The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Hi Dick,

I am looking for my relation Frederick George Crossman who was sent to Cannington School Somerset between 1901 & 1908. In 1908 Fredrick joined the Devonshire Infantry

Hope you can Help

Thanks Jean

Jean wrote: "I am looking for my relation Frederick George Crossman who was sent to Cannington School Somerset between 1901 & 1908. "

Jean: Sorry, I don't have anything on Cannington School. Dick Flory

Hello Dick.

I was wondering if you would mind doing a search for a relative of mine on you're database if its not trouble?

Im looking for my great great uncle, George Howard Cheeseman, who I believe attended Roseacre school in Bearsted, Kent, sometime in the period of 1895-1905. I know that my gt gt unlce had his name changed from George Howard to Howard George, however, I'm not sure of the exact date of this, so he may be registered under either name at the school.

Thanks for you're time.

Regards,

Simon Pearce

Hi,

Do you have Worcester King's Cathedral School?

Cheers

Duncan.

Duncan,

I think the school is better known as King's School, Worcester. Maybe it would be worth Dick having another check?

If you are in the area, there are Honour Boards for the Great War in College Hall, the school's main assembly hall.

Cheers,

Mark Brockway

I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended - I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers). Please give me the man's name, school attended and general time frame when making your request and indicate what type of information you are looking for.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick could you try to look up Robert Leslie Masters he went to school I believe at National School No1 Icklesham Sussex between 1870 and 1890. He was a regular QM in the AMS enlsiting in 1887 at Portsmouth and leaving 1906. He re enlisted in 1914 in RAMC as QM and hon' Lt and finished war with MC Thank you very much for your help Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have the records for Brentwood School?

Bruce

Brent: Sorry, nothing on Brentwood School. Dick Flory

Hi Dick

I am currently researching Capt. Frederick T. Godman, 9th Bn. Royal Sussex Reg. He was wounded and captured at Loos on 25th Sept. 1915 and died as a prisoner of the Germans at Holzminden 12th Oct. 1917. He is commemorated on the Washing ton and Wivelsfield War memorials in Sussex.

I found the following information on the Haileybury school archive site, "Haileybury Register 1862-1911 Trevelyan 1890- 92 born 26 November 1875."

Do you have any other information about his time at Haileybury?

Thanks very much

Steve

stevem wrote: "I am currently researching Capt. Frederick T. Godman, 9th Bn. Royal Sussex Reg."

Capt. Frederick Tyrell Godman, R Sussex Regt.

Born 26 Nov 1875, the son of Maj. Gen. R. T. Godman, Highden, Pulborough, Sussex

Educated at Haileybury College from 1890 to 1892

Lieutenant, 3rd Bn, R. Sussex Regt. in 1893, but resigned in 1896.

Managing Director, Whitbread & Co., Brewers, Chiswell Street, E. C.

Served in South African War in 1900 with the Imperial Yeomanry

Employed as a Captain in the R. Sussex Regt in 1914

Taken prisoner on 26 September 1915 while serving with the 9th Bn, R. Sussex Regt.

Died while a prisoner of war at Holzminden on 12 October 1917.

Source: Haileybury Register, 1931; List of British Officers taken prisoner in the various Theatres of War between August, 1914 and November, 1918.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

I would be gratefull if you could see if you have anything about my wifes father.

He was at Edinburgh University and I beleive he joined the Gordon Highlanders as 2nd Lt from the Edinburgh Univ. OTC in 1915.

Name George Dunlop Steven

Thanks in advance

Stephen

Bates wrote: "I would be gratefull if you could see if you have anything about my wifes father.

He was at Edinburgh University and I beleive he joined the Gordon Highlanders as 2nd Lt from the Edinburgh Univ. OTC in 1915.

Name George Dunlop Steven"

Lieut. George Dunlop Steven

Born 1895

Educated at George Watson's College from 1909-1914 and at the University of Edinburgh where he was a student of Medicine from 1914-1915 and in 1918.

Cadet in the U Edinburgh Officer Training Corps (Infantry) from Oct 1914-July 1915

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut in the 2/5th Gordon Highlanders in July 1915

Appointed as a Temp. Lieut. in May 1916

Promoted to Lieut. in July 1917

M.B. and ChB. Edinburgh, 1921

D.P.H. Edinburgh and Glasgow, 1923

D.M.R., England, 1932

Hon. Radiologist and Hon. Electro-Therapist, Royal United Hospital, Bath

Hon. Radiologist, Royal Mineral Water Hospital, Bath

Hon. Consulting Radiologist, Shepton Mallet Hospital and Victoria Hospital, Frome.

Member (President) Royal Medical Society of Edinburgh

Member, Tuberculous Association

Late Medical Superintendent, Dumfres & Galloway Sanaterium

Late Assistant Physician, Linford Sanaterium, Ringwood

Late Resident House Physician and Resident House Surgeon, Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh

In 1936 he was at Circus House, Circus, Bath

Sources: University of Edinburgh Roll of Honour; The Watsonian War Record 1914-1918; The Medical Directory, 1936.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

Sorry to bother you again but do you have anything on my wife's uncle?

Thomas Morton Steven - attended Edinburgh Univ. 1908 -1914 - joined Indian Civil service and then joined a Cavalry Regiment.

Many thanks

Stephen

Stephen Bates wrote: "Sorry to bother you again but do you have anything on my wife's uncle?

Thomas Morton Steven - attended Edinburgh Univ. 1908 -1914"

Lieutenant Thomas Morton Steven

Student of Arts and Sciences at Edinburgh University from 1908 to 1914; BS (Distinction), 1914; MA, 1914.

Cadet Sergeant in the Edinburgh University Officer Training Corps, Infantry frp, 1909-1915

Private (later Lieutenant and Adjutant), 25th Cavalry, Frontier Force, India 1915-1918

He is listed in the 1919 Indian Army List as "Thomas Morton Stevens"; commissioned as a 2nd Lieut, Cavalry on 21 August 1916; appointed to 25th Cavalry, Frontier Force on 31 August 1916; Lieutenant, 21 August 1917. Qualified in Colloquial Hindustani.

Source: University of Edinburgh Roll of Honour, 1914-1919; 1919 Indian Army List.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick - on another thread we have been discussing a Malcolm St Aiden Smith who was a Captain of Guildford Grammar School in Perth, Western Australia and is on their Roll of Honour. He is proving elusive through CWGC/The Times/MIC's etc

The 1901 census shows him as a 10 year old boarder at a Prep School in Maidenhead (Berkshire,England)

called Cordwalles - soon after the Great War it was renamed St Piran's

Any chance you have anything for this school

Thanks for your help

Sue

Dick

Do you have anything for Digby Greenwood Harrison Private of the 1st Middlesex, killed in action on the 26th of September 1917 who I believe went to Uppingham?

Many thanks Hambo

• 1 month later...

Hello, Dick,

Can you help with the following list? As much information as you have, please, and photos of Acton or Cane if they are available.

Many thanks, Michael

The list gives Name--school--date of death--date of birth

Bligh, Frederick Arthur--Cheltenham--15/11/15--3/7/1861

Lewin, Frederick--Cheltenham--08/12/15--26/8/1877

Cliff, Harold Martin--Clifton--01/02/17--1862/3

King-Harman, Edward Stafford (or Stafford-King-Harmon)--Eton--06/11/14--13/4/1891

Levinge, Sir Richard--Eton--24/10/14--12/7/1878

Parsons, William Edward (Earl of Rosse)--Eton--10/06/18--14/9/1873

Brooke, George--Eton--07/10/14--10/6/1877

Monck, Hon. Charles H. S.--Eton--21/10/14--9/11/1876

Cane, Maurice--Eton 1896-1901--04/08/17--1882/3

Bowen-Colthurst, Robt. MacGregor--Harrow--15/03/15--?/9/1883

Acton, Charles Annesley--Rugby--25/09/15--14/2/1876

Hillas, Arthure B. E.--St. Columba's (left 1887)--23/04/17--?

Shaw, J. Rowan--St. Columba's (left 1892)--22/02/16--20/5/1880

Blacker-Douglass, Robert St.John--Wellington--01/02/15--30/11/1893

Pakenham, Thomas (Earl of Longford)--Winchester--21/08/15--19/10/1864

Wyndham, Hon. William Reginald--Winchester(?)--06/11/14--16/3/1876

Hi Dick

Anything on this man who was educated at Cheltenham college.

John Walter Bruce Rowland 2nd Lt RFA killed in action 1/11/1918 age 19 while with175 brigade.

Son of Dr. Ernest Daniel Rowland and Edith Ellen Stratford Rowland, of 78, Church St., Georgetown, British Guiana.

cheers

Dave

Dave wrote:

Anything on this man who was educated at Cheltenham college.

John Walter Bruce Rowland 2nd Lt RFA killed in action 1/11/1918 age 19 while with175 brigade.

2nd Lt. John Walter Bruce Rowland, RFA

Born on 15 Jul 99, the son of Dr. Ernest Daniel Rowland, Public Hospital, Georgetown, British Guiana

Educated at Cheltenham College from Jan 1913 to Apr 1917

Gentleman Cadet, RMA Woolwich, 1917

Served with 175th Brigade, RFA

Killed in action near Preseau, France on 1 Nov 1918

Source: Cheltenham College Register, 1841-1927.

Sue wrote:

on another thread we have been discussing a Malcolm St Aiden Smith who was a Captain of Guildford Grammar School in Perth, Western Australia and is on their Roll of Honour. He is proving elusive through CWGC/The Times/MIC's etc

The 1901 census shows him as a 10 year old boarder at a Prep School in Maidenhead (Berkshire,England)

called Cordwalles - soon after the Great War it was renamed St Piran's

Sue: Sorry, but I have nothing on the schools you mention. Dick Flory

Hambo wrote:

Do you have anything for Digby Greenwood Harrison Private of the 1st Middlesex, killed in action on the 26th of September 1917 who I believe went to Uppingham?

Pte. Digby Greenwood Harrison,

Born in January 1897; the son of F. Harrison of Splatton, South Brent, Devon

Educated at Uppingham from Jan 1911 to Jul 1915

Private, Middlesex Regiment, 1915

KIA on 26 July 1917

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick Thanks again as ever

Does the Uppingham roll list survivors as well?

Best regards Hambo