The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

King"s Liverpool Regiment

Guest michael7

Pte John Hunter 649314 ,my great grandfather served in the king's liverpool regiment he also had two brothers Thomas and Arthur who I know served in the army.Is it likely that they served in the same regiment if they all lived in the same area of West Lancashire,or did this have no bearing on the recruitment?

Michael,

Geographic location could have had a bearing on the regiment a man enlisted into, but that isn't the only factor.

Where in West Lancashire was your relative from? I am researching the men of Ormskirk & District and I have information relating to a number of Hunters.

Prior to January 1916, when conscription came in, men did have some choice in which they enlisted. Many enlisted into regiments in which their friends or family were already serving. If there was a territorial battalion with links to the area, then many men would already have been members, or known someone who was and therefore it would have been logical for them to join up with them.

Additionally, the recruiting teams from many of the New Army would have toured the area, with different battalions recruiting in the same area on different days, so it may have been down to the day on which a man enlisted and the persuasive skills of the recruiting team.

After January 1916, with the coming of conscription, men would have had little, if any, choice.

And finally, the corps, such as the Royal Engineers, artillery, Army Service Corps etc, didn't have specific recruiting areas (although their territorial units would have had), so a man could have served just about anywhere.

Sorry to be so vague, but I hope that helps a little.

Regards,

Ken

Guest michael7

Hi Ken

thanks for your reply, my great grandfather and his brothers were all from Lydiate but his father was originally from Halsall.If this ties in with any of your Ormskirk information please let me know.

Thanks , Mike

Mike,

I have details of a John Hunter from Lydiate who served in the 7th Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment, enlisting in July 1915.

He was the son of Henry Hunter of Pilling Lane, Lydiate.

At the time of his enlistment he was living with his wife and two children in Lydiate.

This John had a brother Edward who enlisted into the Army in September 1914, and served in Salonika from about November 1915. He was probably in the Royal Artillery.

Pictures of both men below.

post-2-1072998820.jpg

The main recruitment area for the 7th Kings was what is now North Sefton, Merseyside, which is the area north of the Liverpool boundary and takes in the old West Lancashire area of Bootle as far as Southport. The 7th were based at Park Street, Bootle. part of the Liverpool Brigade, West Lancs Division.

A selection of some towns and villages in the recruitment area:

Bootle

Litherland

Seaforth

Waterloo

Crosby

Sefton

Maghull

Lydiate

Melling

Aughton

Ormskirk

Formby

Southport

Guest michael7

Thanks to everyone for their replies especially Ken.I've sent you an email to thank you.By the way is John the one on the left?

Cheers , Mike

• 2 weeks later...

my Great Grandfather, Pte 359315 Robert Henry KNEEN attested in Douglas, Isle of Man 5/3/17 and had his medical in Seaforth, Merseyside the next day. He joined the 1/10th KLR (Liverpool Scottish).

I,ve read the unit history "Bravest of Hearts" and a volume of Everard' history of the King's Liverpool Regiment (KLR). In both there are a noticible number of surnames of Manx origin. Although some will undoubtedly be Merseysiders (the Manx often emigrated here in search of work etc) I would assume a good number are Manxmen.

Did the KLR specifically recruit in the IOM, indeed did the 10th specifically recruit here?

I am aware that there was still a volunteer battalion of the Regiment (7th?) on the Island at the outbreak of war (it survived due to the Island's unique constitutional position). Did this influence Manxmen to go to this Regiment? Indeed did they have any choice.

Incidently the Kings Regiment still occasionally come to the IOM to recruit (there's no Forces recruiting office here).

The KLR did have a large number of soldiers that came from the Isle Of Man. My Great Grandfather and his brother (killed at Loos sept 25th 1915) served with the First Battalion. The KLR had links with the IOM through the IOM Vollunteers, from Victorian times right up to the Great War,as they kept their name in 1907 when the Territorial act came in and were part of the 7th Battalion. Also the 16th KLR training battalion based at Hoylake trained a number of men from the IOM noticebly,a unit of the Manx Service Company,which was formed from members of the IOM Volls who were maily members of the camp guards,who were gaurding enemy aliens/pows in Cunningham's Camp in Douglas and Knockaloe near Peel. They wore the KLR capbadge and also a specially made 3 legs of man on their shoulder titles There is also a large number of Douglas men listed under the KLR on Douglas war memorial.

Re the 7th Isle of Man Volunteer Bn Kings Liverpool Regt.

I dont know if this will load,but I enclose ( hopefully )an extract from my book Insignia of the kings Liverpol Regt-Volunteers and Territorials which might be of interest

Peter Brydon

There is no image , could you try again pse. I would be very interested in this, and anything to do with the Manx unit or the 1/10 Liverpool Scottish.

Also re insignia, I have my G Grandfather's Liverpool Scottish cap badge, can you tell me what other insignia would be perculiar to the Liverpool Scottish? Would they have standard Regimental buttons etc ?

would a soldier attached to 1/10 wear markings that would distinguish him from the 2/10 or 3/10?

Did they wear Divisional or Brigade badges?

I'm very new to the subject, even obvious stuff would be very useful

cheers

My brother and I have been writing an in-depth history on the Manx Service Company and have a number of letters,photos,postcards and personnal histories regarding this unit. There will also be a display of items displayed at the Manx Avaition and Military Museum at Ronaldsway airport IOM in the near future. We are always on the look out for any related items reagarding the MSC.

manxsapper,

You've probably seen this, which I happened to save from the on-line London Gazette last night. I guess it represents the end of a direct line from the origins of the Volunteers in 1859 -

BY THE KING.

A PROCLAMATION.

GEORGE R.I.

WHEREAS by Our Proclamation, dated the fifth day of August, nineteen hundred and fourteen, We ordered Our Lieutenant-Governor of the Isle of Man to call out the Volunteer Corps of the Isle of Man forthwith for actual military service

AND WHEREAS by section nineteen of the Volunteer Act, 1863, as applied to the Isle of Man, after the Volunteer Corps for the Isle of Man has been called out for actual military service, the Corps shall be released from actual military service only by an order in writing signed by the Governor of the Island or the person for the time being fulfilling the duties of Governor, and addressed and delivered to the Commanding Officer of the Corps, which order the said Governor or other person shall issue upon or as1 soon as may be after the Proclamation of Us declaring the occasion to have passed and no sooner or otherwise

AND WHEREAS other arrangements have now been made for the carrying out of the duties performed by the said Volunteer Corps:

Now, THEREFORE, We do hereby, by and with the advice of Our Principal Secretary of State for the Home Department, declare the occasion for the calling out for actual military service of the said Volunteer Corps to have passed, and We do hereby direct Our Lieutenant-Governor of the Isle of Man by order

in writing addressed and delivered to the Commanding Officer of the said Corps to release the said Corps from actual military service.

Given at Our Court at Buckingham

Palace, this sixth day of November,

in the year of our Lord one

thousand nine hundred and sixteen,,

and in the Seventh year of Our.

Reign.

GOD SAVE THE KING.

Jock Bruce

Manxsapper- if you will let me have your E mail address I will attempt to send you the relevant pages relating to the Liverpool Scottish and 7th Isle of Man Volunteer Battalion.

Peter.Brydon@btinternet.com

manxsapper,

I have tried to E mail you a couple of times with out success.Can you mail me at the address given before and I will reply with the photos etc I said I would send

Regards

Peter Brydon

• 3 weeks later...
Did the KLR specifically recruit in the IOM, indeed did the 10th specifically recruit here?

According to the February 1908 Army List, the 7th (Isle of Man) Volunteer Battalion was attached to the 6th Volunteer Battalion. The 6th VB became the 9th Bn on the formation of the Territorial Force. This attachment is not mentioned in later issues of the Army List that I have to hand.

Ken