The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ainsdale War Memorial

Steven Broomfield

Ainsdale in 1914 was a small village on the coast, south of Southport; it appears to have been, to some extent, a dormitory for the well-to-do from Liverpool (it was on the railway line from Southport to Liverpool).

On 26th November, 1920, the Bishop Liverpool (father of Noel Chavasses) unveiled a memorial to 43 men and 1 woman who had died in the Great War. Now forum member Bruce Hubbard has edited a small but valuable volume on the names on this memorial.

Bruce has combined research from local papers (the Southport Visiter - yes, it is spelt like that!), letters, and a volume produced by the local Civic Society in 2004. There are many pictures - the men themselves, their houses as they now are (where still available to photograph), their graves, cap badges, cemeteries, and so on.

Of added interest, Bruce has included some extra snippets - on the "Death Penny", the Gallipoli Campaign, the Thiepval Memorial, and more.

As always, there are anomalies - for example, the name Richard Sutton appears twice, but only one man of that name died - has he been included twice? There are - unusually - a brother and sister included: Captain Claude Reginald Boue Blandy (5th S Lancs), who died on 8th April 1916, and Sister Stella Rose Boue Blandy (QAIMNS), died 13th January 1919.

Also of note is the fact that some of the research was undertaken by 5 Year 9 students at Bruce's (ex) school. Although Ainsdale Hope High School has now been closed (and Bruce has now become ex-Head of History!), the work this school undertook has been put into a tangible form. Assistance was also given by something called "The North Sefton City Learning Centre" ( :blink: )

At £10 (plus P&P), this book is an unpretentious guide to the men who did their bit, and as such, does the job well.

I do have to wonder, though, why it needed to be printed in Canada - green miles, or what?

If members are interested in knowing more, I am sure a PM to Bruce would elicit an answer.

Ainsdale in 1914 was a small village on the coast, south of Southport; it appears to have been, to some extent, a dormitory for the well-to-do from Liverpool (it was on the railway line from Southport to Liverpool).

On 26th November, 1920, the Bishop Liverpool (father of Noel Chavasses) unveiled a memorial to 43 men and 1 woman who had died in the Great War. Now forum member Bruce Hubbard has edited a small but valuable volume on the names on this memorial.

Bruce has combined research from local papers (the Southport Visiter - yes, it is spelt like that!), letters, and a volume produced by the local Civic Society in 2004. There are many pictures - the men themselves, their houses as they now are (where still available to photograph), their graves, cap badges, cemeteries, and so on.

Of added interest, Bruce has included some extra snippets - on the "Death Penny", the Gallipoli Campaign, the Thiepval Memorial, and more.

As always, there are anomalies - for example, the name Richard Sutton appears twice, but only one man of that name died - has he been included twice? There are - unusually - a brother and sister included: Captain Claude Reginald Boue Blandy (5th S Lancs), who died on 8th April 1916, and Sister Stella Rose Boue Blandy (QAIMNS), died 13th January 1919.

Also of note is the fact that some of the research was undertaken by 5 Year 9 students at Bruce's (ex) school. Although Ainsdale Hope High School has now been closed (and Bruce has now become ex-Head of History!), the work this school undertook has been put into a tangible form. Assistance was also given by something called "The North Sefton City Learning Centre" ( :blink: )

At £10 (plus P&P), this book is an unpretentious guide to the men who did their bit, and as such, does the job well.

I do have to wonder, though, why it needed to be printed in Canada - green miles, or what?

If members are interested in knowing more, I am sure a PM to Bruce would elicit an answer.

Many thanks for your kind comments!

:D

Bruce

If he'd brought some copies to the pub, I might have bought one :ph34r:

He did....and left them in the car....didn't feel it was appropriate to go hawking wares!

Bruce

If he'd brought some copies to the pub, I might have bought one :ph34r:

I remember the days when the best you got in the pub was The Watchtower <_<

I remember the days when the best you got in the pub was The Watchtower <_<

This is a better read!

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

No other criticisms?

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Signed copies are available............

Bruce

Signed copies are available............

Bruce

Me, Sir. Me, Sir! May I have one please?

Would the author care to deliver it personally and take tea with the Home Secretary and I?

:rolleyes:

Consultations will ensue with THE BOSS! She is away...in Welsh Wales at an eisdeth, er...eisded...er....you know...that Welsh thing!

I will consult, in the expectation of tea for her, and coffee for me!

Bruce

Splendid, we shall await the results of your consultation.

However, we are away for a week from this weekend so if you call next week you'd only get to speak with the staff.