The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Talking Books

Rob Bulloch

Hello to the Forum.

Has there been any Great War books, for example Martin Middlebrook or Lyn MacDonald, have any of their books been put into to an audio format for the visually impaired, or for others that are physically challenged and not able to handle a book. just a thought.

Cheers All Rob.

Lynz.

Thanks for the information on "Forgotten Voices ot the Great War" I will make some enquiries at my local Library

Cheers Rob.

Rob

I see his "Last Post" is also in audio format. Read by Paul McGann - who might have been the McGann who played the Monoculed Mutineer?

John

Brothers in War by Michael Walsh (about the Beechey family) and Peter Hart's The Somme are both available on CD

Thanks Lynz, John and MagicRat for the information would these be available via "Abebooks" by any chance.

Cheers Rob.

I've never ordered CDs from Abebooks, but I'm sure that the other internet bookseller starting with A has them!

Alan

Read by Paul McGann - who might have been the McGann who played the Monoculed Mutineer?

John

And indeed it was. 1986....doesn't time fly!

Thanks All.

Thank you for the information you have given so far, I have made a note of the titles, now and I will get some ordering done thanks again.

Cheers All Rob

I have explored this problem on behalf of a family member who is extremely partially sighted.

You could try posting your question on the RNIB book review forums: here and here. (Rather slow to load.)

See Revealweb for more resources on accessible media.

Search the RNIB catalogue of books.

We are considering purchasing one of the optical readers which scans the text and transmits it to a television screen or monitor, as listening isn't everyone's method of choice.

I'm sorry, I only know British sources.

Gwyn

• 1 month later...

I am not partialy sighted but I bought the 3 CD version of Brothers in War because I like to listen to stories in the car.

I bought it second hand in an Edinburgh Charity Shop whilst on my hols last month. Finished with it now. I will send on to any member who might like, partilaly sighted or not. I will pay the postage on condition that when whoever gets it has finsihed it they do the same for someone else. PM me.

wig