The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Charles Sackville-West

Chris_Baker

Charles "Tit Willow" Sackville-West. Took over as Permanent Military Representative at the Supreme War Council from Henry Rawlinson in 1918. To date - and I've been looking hard - I can find next to nothing on him. Anyone know of any sources, archives, useful references to him?

There's nothing really substantial in 'The Times' either, apart from half a dozen brief references to Sackville-West's appointment to the Versailles Conference and Inter Ally War Committee in April 1918. There's a couple of documents in the Liddle Collection, but these relate to the Versailles Peace Conference in 1919, and I don't know how much help they'd be.

http://brs.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/brs_engine

Cheers,

Dave

The link to the Liddle Collection doesn't appear to be working. Sorry.

If Charles is one of 'those' Sackville-Wests, there might perhaps be something in the archives at Knole. If I'm not mistaken, Harold Nicholson, Vita S-W's husband, was also involved in the Versailles Conference, so there might be something in his memoirs/diaries too. Perhaps an approach to the National Trust, asking whether they have anything in their collections at either Knole or Sissinghurst?

Mick

Hi Chris,

There is a big write-up in the 1948 Who's Who about Maj Gen Charles John Sackville-West [4th Baron] which gives service in Burma 1891, South Africa 1900, Great War, etc, etc.

He was British Military Representative of Allied Military Committee of Versailles 1918 and Military Attache, Paris 1920-24.

If this is the man and you cannot access a Who's Who, let me know and I will type out the entry for you.

Ian.

Chris,

Don't know if this is of use to you:

Who's Who 1940

SACKVILLE, 4th Baron, created 1876; Maj.-Gen. Charles John Sackville-West, K.B.E., cr. 1919; C.B. 1921; C.M.G. 1915; born 10 Aug. 1870; son of Colonel Hon. W.E. Sackville-West, Grenadier Guards, and Georgina, y. d. of George Dodwell, Kevinsfoot, Co. Sligo; S. brother, 1928; m. 1st, 1897, Maude Cecilia (d.1920), d. of late Captain Mathew John Bell of Bourne Park, Kent; one s. one d.; 2nd 1924, Mrs. Anne Meredith Bigelow, New York. Entered Army, K.R.R.C., 1889; Captain 1898; Major 1905; Lt.-Col. 1914; Col. 1916; Maj.-Gen. 1919; served Manipur, 1891 (despatches); Burma 1891-92; South Africa 1899-1900 (despatches thrice, brevet of Major, Queens medal 6 clasps); European War, 1914-18 (despatches 5 times, Bt. Col., promoted Maj.-Gen.); British Military Representative of Allied Military Committee of Versaillles, 1918; and Military Attache, Paris, 1920-24; Lieutenant Governor of Guernsey and its dependencies, 1925-29; retired pay, 1929.

Heir: s. Hon. Edward Charles Sackville-West, q.v. Address: Knole, Sevenoaks.Telephone Sevenoaks 146. Club Army & Navy

See also Baron Romiily.

Andy

Also in the 1955 Who's Who.

Andy

There are references to him in "The War Memoirs of Earl Stanhope" who also served at Versailles with him after finishing his staff job. If you need these references let me know.

Andy

I have an average photocopy of him from the IWM, if you would care for it, Just dont tell Alan Wakefeild.

regards

Arm

Ian,

I think the link you posted will be blocked to most, possibly including Chris, so I have taken the liberty:

Times Wedsneday 9th May 1962.

Sackville-West1.jpg

Sackville-West2.jpg

(In two parts so it hopefully shows at full size)

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...