The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lieutenant-Colonel Arthur Bertram LAWSON, D.S.O.

roger

On my local war memorial there is the name Arthur Bertram Lawson who I can only assume is this man.

Lieutenant-Colonel Arthur Bertram LAWSON, D.S.O. & Bar - Killed 24th June 1918 - 2/5th Battalion Glosters.

Commissioned into the 11th Hussars. Took over command of the 2/5th Glosters in March 1918. Awarded the D.S.O. 21st April 1918 and again 16th September 1918. "Lt-Col. Lawson was walking in front of his line on the south side of the Noc stream, he had gone out alone to satisfy himself personally as to certain enemy dispositions. He was seen a few yards from a German post and then disappeared behind a hedge. The sound of rifle shots and bombs was heard and he was not seen again. His body was found some days later and buried close to the Noc (Robecq) ... To the 2/5th Glosters it was like a personal bereavement. "

Brigadier-General Pagan : "This officer was only approached by one other as a battalion commander among the many I met in France. He was absolutely fearless, very able, and was devoted to the welfare of his men. He was always unruffled and was a very fine leader of men." Buried at St. Venant-Robecq British Cemetery, Robecq.

However I know where assumption can sometimes lead so if anyone can confirm this man had connections with Bedale North Yorkshire or can provide any additional information I would be very pleased.

Happy New Year,

Roger.

Name: LAWSON

Initials: A B

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: 11th (Prince Albert's Own) Hussars

Secondary Regiment: Gloucestershire Regiment

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 2nd/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 24/06/1918

Awards: DSO

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. C. 12.

Cemetery: ST. VENANT-ROBECQ ROAD BRITISH CEMETERY, ROBECQ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades

for BEDALE in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.

LOCAL INFORMATION.

PLACES OF WORSHIP, MINISTERS, AND TIMES OF SERVICE.

Parish Church - Rev. J. G. Beresford; Sundays, 8 a.m., 10-33 a.m., 6-30 p.m.; daily, 8-45 a.m.

Roman Catholic (Aiskew) - Rev. Jas. A. Butler; Sundays, 9 a.m. and 10-30 alternately, and 6-30 p.m.; daily, 9 a.m.

Wesleyan - Rev. E. Russell and Rev. W. Barnes, Sundays, 10-30 am., 6-30 p.m.; Wednesdays; 7-30 p.m.

Baptist - Rev. G. Charlesworth;Sundays, 10-30 a.m., 6-30 p.m.; Wednesdays, 7-30 p.m.

Primitive Methodist (Aiskew) - Rev. A. J. Bull; Sundays, 2 p.m., 6-30 p.m.: Thursdays, 7-30 p.m.

Salvation Army (Aiskew) - Sundays, 11 a.m., 6-30 p.m.

MAGISTRATES, PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF HANG EAST.

Chairman - Charles Carter, Esq.

Beresford-Peirse Sir H. M. de la Poer, Bart.

Booth W. C., Esq.

Dodsworth Sir C. E. S., Bart.

Elliot G. W., Esq.

Gothorp J., Esq.

Hutton-Squire R., Esq.

Lascelles Capt. D. A. G.

Lawson Sir John, Bart.

Lister S. C., Esq.

Lister S. C., junr., Esq.

Milbank H. W. V., Esq.

Milbank P. C., Esq.

Rouse H., Esq.

Russell W. D., Esq.

Clerk - E. D. Swarbreck.

Petty Sessions are held every alternate Tuesday, in the Court House, Town Hall, at 12 o'clock noon.

Police Station (Aiskew) - - John Holmes, inspctr.

County Councillor - Sir Hy. Monson de la Poer Beresford-Peirse, Bart., Bedale hall

possibly Sir John Lawson is related

Thanks for that Christine. I'd already tried that avenue and thought the same as you but thanks for looking anyway, it's appreciated.

Incidently here is another name from the memorial which is in Bulmers Directory.

The family still live in the area.

CHARLES Z BERESFORD

2nd Bn., Northamptonshire Regiment, 24th Brigade, 8th Division died on

Sunday 9 May 1915. Age 22 KIA.

Son of Mary de Vere Hunt (formerly Beresford), of Alexander House, Alma Rd., Windsor, and the late Lt. C. de la Poer Beresford (R.N.). PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL Comines-Warneton, Hainaut, Belgium

Roger

I think I may have found him

Lawson family tree

Arthur Lawson

III. Arthur Lawson Esquire of Hounslow Co. Middlesex, Chemist, born 23 July

married first Ada, daughter of James Johnson Esquire of London (ob. s.p.

190--).

and secondly, Grace, daughter of George Norwood Esquire and had issue a

daughter and a son.

1. Arthur Lawson

1. Blanche May Gertrude

Here is Arthur the chemist in 1881

Dwelling: 156 Cromwell Road

Census Place: Kensington, London, Middlesex, England

Source: FHL Film 1341011 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 0051 Folio 59 Page 43

Marr Age Sex Birthplace

John ALLDEN M 36 M Ledbury, Hereford, England

Rel: Head

Occ: Chemist

Adelaide ALLDEN M 29 F Nether Broughton, Leicester, England

Rel: Wife

Ethel M. ALLDEN 3 F Kensington, Middlesex, England

Rel: Daur

John D. JAMIERSON U 40 M Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland

Rel: Border

Occ: Merchant

Richard BOURKIS U 22 M London, Middlesex, England

Rel: Visitor

Occ: Student Theology

Arthur LAWSON U 22 M Whitby, York, England

Rel: Assistant

Occ: Chemist

Ellen HAYNES U 22 F Waltham, Leicester, England

Rel: Servant

Occ: Cook Domestic Serv

Annie LARD U 19 F Saltley, Leicester, England

Rel: Servant

Occ: Housemaid Domestic Serv

I think you will need to look at Whitby, and this Arthur's 2nd marriage

a little more evidence is the name Bertram, which tends to be a Catholic name.

Sir John Lawson's family is highly Catholic, just look at the number of nuns and priests in the family tree

also see Lawson family of recusants

But why Arthur Bertram is remembered at Bedale, rather than Whitby, if he is going to be remembered in Yorkshire, I don't know.

How far away is Whitby?

Nice work Christine. I think you've found him. I've just had time to have a quick glance through the info and I'll have a proper look later but there are a few references to places closer to Bedale than Whitby, which is approx. 50 miles away.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how I get on.

Happy New Year. Still 1/2 hour to go here.

Roger.

Hi Roger and Christine,

Last night on the chat room Christine asked if I would look up the 1901 census on Arthur, here is what I found.

Arthur Lawson, aged 43, born in Whitby Yorkshire, living at 83 High Street, Houndslow, Middx.

Married to Ada Lawson aged 36, who was born in Marylebone London.

Arthurs occupation/profession was a Chemist News Agent, his employment status Own Account.

Only Arthur and Ada were listed as living at this address.

Hope this helps you Roger!

Alie.

Well no it doesn't

If Arthur the chemist was married to Ada in 1901, with no children, then his 2nd marriage must have been later, and his son Arthur, from the 2nd marriage, who I thought could be Arthur Bertram, must have been only a child in 1914

However Arthur Bertram could have been another member of the family.

Roger, get in touch with the Lawson family tree poster

Alie, is there an Arthur Bertram Lawson anywhere in 1901?

Christine & Alie,

Thanks for your help. I have emailed the famly tree poster to see if that turns anything up.

Can anyone identify the medals worn by Lt. Col Lawson?

Roger.

Hi,

OK I have found an Arthur Bertram Lawson on the 1901 census, who was aged 18, single, at the Royal Military College in Sandhurst, whose occupation was a Gentleman Cadet. He was born in Leeds Yorkshire.

Do you think this is him?

Alie.

Sounds like it could be him Alie. My email to the Lawson family tree originator was returned to me, so no luck there.

Roger.

The only birth that could fit is this

Births Mar 1883

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAWSON Theresa Leeds 9b 514

LAWSON Male Leeds 9b 517

Sandhurst Royal Military College Sandhurst

A few more additions:

Lawson was commissioned into 11 H on 8 May 01, promoted Lt 27 Feb 02 and Capt 22 Feb 09. He commanded A Sqn 11 H for a period during WW1 and his nephew, JCAD Lawson commanded the same squadron in the desert for two years from 1941-3. He was commissioned into 11 H on 2 Feb 33.

As for the photograph, he is wearing the DSO with rosette (to indicate) bar, and 1914 Star. Not sure what third medal is. Interesting that he is wearing 11 H collar badges.

Charles M

Charles,

Thankyou for that. Every piece of information helps. I went to the local museum this morning to see if they could shed any light on a connection with Bedale but it is closed until april for renovation ;)

I suggest you also go to the Bedale Catholic Church and see if they know anything about the Lawson family

I went to the church yesterday to see if there was a memorial plaue inside to Lt. Col. Lawson. Funnily enough there wasn't, perhaps I should have gone to the Catholic church ;)

Thanks for that tip Christine.

Roger

• 4 weeks later...

This is taking some time but I think I am a step closer to finding a link with Bedale.

In 1913 Sir Arthur Tredgold Lawson Bart. was a Justice of the peace in Bedale.

I believe he could have been the father of Lt. Col Lawson.

• 1 month later...

Today I got a phone call from a man in NZ, who, when searching the net for mention of Lawson came across this thread, and realised I too was in NZ and searched the phone book.

He is a relative of Col Lawson DSO and has the entire family tree!

Unfortunately I did not take his number but did invite him to join us here and add to the thread.

Mr Lawson, please add more to the thread, and maybe you can help Roger who is researching a memorial with your relative on it.

2/5th bn War Diary:

24th June 1918 – Quiet. Lt-Col. A.B. Lawson, DSO missing from recce patrol 6.30 am. 1 OR killed. Major Miller takes command.

p.s. I see that you have copied the entry from my web site, I don't mind it being used but it would be nice to cited as the source; as Christine has done for the photo. B)

Steve

http://www.redcoat.info/1918off.html

Steve,

Thankyou for thr information. I can only apologise not citing you as the source for my origonal post but I didn't know you were. I was sent the info by a friend who didn't say where the information was from.

Anyway, thanks again,

Roger.

Thanks Roger,

I'm not usually touchy about it, but I found a page on a site that had copied a page from mine and stuck their copyright at the bottom of it! After years of research and creating three websites I was a bit ******!

If anyone is interested my other sites are:

http://www.redcoat.info/memindex3.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/mp/memorials/memindz1.htm

Steve