The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"Testament of Youth" Vera Brittain

Mercian Volunteer

I've just received this morning a first edition of Testament of Youth via a successful Ebay bid. A real first edition. Not a reprint, a very first edition for £5.50. All I want now is a dustjacket to match and I will be a happy man. I may be waiting a little bit longer for the latter I feel.

For those of you who have have not yet read the book please put it on your To Read list. I guarantee you won't be dissapointed by Vera Brittain's power of words as she recalls her experiences through the Great War years.

:rolleyes:

Steve

• 2 months later...
I've just received this morning a first edition of Testament of Youth via a successful Ebay bid. A real first edition. Not a reprint, a very first edition for £5.50.

That's incredible. Congratulations.

I've just received this morning a first edition of Testament of Youth via a successful Ebay bid. A real first edition. Not a reprint, a very first edition for £5.50. All I want now is a dustjacket to match and I will be a happy man. I may be waiting a little bit longer for the latter I feel.

For those of you who have have not yet read the book please put it on your To Read list. I guarantee you won't be dissapointed by Vera Brittain's power of words as she recalls her experiences through the Great War years.

:rolleyes:

Steve

I heartily agree! If you paid £500 for that copy it would have been a bargain. It is the most moving of Great War works and at times heart-rending. "I, too, take leave of all I ever had." Women are still much underated in litereature, and most certainly were then. Sometimes such a single sentence, as in the Envoi, can be so powerful. Another young women from the Great War lost her cherished brother. She had a bookplate which read "Etre et pas avoir" Roughly translated ' To exist yet have nothing' She was English as well.