The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ebay book success

Len Trim

Hi,

had a successful foray on ebay yesterday. Won both 'Eye Deep in Hell' and 'The Hell They Called High Wood' :rolleyes:

Looking forward to a good read.

Len

I must say that Ebay even with all of its faults is a great place to obtain cheap books from.

My collection is growing and growing thanks to this forum and its excellent book section.

Ive got my eye on a copy of High wood myself.

Hope you enjoy it.

Steve.

Hi,

I often wonder how many GWF members are bidding against one another! Ebay is certainly a good source for books. Also there is so little money involved the buying and selling of books does not appear to attract the 'wide boys'. One thing I do watch out for is the post and packing charges. There is a copy of Spears' 'Liaison' available but I refuse to pay the five pound fifty pence they want to post a paperback! Maybe it's just the Scot in me.

Len

I'm the tightest GWF member, hence the failure to win these books !

Mick D :lol:

I agree with the Liason postage being high and its stopped me from buying also.

Mind you I beleive it's a big sized book so maybe we are all abit tight. :D

How much did you pay? these books are cheap in most secondhand bookshops.

Mick

Hi,

I often wonder how many GWF members are bidding against one another! Ebay is certainly a good source for books. Also there is so little money involved the buying and selling of books does not appear to attract the 'wide boys'. One thing I do watch out for is the post and packing charges. There is a copy of Spears' 'Liaison' available but I refuse to pay the five pound fifty pence they want to post a paperback! Maybe it's just the Scot in me.

Len

I own a copy of this paperback and I don't believe he will get much change out of a deep sea diver after packaging and postage. It's a big book.

Hi,

I paid £3 for 'Eye Deep In Hell' and £6.50p for 'The Hell They Called High Wood'. They may come cheaper where there are lots of good second hand bookshops, but that does not include Fife.

Len

May I speak up for Oxfam bookshops. If you have one near you they are always worth a visit - they are often given whole collections and I have picked up some real bargains, particularly of books published in 20's and 30's I pop into my local one every couple of weeks and its always worth browsing

Ebay seves its purpose, but before bidding for books I always check bookbutler for current titles, and Addall and alibris for out of print ones.

Prices on ebay can be silly. I bought a paperback about Henry Williamson for about £8.99 in Borders a couple of years ago, to read overnight in a hotel on a business trip; decided that I didn't want to keep it, and put it on ebay the following week as used, starting at something like £1.99, and it sold for £16. I was mildly gobsmacked, but forced myself to accept the money.