The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Passchendaele 1917: The story of the fallen and Tyne Cot Cemetery

greatspywar

Hello,

Last Friday our new Passchendaele1917 book was officialy presented. The Passchendaele Archives and Tyne Cot Cemetery inventarisation project have resulted in a full colour, hard back with dust cover, 343 pages book.

To everybody on this forum who helped us with gathering information and photos: THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is really appreciated!

All the best,

Jan

Jan - are there any suppliers of the book in the UK?

Thanks

Alan

Magic news but,make sure you have permission to advertise on the forum 1st :unsure:

Best way..for all interested.No?

Jan

A big well done mate on the release of the book. I shall certainly be getting a copy.

I notice it is listed on Amazon but thay say ' at the moment they have no stock'

Will it be available from UK outlets or only through the museum.

Glyn

I was lucky to get a copy the day it arrived at Zonnebeke - it's an excellent book, well produced on high quality paper with many illustrations never before seen in print. A superb piece of work. I believe it is being published by Pen & Sword in the UK.

Agreed - an excellent piece of work - congratulations to all those involved in producing it. I ordered my copies earlier this week and got them yesterday, so don't understand Amazon's problems.

Tom

Agreed - an excellent piece of work - congratulations to all those involved in producing it. I ordered my copies earlier this week and got them yesterday, so don't understand Amazon's problems.

Tom

Tom

Not wanting to help you advertise :rolleyes: but have you got them for sale ?

Glyn

Hello all,

clarification: I am not advertising the book, but I just want everybody to know that it is available. A lot of people have helped (even without knowing). I don't get any profit from the sales of the book. It is available through the Memorial Museum, Pen & Sword and through various other booksellers (such as Amazon etc).

Thank you for the nice comments, Paul. It is indeed a very nice looking book!

regards,

Jan

Tom: thanks as well...

This is a fantastic book filled not just with photos but also stories of individual men including lots of Australian AIF men.

Tom Morgan got me my copy. Thanks Tom.

Robbie

Yes Robbie,

The book includes men from the UK (Scots, English, Royal Naval Division...), Australia, Canadians, South-Africans and New Zealanders. We have tried to get as much differentiation as possible regarding nationality.

I hope you like the reading.

All the best,

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

I received my copy yesterday - and on first impressions, it looks superb. The focus on individual soldiers particularly when their picture is included (& sometimes that of their grave as well) really brings it down to a very personal level.

Well done to Jan & the rest of the team!

Brian

Have just acquired Passchendaele 1917 by Franky Bostyn with contributions from Kristof Blieck, Freddy Declerck, Frans Descamps and Jan Van der Fraenen, there are others mentioned GWF Members Ian McHendry, Bert Heyvaert and Charlotte Cardoen if I have left out anyone else I apologise. I have skimmed through it and I'm sure it will make a very good read with many impressive photographs. It is definately a coffee table book to accompany Passchendaele by Peter Barton.

John

Now this puts me in a real dilema, do I try and support a Pal and try and buy a copy from his very efficent bookselling service, or do I buy it from Amazon and support the GWF.

JOhn

Now,John...

you should buy 2 copies & end the dillema :D

Dave.(got mine on Amazon order)

We will be visiting 'Hedd Wyn' and Zonnebeke Museum friday 10th August and have a 'meet up' with Pierre Vandervelden at Ypres sat. 11th. (We might yomp from Poelkapelle to Tyne Cot if weather permits).

We will be knackerd on our return to north Wales on monday.

We have never stayed in Belgium before (Varlet Farm on the 10th & 11th. Ypers on the 12th) hope they understand 'Cymraeg' or my fragmented English(Lost again today). Will let you know how it went!!!?

Hwyl am y tro

Kevin a Linda

Can someone please tell Tom Morgan that his pm box is full and I can't send him a message :wacko:

Can someone please tell me how much it is? Sounds daft but what is the content?

Would like a copy myself it it includes photos of the soldiers in tyne cot cem and on the memorial

Book arrived safely today courtesy of Tom Morgan (great service, thanks Tom)

Jan

Please pass my comments onto all who were involved in this book.

'An Absolutely stunning book' , superbly illustrated and of the highest quality.

Congratulations to all involved, this book is a must for all.

Glyn

PS - Thanks for page 54, nice to see a local lad remembered.

Hi all,

I think we still have plenty of books available. I am presently out of office till Monday 20th, but I am sure my collegues will be of help at the Museum.

Thank you al for your nice comments on the book!

regards,

Jan