The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick, Any information on GEORGE BRYAN SHUNCK BORN 1889 NEWHEY ROCHDALE LANCASHIRE attended DUNSTABLE GRAMMAR SCHOOL killed 11-3-1916 age 27. This is literally a shot in the dark, dont expect anything really. Regards Ralph.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, I wondered if you had any school register/ roll of honour for Christs Hospital School, Horsham, if so, would you be able to do a look up for:

Aganoor John Aganoor

2nd Lieutenant, 17th Battalion, County of London

kia High Wood 15 September 1916, aged 25

He attended Christs Hospital School between 1901 and 1907 (this info came via a posting with a photograph of the school memorial on my thread on Aganoor John under Soldiers)

Having come across his headstone in Caterpiller Valley cemetery, I have been trying to find out about him, so any additional information or even a photograph would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Moriaty

Dick,

After your valuable assistance again if at all possible. Do you have anything else on C.E.V. Buxton apart from the basic material in the List of Etonians, M.C., Maj. R.F.A. and Staff.

Andy

Mr. Flory.

What a wonderful service you are carrying out on people's behalf. If I could presume to beg your indulgence in looking up a 2Lt. Kenneth Wastell RFC who died in a flying accident on the 23rd March 1918. His Service Record states he was a pupil at King Edward's Grammar School, Five Ways, Birmingham.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kevin Mears

• 2 weeks later...

Dick

Do you have anything on:

WHITEHEAD, HENRY, Second Lieutenant, Royal Field Artillery born 1897

who attended Cheltenham College please?

regards

Andy

Andy wrote:

Do you have anything on: WHITEHEAD, HENRY, Second Lieutenant, Royal Field Artillery born 1897

Whitehead, 2nd Lieut. Henry, RFA

Born on 13 Oct 97, the son of John Whitehead, Esq.

Educated at Cheltenham from Jan 1912 to Jul 1915

2nd Lieut, RFA SR, 8 Nov 1915

In December 1915 he was serving with 1B Reserve Bde, RFA

KIA near Mailly-Maillet, France on 13th June 1916.

Source: Cheltenam College Register, 1841-1927.

Kevin wrote:

What a wonderful service you are carrying out on people's behalf. If I could presume to beg your indulgence in looking up a 2Lt. Kenneth Wastell RFC who died in a flying accident on the 23rd March 1918. His Service Record states he was a pupil at King Edward's Grammar School, Five Ways, Birmingham.

Kevin: The only book I have for King Edward's School, Birmingham is the Service Record of King Edward's School, Birmingham, 1914-1919. Lt Wastell is not listed in that volume probably because he did not have overseas service. Regards, Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

Thanks for the information, it was this gentleman I was seeking information on as a lot of material has come out with regard to him and his friendship with an 8th RB Officer.

Andy

post-1871-1214000399.jpg

Andy wrote:

After your valuable assistance again if at all possible. Do you have anything else on C.E.V. Buxton apart from the basic material in the List of Etonians, M.C., Maj. R.F.A. and Staff.

Major Clarence Edward Victor Buxton, RFA

Born at Woodredon, Waltham Abbey, Essex on 14 Jan 1892, the third son of Sir Thomas Fowell Victor Buxton, fourth Baronet, and his wife, Anne Louisa Matilda, second daughter of Rev. Henry Thomas O'Rorke, Rector of Feltwell, near Brandon, Suffolk

Educated at Eton from 1905 to 1911 (Captain of Macnagten's house; rowed with Eton VIII at Henley in 1910 and 1911 (Captain of Boat); Member of Eton Society) and at Trinity College, Cambridge University (played on VIII in 1913 and 1914; rowed in the Cambridge VIII in 1913-14; President of the Cambridge Boat Club in 1914 and 1919; BA 1919, MA, 1921).

Won the Hambleden Pairs at Henley with M. V. Buxton in 1919

On 13 Dec 1917 he married Mary Aline, daughter of Lt.-Col. Frederick Bradshaw, and they had four children: Maurice, born 28 Sep 19; Rupert, born 3 Aug 23; Gwendolin, born 28 Mar 21; and Rosemary, born 9 Mar 27.

Served with the RFA SR in France and Belgium reaching the rank of Acting Major

Military Cross (London Gazette, 22 Sep 16 as Lieutenant, RHA SR: “For conspicuous gallantry in reconnoitring the enemy’s wire in front of our outpost wire, and in bringing the fire of his battery to bear on the enemy’s trench. On several occasions during active operations he performed invaluable work and sent in reliable information.” )

Aide-de-Camp to Commander, RA, 47th Division.

Commandant, Trench Mortar School.

Three times Mentioned in Despatches, London Gazette 1 Jan 16, 22 Sep 16, 14 Dec 17.

Employed in the Kenya Civil Service from October 1919 as Asst. District Commissioner, E Africa Protectorate

In 1930 he was living at Ithangi, Limuru, Kenya

The attached photo is from the last mentioned source and show Buxton as a member of the 1911 Eton VIII.

Sources: The Old Public School-Boys Who's Who, Eton; Eton College Register, Part VIII, 1909-1919; War Services of Officers of the Army, 31 December 1917; War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919; The Dominions Office and Colonial Office List, 1930; Fifty Years of Sport at Eton, Harrow and Winchester, 1922.

Regards, Dick Flory

post-765-1214001546.jpg

Andy (Stiletto): Sorry, there were replies to two different forumites named 'Andy'; your reply is above - the earlier one about Lieut. Whitehead was for the other Andy. Regards, Dick Flory

Dick,

You are a star, if you need some of the photographs of him that have come to light let me know. Much appreciated as always.

Andy

Moriaty wrote:

Hello again, I wondered if you had any school register/ roll of honour for Christs Hospital School, Horsham, if so, would you be able to do a look up for:

All I have is the Christ's Hospital Roll of Service, July 1916 which give no more information than what you have. There appears to be later additions of this roll but I have not been able to obtain them. He evidentially was employed by London Co. Westminister & Parr's Bank prior to the war. Regards, Dick Flory

rjaydee wrote:

Any information on GEORGE BRYAN SHUNCK BORN 1889 NEWHEY ROCHDALE LANCASHIRE attended DUNSTABLE GRAMMAR SCHOOL killed 11-3-1916 age 27.

Unfortunately I do not have any thing on him or the school. Regards, Dick Flory

Mr. Flory.

Thanks so much for taking the time to check on Second Lieutenant Wastell for me anyway. It seems I am doomed to find little or nothing more about his personal life. Seems tragic that his death was not even recorded in any of the Birmingham newspapers that I've been able to check. Nothing on any of the memorials in local Churches. A good friend of mine started the research into Kenneth Wastell some four years ago almost now. Sadly, he was killed in a car crash before he really got started. That's one of the main reasons I'm doing this.

Thanks again for all your efforts, it is much appreciated.

So, back to the search, wonder where to look next?

Regards,

Kevin Mears

This is the Roll of Honour for Devonport High School (for Boys). Anyone know anything about any of them? (excluding CWGC and SDGW)

post-17223-1214044198.jpg

Dick

And, if I may, going back to Pearson I have:

Temp/Lt C Pearson joining 122nd Heavy Battery on the 25 May 1915 - if that helps

He is not recorded as leaving the Battery before mid-1916, but ............

If you can help that would be excellent, thanks

Alan

And from War Diary & Roll of Honour 14th Hy Bty RGA ..

'Lieut., Captain, Major C Pearson (Temporary) Joined (14 HB from 122ndd HB) October 2, 1916; wounded May 3, 1917, - Captain October 2, 1916 - Major December 12, 1916 - awarded MC January 1918

Grateful for any earlier detail of his school etc and also if anyone has details of the MC citation.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Is Bishop Abbots School in Guildford mentioned. If so, can you see if George Arthur Wain is mentioned?

Thanks for your time

John

Alan Jones wrote:

Major C Pearson (Temporary) Joined (14 HB from 122ndd HB) October 2, 1916 . . .Grateful for any earlier detail of his school etc and also if anyone has details of the MC citation.

Alan: The following citation is given in War Diary and Roll of Honour, 14th Heavy Battery, R.G.A. in France, Belgium, Germany, 1915-19:

"Continuous good service in Battery between October, 1916 and May 3, 1917, on which date he was wounded. Battery Commander."

Regards, Dick Flory

JPG wrote:

Is Bishop Abbots School in Guildford mentioned. If so, can you see if George Arthur Wain is mentioned?

Sorry, nothing on that school. Regards, Dick Flory

Dick

Many thanks

Alan

I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended - I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers). Please give me the man's name, school attended and general time frame when making your request and indicate what type of information you are looking for.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick

Could you please look for Esmond MILNE (and any other Milnes) in the Activities of the British Community in Argentina during the Great War? He came from Argentina to Scotland to join up and died in 1917.

Thanks

Sue

Capt. Esmond William Milne, RGA

Captain, Royal Garrison Artiilery

KIA at Ypres, Aug 12, 1917

Born in Aberdeen

Manager of Electric Light and Power Works, Tres Arroyos, Argentina

Left January 29, 1915

If you would like a high resolution photo, please PM me with your email address.

Regards, Dick Flory

post-765-1215283771.jpg

Capt. Esmond William Milne, RGA

Captain, Royal Garrison Artiilery

KIA at Ypres, Aug 12, 1917

Born in Aberdeen

Manager of Electric Light and Power Works, Tres Arroyos, Argentina

Left January 29, 1915

If you would like a high resolution photo, please PM me with your email address.

Regards, Dick Flory

Hi,

I was just wondering if you had the Dulwich College Roll, and if there was a Percy Gerald Lambert

listed who was killed in 1918 with the Northumberland Fusiliers although he had alos served with the

London Yeomanry.

Any help would be great,

Jonathan