The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Three Books on British Command 1914 -1918

Crunchy

I have noticed three books available on Amazon.com that address the issue of British Generalship and Command on the Western Front. These are:

British Generalship on the Western Front: Defeat into Victory by Simon Robbins;

Command and Control on the Western Front: The British Army's experience 1914 -18 by Gary Sheffield and Dan Todman; and

Directing Operations: British Corps Command on the Western Front 1914 -1918 by Andy Simpson

The first two books get a 5 star rating from one customer review each, both of which are fairly thin, and Simpson's book is yet to be reviewed. I don't know any of the authors or their previous work.

Have any Forum members read any of these books and if so what is your opinion of them?

Regards

Chris

Chris,

I have read the one on Corps command, found it really informative, after I had finished, if that makes sense, whilst reading it just seemed to be a blur of FSR1 every sentence. But once I had finished, I had a clear picture of how and why the chellenges changed for Corps commanders. Would recommend the book, but say it is very hard going you need to keep going.

Ashamed to say I have not read no2, must do so, I believe it is good, but given the authors I can guess which side it comes down on, not that it is a problem to me.

Not even picked up no1 though.

regards

Arm

Chris,

The second book was reviewed in this thread:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...st&p=284752

It dealt with structure mainly and, sadly, much less with process. Virtually nothing about how and why command decisions were made.

I reviewed Simpson's book here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...st&p=498342

As Arm suggested, it suffered too much from the focus on Field Service Regulations. The level of detail was uneven but the book is a very significant step forward, more so than Sheffield and Todman's book.

Like Arm, I have not got hold of the first book yet.

Robert

Books 2 and 3 are useful. I regret I have not read them cover to cover but do dip into them frequently. Useful resources. Agree with Robert that the Simpson book offers more than Command and Contol.

Jon

Chris Baker's last sentence succintly describes my thoughts on Simon Robbin's book :) .

Robert

Arm, Robert and Jonathan,

Thank you very much for your most useful comments, including those on the threads Robert posted. I appreciate your views; much more substantive and to the point than the reviews at Amazon.

Many thanks

Chris

Chris.

Many thanks. Yes, I choked when I saw the hardback price but then saw they have a paperback copy at a much more reasonble cost US$35.95, and the Aussie $ is doing very well against the greenback at the moment.

Again many thanks.

Chris

Thanks, guys. I had the Simpson book on my birthday pressie list (3rd August, in case any of you wanted to....), and the review in JSAHR was broadly good; the Robbins looks like a library book too me.

Thanks, guys. I had the Simpson book on my birthday pressie list (3rd August, in case any of you wanted to....), and the review in JSAHR was broadly good; the Robbins looks like a library book too me.

Whilst awaiting the book from the library, you could read about Ainsdale!

Bruce

I reviewed the Simpson book for the National Army Museum. An excellent piece of work, although in places it does read like the doctoral thesis from which it is derived. Nonetheless, an excellent piece of work which deserves a place on the serious student's bookshelf - amongst others'!

I reviewed the Simpson book for the National Army Museum. An excellent piece of work, although in places it does read like the doctoral thesis from which it is derived. Nonetheless, an excellent piece of work which deserves a place on the serious student's bookshelf - amongst others'!

Staffsyeoman,

Many thanks for your response.

Regards

Chris