The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Journeyman

Christina

After having a search for my grandfather's WW1 army record which has come up with a list of possibles only, I decided to go through what I had to see if any other details would help locate him. I noticed on my mother's birth certificate his occupation is listed as french polisher [he was trained to do this by the British Legion after losing a leg in action] then journeyman ex army. What is a journeyman and will this information help to locate him when all else has failed? I am at an impassed, as I do not know what regiment he served in. I know he was given a home on the Earl Haig Estate at Morden Surrey after the war. Anyone help. His name was Robert Tucker and he lived in Larch Road Balham during the war, his wife was Annie.

Thanks

Christina

Guest Pete Wood

Christina

These days, to describe someone as a journeyman tends to mean that they are someone who is good enough to do a temporary job when there's an urgent vacancy, but doesn't have sufficient qualifications or skills to be hired permanently - so he is continually moving from one post to another. In other words, a freelance temp.

The original meaning of journeyman, meant someone who'd gone through an apprenticeship and was qualified to do a day's work without supervision.

Journeyman

NOUN: 1. One who has fully served an apprenticeship in a trade or craft and is a qualified worker in another's employ. 2. An experienced and competent but undistinguished worker.

ETYMOLOGY: Middle English journeiman : journei, a day's work.

So I believe, with regard to your Grandfather, that he could do French Polishing, but probably had no permanent position (with a firm/company) - AND that he had previously served in HM Forces.

But I do believe that your Gradfather's injuries might help pin down his service record (if they survive). Others on the forum will confirm this, but would not his injuries entitle him to a numbered silver war badge.....??

Christina. i've come across this expression myself.on my great grandfathers wedding certificate,just a few months after he left his first stint in the army.his occupation is listed as a "file cutter Journeyman". now i've been told two versions of this one 1)that he was a salesman (i find this unlikely) 2)he was a skilled worker who "contracted himself out !!. personally i would go with racing teapots"someone who'd gone through an apprenticeship and was qualified to do a days work,without supervsion". i think this is more likely considering both your great grandfather and mine had both left the army and needed a new trade. STEVEN :)

Yes, I agree with Racing's definition, too. Racing's post mentions an Early English origin, but I heard that the word comes from the French word "journee" - a day - and a journeyman was someone who could work on his own account for a daily rate, rather than being an employee who received a weekly wage. My grandfather was a Journeyman Carter. It meant he had his own horse and cart and did deliveries for small manufacturers who didn't have their own "transport department". I think it was an old-fashioned equivalent of today's self-employed tradesmen.

Tom

Journeyman was an intermediate stage between apprentice and master. That's master in the sense of master craftsman rather than boss.Only a minority made it to master of course.

Hi

Thank you all for your replies. I was told it was a person who had a trade, but the other explanations fit better. Robert Tucker was listed as a general labourer on his wedding certificate in 1908. So unless he did a trade after that or joined the army prior to WW1, one can only hazard a guess.

As regards the silver war badge, I did hope this would help find him, but Chris Baker has done a search for me and unfortunately unless the record has been misfiled, has only been able to come up with a list of possibles despite the fact that Robert was wounded in action. I had hoped if journeyman was a tradesman I could try locating Robert that way.

Regards

Christina

Christina, If you contact the Haig Homes organization

Haig Homes

they may be able to help you

I think it was an old-fashioned equivalent of today's self-employed tradesmen.

Tom

spoke to my dad today,and amongst other things we discussed this particular topic.he is quite strong in his opinion that the above quote is the correct definition of a Journeyman.me personnally go withwhat i said originally. Steven :rolleyes: