The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Killing Time: Archaeology and the First World War

AlanCurragh

Anyone know anything about this book? Here is what Amazon says -

At the dawn of the twenty-first century, the Great War stands at the furthest edge of living memory. There are a handful of men alive who fought in the trenches of the Somme and Flanders. Within their own lifetimes, their memories have become epic history. Hardly a month passes without some dramatic and sometimes tragic discovery being made along the killing fields of the Western Front. Poignant remains of British soldiers buried during battle and then forgotten - lying in rows arm in arm, or found crouching at the entrance to a dugout. Whole 'underground cities' of trenches, dugouts, and shelters, preserved in the mud of Flanders - with newspapers and blankets scattered where they were left. There are field hospitals carved out of the chalk country of the Somme, tunnels marked with graffiti by long dead hands, and tons of volatile bombs and gas canisters waiting to explode. Yet, while there are innumerable books on the history of the war, there is not a single book on its archaeology. Nicholas J. Saunders' new book is therefore unique. In an authoritative and accessible way, it would bring together widely scattered discoveries, and offer fresh insights into the human dimension of the war.

The only reference I can find on the forum is a recommendation by Martin Brown. Just wondering if anyone else had comments...

Thanks

Alan

I tend to remember "The Killing Time" as a volume by Edwin Grey on the submarine war. I used to take a paperback copy with me to read when attending hospital appointments until I was told off by one of the moderators lest it should create the wrong impression amongst other patients.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the synopsis of this book. It was only published on April 1st this year. i also would be interested to hear what others think of it. The author has written numerous history books from several different periods.

Best wishes

Robbie

I'm sure the synopsis is more exciting than the book, will wait til its remandered.

Mick

is that comment tongue in cheek or serious? :unsure:

Robbie

Sounds like you are not recommending it then, Dave?

Alan

Just read it and found it quite informative if not repetitive in places. Worth a read I think

tim

Hi all,

Nic has written some very informative works on trench art, amongst other topics, and is thus very familiar with this subject matter. I'm mid-way through the book and am enjoying it, partly as it gives a good general picture of the current state of archaeological methodologies of the Great War, a synopsis of information. The Diggers are given good coverage as major players within work undertaken in Belgium. Depends what you want from a book - but I have found much of the information to be fascinating and powerful (then again I must confess to not being entirely impartial!)

Cheers

Richard

thanks richard and tim. i think i'll order a copy now after reading your reviews.

Robbie

I spent some time reading through it and did not buy it.

Felt it rehashed too much already known and really I wasnt learning anything new.

Kathie

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone - some mixed views on the book. If only a local bookshop had a copy so I could peruse....

Alan

Nic has written some very informative works on trench art, amongst other topics, and is thus very familiar with this subject matter. ... I have found much of the information to be fascinating and powerful (then again I must confess to not being entirely impartial!)

I am impartial. I have Nicholas Saunders' 'Trench Art: Materialities and Memories of War' and his paper entitled 'Excavating Memories: archaeology and the Great War, 1914 - 2001' [Antiquity, Vol 76, No 291, March 2002] and I enjoyed them both, though I am not an expert. I thought they were rigorous yet accessible, with an excellent, thorough range of references. This would persuade me to read another book by the same author.

Gwyn

All

I have reviewed this book and it's a really good overview of the situation as it stands at the moment with NML, the Diggers, Alalin Jacques working in the field but it also draws in previous work, including sites found and excavated by troops in WW1.

I'm amazed at Kathie saying there was nothing new in it, as it is the first time some material, including mine has appeared in print. There was new stuff for me in there, despite being deeply involved in Great War Archaeology. At the moment there is nothing better on this sibject.

Best

Martin

• 1 year later...

Just read this one. I borrowed it from the library and I don't think I would buy it.

It was a little too 'dry ' for me and personally I didn't think it read very well.

If you have a specific interest in Trench Art you might want to purchase it, as much of the book concentrated on the various forms of Trench Art.

An okay lend from the library but not an exciting book to read because of the author's style rather than the subject matter.

I would agree with Martin (g'day Martin- how's things?).

The book is a good survey of the burgeoning discipline of battlefield archaeology as it stands. For me, it turned my preconceptions of Great War archeology (something I was more than mildly skeptical about) on its head. His discussion of how archaeologists can use graffiti, trench art and tourist amenities as evidence to interpret the past and our relationship with that past was quite stimulating. What was, I thought, a bunch of quirky middle aged British boffins scraping around in the dirt in search for a few bullets and tins of bully beef is, as it turns out a sophisticated and very relevant branch of scholarship. Although, as I discovered, its one that goes well beyond the boundaries of traditional military history- for Saunders and his ilk, the social and cultural history of the Great War (and its aftermath) is the primary concern.

Bods might have a point- but I thought it was very readable. If your definition of dry is books with extensive block quotes narrating battlefield action, then yes, 'Killing Time' might be a bit dry for you. I found it scholarly, yet at the same time very readable and eminently capable of stretching my understanding of the First World War.