The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Richard wrote:

ould you please check to see if Edmund Morton Mansel-Pleydell (died 12/3/1915 aged 28) is shown in the records for Sherborne School, and also his brother Henry Grove Morton Mansel-Pleydell (died 1916 aged 21).

2nd Lieut. Edmund Morton Mansel-Pleydell

Born in 1886, the son of Col. E M Mansel-Pleydell, late 12th Lancers, Tangier, Morocco

Educated at Sherborne School from Summer 1903 to 1905

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., Dorsetshire Regiment,

Joined the 3rd Bn, Dorsetshire Regt in August 1914

Went to France in January 1915

Attached to 3rd Bn, Worcestershire Regiment

KIA at Kemmel, Flanders on 12 March 1915

Sources: The Sherborne Register, Supplement 1900-1921; The Sherborne Register, 1550-1937; Old Shirburnian Navy & Army List, 1914-1919.

Lieut. Henry Grove Morton Mansel-Pleydell

Born on 21 March 1895, the son of Col. E M Mansel-Pleydell, Tangier, Morocco

Educated at Marlborough from April 1909 to 1913

2nd Lieut, Dorset Regiment in 1915

Promoted to Lieutenant in 1916

Military Cross in 1916

Mentioned in Despatches twice

Killed in action on 17 May 1916

Source: Marlborough College Register, 1843 -1922.

Regards. Dick Flory

Many thanks, Dick, that is really helpful. It appears Edmund only attended Sherborne in the VIth form for the last two years of his schooling - I don't suppose there is any indication of where he had been educated before that ?

Richard

2nd Lieut. Edmund Morton Mansel-Pleydell

Born in 1886, the son of Col. E M Mansel-Pleydell, late 12th Lancers, Tangier, Morocco

Educated at Sherborne School from Summer 1903 to 1905

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., Dorsetshire Regiment,

Joined the 3rd Bn, Dorsetshire Regt in August 1914

Went to France in January 1915

Attached to 3rd Bn, Worcestershire Regiment

KIA at Kemmel, Flanders on 12 March 1915

Sources: The Sherborne Register, Supplement 1900-1921; The Sherborne Register, 1550-1937; Old Shirburnian Navy & Army List, 1914-1919.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dick,

Could you look up the following Officer:

Captain (Acting Major) Gerald Edgar Oliver Fortescue Lambart

1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers

Died of wounds 28/03/1916

He was educated at Laleham and Eton.

Many thanks, David.

Captain Gerald Edgar Oliver Fortescue Lambart

Eldest son of Brig-Gen E A L Lambart, CB, RHA of Fouracres, Harefield, Uxbridge and 18 Mulberry Walk, Chelsea SW

At Eton from 1898 to 1903

RMC, Sandhurst

2 Lt, 19 Hussars in 1905

Lt, 1907

Captain, 1912

Captain, R Scots Fusiliers, 1915-16

Attached to the North Nigerian Regt, WAFF, 1910

During 1915-1916 he served in West Africa and France

Died 28 March 1916 of wounds received in action at St. Eloi, France

Sources: Eton School Register, Part VII, 1899-1909; Etonians Who Fought in the Great War.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, do you have access to the records of Queen Mary's Grammar School in Walsall? If so, could you please look up Harold Parry (one of the war poets) and W. B. Griffin, Griffin being rather an enigma as on the CWGC records he is in a Canadian regiment and of Canadian nationality, yet he is on the schools honours board. If you don't have the records of QMGS, and I wouldn't be suprised I believe Parry won a scholarship to Oxford.

Thanks in advance,

Robert.

Dick, do you have anything on 2nd Lt Arthur Campbell POCHIN, Essex Regiment, killed in action on 26th September 1916?

He was born in 1896, attended Marlborough College c December 1908 onwards, then King's College Cambridge from 1914.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

Andy wrote:

do you have anything on 2nd Lt Arthur Campbell POCHIN, Essex Regiment, killed in action on 26th September 1916?

2nd Lieut. Arthur Campbell Pochin

Born on 31 Jan 1896, the son of Edmund Arthur Norman Pochin, Westbrooke, Chelmsford

Attended Marlborough College from Jan 1909 to 1914 (was a Prefect) and was an Exhibitioner at King's College, Cambridge from 2 Oct 1914.

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut, 10th Bn, Essex R in 1914

Wounded in July 1916

Killed in action on 26 Sep 1916.

Sources: Marlborough College Register 1843 to 1933; A Register of Admissions to King's College, Cambridge, 1797-1925; The War List of the University of Cambridge, 1914-1918.

Regards. Dick Flory

RobertK wrote:

please look up Harold Parry (one of the war poets) and W. B. Griffin

Robert: I don't have anything on Queen Mary's Grammar School in Walsall, but below is what I can tell you about Capt. Harold Parry.

Capt. Harold Parry

Born on 13 Dec 1896 at Bloxwich near Walsall Staffs, the 3rd son of David Ebenezer Parry, a colliery proprietor and mining engineer.

Educated at Queen Mary's Grammar School Walsall and at Exeter College, Oxford (matriculated on 19 Oct 1915 as a Waugh Scholar in History and left in July 1916).

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut., Yorks Light Infantry (1st Source) or KRRC (2nd Source) in 1916

Later promoted to Captain and served on the Somme and at Ypres.

Killed in action at Ypres on 6 May 1917

Author of Letters and Poems published by W H Smith & Son, Walsall in 1918.

Sources: Exeter College Register, 1891-1921; Oxford University Roll of Service.

Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks, that info's very useful, I must admit I didn't expect you to have anything on Queen Mary's. The info on Harold Parry is very useful, I visited his grave less than a month ago. Thanks again, Robert.

• 2 weeks later...

Dick

Big favour to ask

I have been working through the records of a local prep school and managed to put together the war service of around 140 men of whom 40 died. I have assumed that any former pupil of that generation most probably served in the Great War and I am left with a handful where I know the Public School they went to and when but nothing else and I wondered if you would mind checking your registers to see if they are mentioned. You may not have the registers in question of course!

They are the following

Uppingham

C.B. Chambers Sept 1894

W.S. Whitmore Summer 1914

Malvern

R.Duff Jan 1896

C Lousada Jan 1893

Charterhouse

G.R. Fletcher

H Furber Sept 1894

R.D. Jameson Sept 1896 (the "D" could be Devlin)

Repton

W.Hopkins Jan 1893

Oundle

D Prynne

Glenalmond

F Shepstone

Harrow

I Keith-Murray Summer 1896

Any information on any of them whether they served or not would be very gratefully received. This is the last of them and if I can track these boys down I can publish after four years of research

I think all the above survived the war

Many thanks Hambo

anything on merchant taylors school crosby near liverpool im after information on charles conway shaw m.g.c . im also after information on lt frederick ryle plummer royal garrison artillery died 02/11/1918.

Hambro:

Uppingham

Christopher Brailsford Chambers Sept 1894: No mention of war services in Uppingham School Roll

Wallis Searle Whitmore Summer 1914: No mention of war services in Uppingham School Roll - and probably did not have any as he did not leave the school to go to Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge until December 1918.

Malvern

Rodney Hay Duff Jan 1896: No war service indicated in the Malvern Register.

Claude Lousada Jan 1893: Served during the Great War. From 1914-1918 he was at the War Office and in 1918 was a Captain, Remount Service.

Charterhouse

G.R. Fletcher: No one by that name in the Charterhouse Register.

Harold Furber Sept 1894: Joined the 3rd Bn, Welch Regiment in 1901 and served in South African War, 1901-02. Captain, 1905. Also served in the Great War as a Captain with the 3rd Bn, Welsh Regiment and was Mentioned in Despatches, but I can find no evidence that he went overseas.

Robert Devlin Jameson Sept 1896: Served in the Merchant Marine.

Repton

Warwick Charles Hopkins: Served in Great War as a Temp. Lieut., RGA from May 1916 to Jan 1919.

Oundle

D Prynne: No one by that name mentioned in the Oundle Memorials of the Great War but there is a Lieut. Norman Fellowes Prynne who was killed in action on 24-25 April 1917 while serving as a 2nd Lieut, 10th Bn, Devon Regiment.

Glenalmond

Francis Alan Shepstone: Served in South African War from 1899-1902 with the Rhodesian Regiment. Remained in South Africa where he was a Barrister. He later went to Harrow and was an Inner Templar, but neither of those registers indicate any Great War services, although Harrow indicates he was a Reserve Officer.

Harrow

I Keith-Murray Summer 1896: The only Keith-Murray who attended Harrow is William Keith Murray who was there from 1886-1888; he served as Captain in the Black Watch. There is a Walter Murray who entered Harrow in Summer, 1896 . He served as a Temp. Major, in the Royal Engineers and received an MC and OBE and was thrice mentioned in despatches.

Regards. Dick Flory

Izzy wrote:

information on charles conway shaw m.g.c . im also after information on lt frederick ryle plummer royal garrison artillery died 02/11/1918.

CC Shaw: 6th King's (Liverpool) Regiment

Frederick Ryle Plummer: 2nd Lieut., Lancs and Cheshire, RGA; listed as attending Liverpool College. Served with 256th Siege Battery and 'M' AA Battery, RGA.

PM me with your email address and I will email you .pdf files with a full page biography and photo of Lieut. F R Plummer.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

I am deeply grateful for your prompt reply. I can now complete the story and will of course credit you for this and your help in the past

I have found a number of the boys where the school has them going to one school and they ultimately went to another so I'm not totally surprised at the couple of dead ends

Many thanks again

Best regards John

Hi Dick

Can you find any information on Gilbert Sackville, 8th Earl De La Warr?

I believe he attended Charterhouse (although I now cannot seem to re-find the website with the reference, so apologies if this is wrong), and he was born in 1869, so he would have been there in the 1880s.

I know it's a long shot, but what I'm really looking for is a photo, although any information would be appreciated, even if it only confirms what I already know.

Cheers,

Carole.

Gilbert George Reginald Sackville

Born 22 Mar 69, 2nd son of Reginald Windsor Sackville, 7th Earl de la Warr

Educated at Charterhouse School from 1882 to 1885

Served in the South African War with Bethune's Horse

Capt, 2nd Cinque Ports Vol. Artillery, 1900

Major, 1901

Retired 1902

Lieut., RNVR

Succeeded father as 8th Earl de la Warr in 1896

Served in the Great War

Deputy Lieut, J. P., Alderman and C.C., East Sussex

War Correspondent to The Globe

In 1891 he married Hon. Muriel Agnes, daughter of 1st Lord Brassey; divorced 1902

In 1903 married Hilda Mary Clavering, daughter of Col. C. Lennox Tredcroft

Died at Messina on 16 December 1915 while in command of a motor patrol boat

Source: Charterhouse Register, 1872-1931.

Sorry. I do not have a photo. Dick Flory

Hi Dick

Many thanks. I have seen his birthday stated both as 22 March and 23 March, so this would seem to add weight to the former being the case (which is nice for me, as birthdays are the sort of thing I hate being unsure about). Don't worry about the photo, it was always a long shot. I once saw a picture of him and his first wife on honeymoon online, and stupid me, didn't save it to file. Now when I look for it, I can only find Muriel's half on it's own, lol. Called sod's law! I wished I had saved it to file, I would have used it for my avatar. Oh, well...

Cheers,

Carole.

Carole: There are four photos of him in the National Portrait Gallery at:

http://www.npg.org.uk/live/search/person.a...;LinkID=mp91196

NPG x33697

Gilbert George Reginald Sackville, 8th Earl De La Warr

by Bassano

whole-plate glass negative, 1913

Photographs Collection

NPG x33698

by Bassano

Photographs Collection

NPG x33699

by Bassano

Photographs Collection

NPG x33700

by Bassano

Photographs Collection

It is possible to purchase copies of the photographs.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

I was aware of that, but nervous of doing it as there are no previews. His son has a similar set of four (with previews) and they are all slightly different. I was hoping that eventually, they will put the previews up, so that I can work out which of the four I like best, and therefore pay £5 rather than £20, lol. I'd rather not buy a pic on guesswork. I'm hoping to go to Sussex on holiday next summer, so with a bit of luck, I may come across a picture then.

Cheers,

Carole.

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

Wonder if you could look up two Charterhouse old boys for me:-

ATKINSON, Arnold Feaver

BENNETT, Basil H.

Both Inns of Court and Bennett went on to Magdalen College and served in WW2 I believe in the TA on Searchlights.

Many thanks

Andy

Andy wrote:

Wonder if you could look up two Charterhouse old boys for me:-

ATKINSON, Arnold Feaver

BENNETT, Basil H.

Captain Basil Hastings Bennett

Born on 10 June 1894, the second son of Herbert Bennett

Educated at Charterhouse School from Long Quarter 1909 to Summer 1913 and at Magdalen College, Oxford University

Enlisted in K Company, the Inns of Court OTC on 30 November 1914

Commissioned in the Royal Engineers on 29 January 1915

Served in the Great War as a Captain, 8th Bn, The Rifle Brigade

Three times wounded in action.

Employed with the Ministry of Munitions during the later part of the Great War.

In 1922 he married Cecily Ynys, daughter of Rex Howell of Esher.

His address in 1934 was Ford's Farm, Pirbright, Surrey

In 1966 he was living at 37 Duke Street, St. James, London, SW 1

Sources: Charterhouse Register 1872-1931; Charterhouse in London, 1921; The Magdalen College Record, 1934; The Magdalen College Record, 1966; The Inns of Court O. T. C. during the Great War.

Lieutenant Arnold Feaver Atkinson

Born on 14 March 1888, the only son of Frederick Arnold Atkinson

Educated at Charterhouse School from Summer Quarter 1909 to Long Quarter 1914

Enlisted in F Co, The Inns of Court OTC on 5 February 1915 (Regt. No. 2859)

Served with The Rifle Brigade before being commissioned in the Royal Engineers on 3 June 1915

Served in France as a Lieutenant in the Royal Engineers during the Great War

Once wounded in action.

His address was Hillside, Erdington, Birmingham.

Sources: Charterhouse Register 1872-1931; Charterhouse in London, 1921; The Inns of Court O. T. C. during the Great War.

Regards. Gunner 1

Dick,

Many many thanks for these extra on the men in question. Atkinson was injured by a bullet in the ribs on 20/8/15, after this injury he went from the 8th RB to the 14th Div. Anti-Gas School for 1916. Bennett went from the 15th RB to the 8th and after a little time with the Ministry served with the 2nd RB in the Summer of 18 where he was also wounded. Having a little difficulty confirming his WW2 service but I believe he ended up as a Major and commander of a camp, he ended up as the Chairman of the Hyde Park Hotel.

Once again Dick, thank you for your assistance with the two Charterhouse boys.

Andy