The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Jarvis wrote: "I wonder if you have records of Barnard Castle County School, County Durham within your reach?"

Jarvis: Unfortunately have no records of that school. Dick Flory

David wrote: "I am looking for a portrait of Frank Copeland Worster, Lieutenant/Captain Worcestershire Regiment."

David: PM me your email address and I will send you a scan of the portrait of Worster from "The Book of Remembrance of Whitgift Grammar School." Regards. Dick Flory

Ed Matthews wrote: "Could I trouble you for another look-up please?

Lieutenant Colonel Ian Graham HOGG, DSO, 4th Hussars.

Died of wounds, 2nd September 1914.

I understand that he was educated at Eton and I have a fairly comprehensive biography for him already but I'm particularly keen to obtain a photograph of him - can you help?"

Ed: Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a scan of his photograph from "The Bond of Sacrifice." Regards. Dick Flory

ejcmartin wrote: "If you could look up

Alfred Cyril Parsons Kings College Taunton KIA March, 1918

Samuel Parsons Kings College Taunton KIA April 9, 1917"

Sorry, I only have the roll of honour for that college for the Second World War. Dick Flory

Hi

Could I trouble you for a look up in the Uppingham School Roll of Honour for

GEORGE MARSDEN POPPLE 2nd Lt Northumberland Fusiliers d. 26/6/1916

if there is a photo available this would be a tremendous bonue.

Thanks in anticipation

Peter

Jim Davies wrote: "Wondered if you might have anything on Lt Richard Cornforth English, Rugby School.

Died at home 25 Jul 1916, from Stamford, Lincs."

Lieutenant Richard Cornish English, Army Service Corps

Born on 19 April 1897, the only son of Richard Mills English, Solicitor of Stamford.

Entered Rugby School in 1901 and left in December 1903 and was on the XXII in 1903.

Articled and admitted as a solicitor in November 1909 and joined his father's firm

Succeeded his father as Clerk to the Guardians and District Councils in March 1914

In August 1914 he enlisted in Mechanical Transport, ASC as a Private

Commissioned in the ASC the following year and went out to Flanders.

Returned home on leave in 1916 and after an operation for appendicitis he died on 15 July 1916 at the age of 29. Unfortunately their is no photo of him in "Memorials of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War."

Sources: Memorials to Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War, Volume VII & Index; Rugby School War Register; Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Record of Service of Solicitors and Articled Clerks, 1914-1918.

Regards. Dick Flory

Peter wrote: "Could I trouble you for a look up in the Uppingham School Roll of Honour for

GEORGE MARSDEN POPPLE 2nd Lt Northumberland Fusiliers d. 26/6/1916"

2nd Lieut. George Marsden Popple, Northumberland Fusiliers

Born in December 1894, the son of J. Popple, Castlethorpe, Briggs, Lincs.

Educated at Uppingham School from Sept 1909 to Dec 1912

Served in Great War as a 2nd Lieut, Northumberland Fusiliers

Killed in Action on 26 Jun 16.

I can find no photo of him.

Source: Uppingham School Roll, 1824 to 1931.

Regards. Dick Flory

Jarvis wrote: "I wonder if you have records of Barnard Castle County School, County Durham within your reach?"

Jarvis: Unfortunately have no records of that school. Dick Flory

Many thanks for your efforts.

Jarvis

Regards. Dick Flory

Many thanks for this

Regards, Peter

Hello, could I trouble you for a look up for the 3 Burleigh brothers, they were brough up in Clapham, London and first went to school at Manor School in Clapham and then, I believe, went to the City of London -certainly Bennet did. They were the sons of a former Daily Telegraph war correspondent Bennet Burleigh and his wife Bertha Bennet Burleigh.

Their details are:

Lieut Bennet (sometimes spelt Bennett) Burleigh

1/7th Lancashire Fusiliers

Mentioned in dispatches

Died of wounds at Gallipoli on 15 July 1915

age 22

Buried at Lancashire Landing Cemetery

Lieutenant Robert Burleigh

Royal Flying Corps and Royal Engineers

Killed 28 August 1916

age 23

Buried Knightsbridge Cemetery, Mesnil-Martsinsart

Lieutenant James Emil Burleigh

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Award: MC

Killed 12 October 1917

age 21

Commemorated Tyne Cot

Thanks

Moriaty

Ed Matthews wrote: "Could I trouble you for another look-up please?

Lieutenant Colonel Ian Graham HOGG, DSO, 4th Hussars.

Died of wounds, 2nd September 1914.

I understand that he was educated at Eton and I have a fairly comprehensive biography for him already but I'm particularly keen to obtain a photograph of him - can you help?"

Ed: Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a scan of his photograph from "The Bond of Sacrifice." Regards. Dick Flory

Hello Dick

PM sent with my e-mail address. Many thanks once again for your help, it's much appreciated.

Best wishes

Ed

Dick

I am doing some research into the 19th (County of London) Battery RFA, 7th London Brigade, 47th London Division, and wondered if your database could please add anything to my knowledge of three of the officers.

1.) Capt Philip Dodgson, brother of my grandmother's first fiancee (see my signature). The family came from Bovingdon in Hertfordshire. I think he went to Westminster and was in the OTC there. He survived the war and I have a copy of some of his letters, as yet not transcribed.

2.) I am particularly intererested in finding out more about Major Lord Gorell - buried at Lijssenthoek Mil Cem. The family name was Gorell Barnes. I am trying to track down a photo of him. I dont know much about him, though do have this account of his funeral and how he died. I have bolded the names of other officers in the brigade.

January 20th 1917

This will not be a. very cheerful entry. The few days since I last wrote have contained a perfect series of nasty shocks……

Then, one afternoon, I had an order to go and see the C.R.A. at Hoograaf Farm and found he had a weird scheme for having timber from the smashed-up woods and gardens up forward, felled, and logs cut and carried up to the front to make Battery positions and dugouts. It seemed a wild scheme at first, but now it’s started, I see a good deal of sense in it, far more than in most of the ideas emanating from that quarter.

While I was at D.A. H.Q. the most horrible news came in. Poor old Gorell was dead. Gorell, whose Battery I had been in for over a year and whom we felt was invulnerable! Poor fellow, it does seem hard after all this time, and all the actions he went through and all the narrow escapes he had. The horror and amazement of it left me dumb and incredulous. It brought back vividly to my mind the tragic story of Whymper’s conquest of the Matterhorn and the guide Taugwalder’s horrified and bewildered outcry “What will Chamonix say? Who would believe that Croz could fall?” It is useless to lament after the event, but it is, for all that, one more heavy weight added to the already intolerable burden of this war.

The funeral at Poperinghe was in a snowstorm, and, like all military funerals, was solemn and moving to a degree. The remnants of officers of the Brigade, all who are left out here of the twenty-three who left Boxmoor two years, were there. Majors Marshall and Wood, Captains Simonds and Coates, Pixley and myself. We, with Ballantyne and Gorell’s American friend, Coleby, carried the coffin, a zinc one with a Union Jack wrapped round it and his D.S.O. nailed on the outside. The 19th Battery black gun team drew the limber, Gorell’s famous blacks that he was so proud of. It was a bitterly cold day, with a cutting east wind and scudding sleet and snow. The C.R.A., who had had a bitter quarrel with Gorell a little while before, came alone and, last of all, threw a handful of earth into the grave.

January 30th 1917

It is a long time since I wrote and the time has been busy. Ups and downs and good and bad days in plenty. Poor Gorell’s funeral was a sad business, and the only thing which relieved it at all was the gathering together of all the old spirits of the 7th London Brigade.

After the funeral we all had tea together at Cyril’s, the new little restaurant in Poperinghe, and though at heart we were all dismal enough, we managed to be pretty cheerful externally. Gorell, I heard, was hit by a piece of 4.2” shell which burst not far off him as he and his signallers were walking along the ‘Marshall’s Walk’ duckboards from the Hill 60 front line trench, after doing a wire-cutting shoot for a raid. He was bit in the shoulder and, though taken down fully conscious and pretty cheerful to the Railway Dugouts and Shrapnel Corner, he appears to have been left there till the evening, on a freezing day! If our Brigade had still been in being, he would have been taken to Poperinghe without any delay and perhaps his life might have been saved. It is too horrible to think of. He died the same night, not, I think, in great pain. The doctors say it was chiefly shock. Most fatal shellwound cases where the actual wound is not in a vital place, are said to be caused by shock, but the exposure must surely have taken away what little chance there was of his recovery. No one in our Brigade seems to have known of his being bit or where he was, and it seems extraordinary that any man, much less one of his calibre who simply could not be replaced, should be left for hours in January to freeze on a stretcher in the open.

So ends a short but brilliant career, and the most original character in the Brigade, one of the most lovable and interesting I have ever met, is taken, and remains with us only in the mass of anecdote and memories with which he was surrounded.

Perhaps the keenest and most energetic of all the officers who left England with us, it is true to say that two years’ fighting service, always lived at feverish pace and with the greatest possible intensity, had considerably softened the fiery side of his nature. Certainly the few days I spent in his Battery after Kimber’s death at Aix-Noulette were intensely happy, I think for both of us. Our tramps together on Lorette were enlivened by remembrance and repetition of the time-honoured Battery reminiscences, dating back to Festubert days and before; from the story of the Major who, it was rumoured, “got his D.S.O. for registering our front line from Ypres to La Bassée,” to the mass of stories of the French Batteries whom we had met at different times up and down the line. The week he spent at Railway Dugouts as O.C. Brigade, though a troublesome one, was very pleasant, especially the cheerful evenings we had after the evening orders had been finished and before turning in. It is a happy thing when one’s last recollections of a lost friend are really mutually pleasant ones, and I know I shall often live over again in thought those delightful days together at Aix-Noulette.

(Source: Pilditch diary, pp 373-374)

3) The author of this extract is Major Philip H Pilditch. He wrote a magnificent 649 pp diary which covers from August 1914 to Feb 1919. A copy of this is in the IWM. Pilditch was comissioned on 4 August 1914 when he went to 7th Bde RFA Drill Hall at Fulham. He had served in the Artilery section of Cambridge OTC. He was training to be an architect at Collcutt & Hamp, Architects, 36 Bloomsbury Square before the war.

From the 47 Div A&Q War Diary I have list of the officers of the brigade as of Oct 1915, and from the Pilditch Diary I have the list as of Aug 1914 and April 1916. I would be delighted to send these if they would help your database. I also have a photo of Philip Pilditch which I could email.

Charles

Charles

Was Philip H. Pilditch the son of Sir Philip E. Pilditch, Architect, known for designing buildings along Kensington High Street, by any chance? There's a wonderful photo on the following link of Sir Philip and wife.

Sir Philip

Myrtle

Myrtle - many thanks for this extra info, it seems very likely that they are his parents given that he was studying architecture. I know from the diary that home was in Weybridge, but he only refers to "Mater and Dad".

Charles

Dick

Do you have records for King Edwards School, Witley, Surrey?

My Great Grandfather, Alan Baird Cullerne ( also known as Alan Baird Handyside) went there between 1903 and 1908. He then was apparently sent to a school in Ripley, also Surrey. He was with the 7th Bn Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment. Was awarded the MC in August 1918 and killed in action October 1918.

Many thanks, Sara.

Guest sligo.whiteside

I have Frederick James Smith (from Dublin) here at the archives of The King's Hospital in Dublin. He was in the school from 1904 to 1908 and then studied at Trinity College Dublin. He was killed in action.

Andrew

Hi Dick

Do you have any of the following in your library?

Alfred Edward Burrowes – Merchant Taylor’s

Walter Stafford Cash – King Edward’s Grammar School, Birmingham

Donald Colin Cathie – Christ’s Hospital

Archibald Murray Ewen – Robert Gordon’s School, Aberdeen

Arthur R Henry – Haileybury

Connolly G Norman (could be Norman G Connolly) Bedford Grammar School

Thomas B Sherwood – Manchester Grammar School

Frederick James Smith – King’s Hospital

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Trooper

Hi Dick,

If it's not too much trouble and you have the references to the schools the following members of the Australian and New Zealand forces attended, could you do lookups for me please? No hurry.

Clifton College & RMA Woolwich

Francis Duncan IRVINE,

Major, 1st Aust Inf. Bde HQ, AIF. Killed in action at Steele's Post, Anzac, on 27 - 28 April 1915, aged 40.

Elstow College, 2 years Bedford Grammar School

Guy D'arcy Daveney MACARTHUR,

Lieutenant, 13th Battalion, AIF. Died of paratyphoid and pneumonia at No. 2 AGH, Gezireh, Egypt, on 25 December 1915, aged 22.

University College School, London

Horace Robert MARTINEAU VC,

Lieutenant, Otago Battalion, NZEF. Died of other causes at Dunedin, NZ, on 7 April 1916, aged 41.

Wellington College, Berkshire

William Frank EVERETT,

Lieutenant Colonel ,2nd Remounts, Veterinary Corps Headquarters / Intermediate Base Depot, AIF. Died of pulmonary tuberculosis at Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley, Hampshire, on 17 August 1915, aged 50.

Thanks very much.

I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended - I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers). Please give me the man's name, school attended and general time frame when making your request and indicate what type of information you are looking for.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick, would you have a picture of Ronald Poynting - Willaston School, Cheshire. He was a 2nd Lt with the 8th Royal Sussex. He died in 1926 by his own hand.

Regards Josturm :blink:

Hi,

Can you please help with:

Name Clarence Hawkins

Address "Glenthorne", High Street, Cheslyn Hay

NOK

Rank Captain

No

Regt 5th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment

Date of Death 26.09.1917

Age 25

How Killed in Action

Theatre France and Flanders

Buried LOOS MEMORIAL

Notes Walsall Observer and South Staffordshire Chronicle dated 20th October 1917

Captain Clarence V.T. HAWKINS was killed whilst leading a charge upon an enemy trench. His death was reported on 6th October 1917. His home address was "Glenthorne", High Street, Cheslyn Hay. Educated at Jesus College, Cambridge he enlisted whilst working with his father at the family's Old Coppice Colliery. His brother Captain Osmond C. HAWKINS was wounded some months ago.

Many thanks

Hello,

Would it be possible to have a look up for;

2nd lieutenant JOHN AUCHENLOSH GIBSON Royal Garrison Artillery, 116th Siege Bty

He was a master at Tiffins Secondary School for Boys at Kingston-on-Thames.

Thanks

Peter wrote: "Could I trouble you for a look up in the Uppingham School Roll of Honour for

GEORGE MARSDEN POPPLE 2nd Lt Northumberland Fusiliers d. 26/6/1916"

Born in December 1894, the son of J. Popple, Castlethorpe, Briggs, Lincs.

Educated at Uppingham School from Sept 1909 to Dec 1912

Served in Great War as a 2nd Lieut, Northumberland Fusiliers

Killed in Action on 26 Jun 16.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

Do you have an information or a picture of Captain David Guy Davies MC ex Marlborough College.

Thanks

Josturm

Bryn wrote: "f it's not too much trouble and you have the references to the schools the following members of the Australian and New Zealand forces attended, could you do lookups for me please?"

Major Francis Duncan Irvine:

Born 20 Jan 75, son of Duncan Irvine of Madras Civil Service

Attended Clifton College from Jan 1889-1892

Gentleman Cadet, RMA, Woolwich

2nd Lieut., RE, March 1895

Lieut, RE, March 1898

In 1901 served in Queen's Own Sappers and Miners in Waziristan (medal with clasp)

Captain, RE, April 1904

Passed Quetta Staff College, 1911

Served on staff of Defence Forces, Australia from 1913 as GSO, 2nd Military District.

August 1914- posted as Brigade Major, 1st Infantry Brigade, AIF

Promoted Major, RE on Oct 1914

Landed at Gallipoli on 25 Apr 15

Shot through the heart by a sniper on the afternoon of 27 April, 1915

There is a photo of him in the third-listed source. PM me with your email address if you would like a scan.

Sources: Clifton College Register, 1862-1925; Clifton College Register, 1862-1947; The Bond of Sacrifice, Vol. 2.

Guy D'arcy Daveney MacArthur - sorry, nothing on Elstow College or Bedford Grammar School.

Horace Robert Martineau, VC

Born in London in 1873, the fifth son of William Martineau of Hornsey.

Educated at University College School from 1889-1890

In 1890 went to South Africa and served with Baden-Powell in the campaign against the Matabele

Served with the Protectorate Regiment from Cape Town during the Boer War

Received the VC for rescuing Corp. Le Camp who had been shot in front of the Boer trenches during the action at Game Tree on 26 Dec 99. Marineau was thrice wounded and had his left arm amputated.

After the Boer War he left the army and was employed by the African Boating Company in Durban

During the Great War he served as a Lieutenant in the Transport Service with the Anzacs at Suez and Gallipoli

He fell ill, was invalided back to Dunedin, NZ ad ied on 8 April 1916 at age 42.

Source: U. C. S. Roll of Honour.

William Frank Everett

Son of G. Everett

Educated at Wellington College from 1878 to 1880.

For many years he served in the 6th Australian Light Horse

Died after being invalided from Egypt, 1916.

Source: Wellington College Register, 1859-1948.

Regards. Dick Flory

Josturm wrote: "Do you have an information or a picture of Captain David Guy Davies MC ex Marlborough College."

I cannot find his name in the Marlborough College Register.

David Blanchard wrote: "2nd lieutenant JOHN AUCHENLOSH GIBSON Royal Garrison Artillery, 116th Siege Bty

He was a master at Tiffins Secondary School for Boys at Kingston-on-Thames."

David: I don't have anything on Tiffins Secondary School but the "History of the 77th Brigade, RGA has the following:

" During the night of May 26-27, 1918, the battery at Craonne fired at a slow rate until the ammunition had been expended about 4am, 27th.

The enemy attacked at between 4 am and 5am on the 27th, and when the barrage (which had been very heavy on the battery all night) lifted about 7:30am the enemy was seen on the right rear of the battery position.

The guns were then blown up with the rounds reserved for this purpose, and the battery retired to a bank in the rear, where they made a stand with rifles.

. . . 2nd-Lieut. Hearn and 2nd-Lieut. Gibson were killed with about eight men. 2nd-Lieut. Wilson and seventy men were taken prisoners.

Regards. Dick Flory