The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British battalions on the Somme

stu

Hello and happy new year to you all.

Can anyone tell me what I may find in Ray Westlakes British battalions on the Somme,I already have copies of The first day on the Somme by Martin Middlebrook(one of my favorite Great War books) and The Somme,a day by day account by Chris McCarthy which is also quite good for reference work.

Is it worth me buying a copy?many thanks for any info.

Stu

Hello, Stu,

The book is a record of the movements of every battalion engaged in the battle, from 1st July to 18th November, 1916. It's very much a reference book! Here's a typical example of what you get for a battalion:

EAST LANCASHIRE REGIMENT

1st Battalion. 11th Brigade, 4th Division: In attack on Redan Ridge north of

Beaumont-Hamel (1/7) — heavy losses soon after leaving assembly positions

War Diary notes line of shell holes in front of German wire held until ordered to retire during evening to Mailly-Maillet. To Bertrancourt (4/7), Mailly- Maillet (10/7), front line Beaumont-Hamel (15/7), Bus-Iès-Artois (20/7), Beauval (21/7). Entrained at I)oullens for Ypres sector (22/7). Arrived Longueau from Esquelbecq (18/9) and from there marched to Allonville. To Vaux-sur-Somme (25/9). To Corbie (30/9), Méaulte (1/10) -- work carried out unloading trains. To Citadel Camp (8/10), bivouacs south of Montauban (9/10/, trenches just east of Guillemont (16/10), front line Lesboeufs sector (17/10 Attack on Rainy and Dewdrop Trenches (18/10 Regimental history notes advance as being over ‘a vast lake of mud’ - attackers being shot down, drowned in shell-holes or rounded up at daybreak. All officers in 2 leading companies lost. Casualties — 373. To Guillemont (2010), front line in support (2 1/10), Bernafay Wood (22/10), Sandpit Camp (25/10), Meaulte (27/10). Entrained at Méricourt for Airaines (27/10) and from there marched to billets at Wanel and Sorel.

hope this helps.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info,it seems that this book must contain an amazing amount of info,it must be excellent for pinpointing the all battalion movements,I think I might have to invest in a copy.

Many thanks.

Stu

Stu,

I don't have Ray's book on the Somme but I do have "British Battalions in France & Belgium 1914", as my main interest is the 1914 campaign. The amount of detail is incredible, and I am sure that you will be happy with the Somme book if you get it.

Stu,

Just the 143 infantry battalions, both regular and territorial, which served on the continent in 1914. (British only; not Indian)

Stu,

This series by Ray Westlake is on my 'essential reference' shelf. I can't speak highly enough of them.

Plus, if you order from Ray himself there is usually a substantial discount and they all come signed by the author.

Ken

The books in the series are:

British Battalions in France and Belgium 1914

British Battalions on the Western Front January to June 1915

British Battalions on the Somme

British Regiments at Gallipoli

As others have said - an excellent series. You can order online from Ray Westlake's online catalogue.

Tom

The books in the series are:

British Battalions in France and Belgium 1914

British Battalions on the Western Front January to June 1915

British Battalions on the Somme

British Regiments at Gallipoli

Without doubt these ar superb value as reference volumes - I would not be without any of them.

I think it goes without saying that they are probably no more readable than the typical copy of Wisden (the cricketers almanac), but then that is the joy of them. They serve to answer the odd query; to act as something to dip into and refresh ones views. Most of all they give you the chance to dash off a quick reply to those "What were the umpteenth Blankshires doing on the day my grandfather got killed" questions which appear from time to time.

I would say to anyone expressing interest in these volumes buy, use and enjoy - but don't sit down to read at length!!!

• 5 years later...

Pals,

I've just had a promo e-mail from Amazon for Tracing British Battalions on the Somme by Ray Westlake published in paperback by Pen & Sword Military on 15 Jan 2009.

Am I right in thinking this is simply a re-titled paperback version of the seminal British Battalions on the Somme, which I already own?

Or is it a new edition with revisions, corrections, new material?

Cheers,

Mark

Just echoing everything said here, an excellant book and a fine and essential book if you are a Somme historian / researcher etc. I have found it useful to help ID insignia I have found in France. For example I found an Essex Regt officers button near Ovillers and can say with some certainty which battalion and Div the officer served with and also the action in which it was lost or the period of holding the trench.

Recommended and everytime I visit France it accompanies me.

Regards

TT

Just echoing everything said here, an excellant book and a fine and essential book if you are a Somme historian / researcher etc. I have found it useful to help ID insignia I have found in France. For example I found an Essex Regt officers button near Ovillers and can say with some certainty which battalion and Div the officer served with and also the action in which it was lost or the period of holding the trench.

Recommended and everytime I visit France it accompanies me.

Regards

TT

Absolutely agree TT - one of my most used reference books.

If only Ray would do versions for the remaining gaps - my GF's battalion (12/KRRC) did not go out until mid 1915 and were never in Gallipoli, so Ray's other books are less useful to me :)

Now British Battalions at Passchendaele, British Battalions in the Kaiserschlacht or British Battalions in the Last Hundred Days ... wouldn't they be volumes worth having?!?! :rolleyes:

What I was really asking though, was 'Is this a new edition with revisions? Or just a paperback version of the original?'

Cheers,

Mark

I doubt if it is new or revised as Ray retired some years ago and sold all his books and research papers. However, it remains an excellent and invaluable resource to have.

I doubt if it is new or revised as Ray retired some years ago and sold all his books and research papers. However, it remains an excellent and invaluable resource to have.

Thanks Paul. Good that it's becoming available again, even if in paperback.

Cheers,

Mark