The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Capt James STIRLING 3 Cameronians

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

I think this one will prove interesting.....

Name: STIRLING, JAMES

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Date of Death: 02/01/1915

Additional information: Son of Brig. Gen. J. W. Stirling, C.B., C.M.G., and Mrs. C. M. Stirling, of Hensleigh House, Exeter.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 1.

Cemetery: BREWERY ORCHARD CEMETERY

Location Information: Bois-Grenier is a village 3 kilometres south of Armentieres on the D222. Brewery Orchard Cemetery will be found on the east side of the village of Bois-Grenier, on the north side of the D22 road to La Chapelle D'Armentieres.

Historical Information: The cellar of the brewery was used as a dressing station and the cemetery was started in the orchard nearby in November 1914. It was sheltered from enemy observation by ruined houses and continued in use until January 1918. Brewery Orchard Cemetery contains 339 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. There are also four Second World War burials and five German war graves. The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

No. of Identified Casualties: 342

SDGW shows he was Killed in Action, while attached to 1 Bn Cameronians

Guest Pete Wood

Captain Sterling's death appears to be isolated.

A look on SDGW, shows a steady trickle of casualties up until Christmas day, 1914. Then it goes quiet, as if the regiment was no longer in the line (and resting).

Then Capt Stirling is shown as KiA.

There are no other casualties until the 6th January 1915, when the steady toll mounts again - so 1 Cameronians appear to be back in the line.

As an officer, there is a good chance that his death will figure in the Battalion war diary.

Hensleigh House, Tiverton, Exeter

post-1-1073032339.jpg

Brewery Orchard Cemetery

post-1-1073032633.jpg

Guest Pete Wood

Brewery Cemetery was obviously very local to the Cameronian's lines. While Captain Stirling's grave was the first one made in plot 'I.A.', others from the Cameronians followed over the course of the next five months:

Lt WEDDERBURN, ROBERT HAMILTON MACLAGAN 03/02/1915, aged 21 I. A. 2.

Capt BECHER, HENRY OWEN DA BRIDGECOURT, 13/03/1915, aged 25 I. A. 3.

Lt ROOKE, CHARLES DOUGLAS WILLOUGHBY, 19/06/1915, aged 20 I. A. 4.

Lt GRAY, MAGNUS NIGEL, 21/06/1915, aged 20 I. A. 5.

Guest Pete Wood

The Cameronians and its museum

Taking its name from Richard Cameron, a coventanting minister, the Regiment was raised on 14th May 1689. The Covenanters were named after the National Covenant of 1638 which appealed to Charles the First for a Presbyterian system allowing religious and political independence.

This Regiment continued throughout the 18th Century until the merger with the 90th (Perthshire Volunteers) in 1881, when it became the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

August 1914 : in Glasgow. 15 August 1914 : landed at Rouen, as Lines of Communication troops. 22 August 1914 : attached to 19th Brigade, which was not allocated to a Division. 12 October 1914 : transferred with Brigade to 6th Division. 31 May 1915 : transferred with Brigade to 27th Division. 19 August 1915 : transferred with Brigade to 2nd Division. 25 November 1915 : transferred with Brigade to 33rd Division.

Rather than suffer a dilution of its reputation, the Regiment disbanded in 1968 during a period of army restructuring. A formal ceremony to mark the disbanding was held at Douglas (where the Regiment was originally formed 279 years earlier) on the same date, 14th May.

In 1967, the Cameronians Museum was established. It moved to its current site several years later. The two buildings of the original museum and the current one are now linked, creating an enlarged complex. The exhibits will include impressive core displays on the Regiment and more detailed temporary exhibits from the collection on military themes, and joint exhibits using the general and regimental collections.

The Cameronians Regimental Museum and Museum of South Lanarkshire,

129 Muir Street,

Hamilton ML3 6BJ.

Telephone :- 01698 283981

Opening Details :-

Monday to Saturday - 10.00 am to 17.00 pm. Sunday - 12.00 am to 17.00 pm

With the exception of Christmas and New Year Public Holidays.

Disabled access to all public areas.

Captain James Stirling, 3rd Bn, The Cameronians, attached to the 1st Bn. Born in Hong Kong on 7 June 1884, the eldest son of Colonel (later BGen) James Wilfred Stirling, CB, CMG, of The Grange, Rockbeare, Devon who in WW1 commanded the 72nd Bde, RFA. and was CRA, 59th Division) and his wife, Cecil Mary, daughter of MGen Dixon Edward Hoste, CB, RA. Educated at Wellington College from 1898 to 1901 and RMC, Sandhurst. 2nd Lt, 2nd Cameroons on 22 Apr 03; promoted Lieut. on 5 Oct 07. He retired in 1911 and joined the 3rd Bn at Hamilton for Special Reserve duty. Appointed Capt in 1912. Rejoined on the beginning of the Great War and went to France on 6 Oct 14 and attached to the 1st Bn. Killed in the trenches near Armentieres on 2 Jan 15. His brother Lieut. Wilfred Dixon Stirling, RN was lost when HMS Monmouth went down during the battle off Coronel on 1 Nov 14.

Sources: Wellington College Register: De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour.

Regards. Dick Flory

Photo of Captain James Stirling from De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour. Dick Flory

Lets try the photo of Captain James Stirling again! Dick Flory

post-1-1073035208.jpg

And a photo of his brother also from De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour. Dick Flory

post-1-1073035299.jpg

Guest Pete Wood

Well done, Dick.

I think this is the first time a photo has appeared of a man who is being 'remembered.'

I hope more photos, like this, turn up for other men and women.

Guest Pete Wood
It is the third photo to appear.

I'm terribly sorry - especially to those who have posted pictures for the Australian and New Zealand casualties.

It just shows that I need to nurse the few remaining brain cells that I have..... :(

There, there, have a nice cup of tea!