The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick,

thank you for persevering with my long list. You continue to produce the goods.

Thanks,

LST_164

Dick

I have one last one for you - Howard Avenel Bligh St. George. 2/Lt. 1st Life Guards. KIA 15.11.14. I thought he was an Old Wellingtonian but apparently not, Eton? If you get a moment could you possibly look him up for me please?

Jerry

Thanks for that, Dick! You've given me his date of birth which is very valuable. Many thanks!

Trebrys.

2nd Lieutenant Howard Avenel Bligh St. George

Second son of H. B. St. George of Coombe House, Kingston Hill, Surrey and Ashorne Hill, Leamington

Educated at Eton from 1908 to 1913

Gazetted as a 2nd Lieut. in the 1st Life Guards in January 1914

KIA at Zillebeke on 15 Nov 1915 at the age of 20.

The photo is from the second-listed source.

Sources: Eton School Register, Part VIII, 1909-1919; The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume 1.

post-765-1221927152.jpg

Dick,

Do you have anything on:

TAYLOR, GEORGE FRANCIS WOODLAND, Second Lieutenant, 2nd Battalion Essex Regiment, born 1897, killed 1917, who was at Malvern College please?

thanks in anticipation

Moulsham wrote:

Do you have anything on: TAYLOR, GEORGE FRANCIS WOODLAND, Second Lieutenant, 2nd Battalion Essex Regiment, born 1897, killed 1917, who was at Malvern College please?

2nd Lieut. George Francis Woodland Taylor

Born in 1897, the son of G. W. Taylor, The Red House, Chelmsford

Educated at Malvern College from 1911 to 1916 (Head of House, President of Athletics, XXII Football, XL Cricket, Cadet Officer)

Gentleman Cadet, RMC, Sandhurst

Commissioned into the Essex Regiment in 1917

KIA on 4 May 1917

Source: The Malvern College Register, 1865-1924.

Not much, but all I can find. Dick Flory

Moulsham wrote:

2nd Lieut. George Francis Woodland Taylor

Born in 1897, the son of G. W. Taylor, The Red House, Chelmsford

Educated at Malvern College from 1911 to 1916 (Head of House, President of Athletics, XXII Football, XL Cricket, Cadet Officer)

Gentleman Cadet, RMC, Sandhurst

Commissioned into the Essex Regiment in 1917

KIA on 4 May 1917

Source: The Malvern College Register, 1865-1924.

Not much, but all I can find. Dick Flory

Many thanks again Dick

• 4 weeks later...

Dick

Do you by any chance have Harrow School Register c. 1860?

I am looking for a (James) Reginald Bray (b. 1849), son of Joseph & Mary

Kind regards

Patrick

Dick

I have a Harrow request as well

I'm looking for an I Keith-Murray who according to his prep school went to Harrow in 1895. I'd be interested in any details in the entry if there is one!

Also Francis Alan Shepstone who according to the school records went to Glenalamond in 1894 but there is mention of Harrow later so I wondered if he appears anywhere and if he does what the entry might say

Many thanks as always

John

Patrick wrote:

I am looking for a (James) Reginald Bray (b. 1849), son of Joseph & Mary

Unfortunately my Harrow Registers only go back to 1885. Dick Flory

Hambro wrote: I'm looking for an I Keith-Murray who according to his prep school went to Harrow in 1895.

Also Francis Alan Shepstone who according to the school records went to Glenalamond in 1894 but there is mention of Harrow

I. Keith-Murray

I can't find an I. Keith-Murray but there is a John Keith-Murray who attended Harrow from 1895 to 1898, but all that is given is that he was the son of Sir P. Keith-Murray, 8th Baronet and lived at Lockesacre, Crieff, N. B. He must have died at an early age as he is not listed as a 'living son' of Sir Patrick Keith-Murray in the 1916 Debrett's.

Francis Alan Shepstone

Born on 25 April 1879, the son of T. Shepstone, Esq., CMG, Pietermaritzburg, S. Africa

Educated at Harrow School from 1896 to 1897

Became a barrister, Inner Temple in 1905 and practised in Natal

Served in the Boer War with Plumer's Rhodesian Regiment

Late Reserve of Officers

Retired in 1944 as Judge of Native High Court, Natal

His address in 1925 was PO Box 14, Howick, Natal, S Africa

Sources: Harrow School Register 1885-1925; Harrow School Register 1885-1949; The Glenalmond Register 1847-1929.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick, managed to find him but thanks for looking. Very little other than confirming Bray went there.

Dick

Many thanks, sorry for the delay in thanking you but I've just got back from a week away

I wonder if you could do me one more favour regarding Keith-Murray

This looks like my man as the prep school he attended had a few issues with initials!!

Would you mind looking up what I think may be his brother who also went to Harrow and he is

Keith-Murray, Patrick Lieutenant

1/1st Lothian and Border Horse (TF)

He left Hazelwood School for Harrow School at Christmas 1892

He was gazetted a Temporary Lieutenant in the Regiment on the 11th of February 1915 and acting Captain while in command of a company on the 12th of July 1917

He looks like he might be the older brother with dad's name. As you can see I have very little on him apart from a couple of gazette entries so anything more would be a bonus

Many thanks again

John

Would you mind looking up what I think may be his brother who also went to Harrow and he is

Keith-Murray, Patrick Lieutenant

Patrick Keith Murray

Son of Sir Patrick Keith-Murray, 8th Bart.

Educated at Harrow School from 1892 to 1894

Writer to the Signet

Practiced in Edinburgh

During the Great War served at home with the Lothians and Border Horse 1914-19

Harrow School Register, Second Series, Vol. II, 1885-1925.

Dick

Many thanks again. I found him on a website last night and it turns out that although he carries his father's name he was the thrid son and John was the fourth

Best regards John

Dear Rflory,

You may care to look at

http

://www.chassociation.org/oldblues/arti...BluesInWW1.php

I compiled this list, using the Roll of Honour published in 1920 as my start point. That original list contained a number of errors and omissions, for which I do not blame the original compilers who must have been working under great pressure and with only limited resources.

My current total is 378 and several people have asked me how that compares with other schools. Without causing you too much work, I would be interested to know whether that is higher, lower or about average?

David

Hello Dick,

I was wondering if you have anything on former Rugby School pupils who served. If so could you check for a Percy Carr Bird. He was a 14 year old student in 1901. He survived the war.

Many thanks

Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:

could you check for a Percy Carr Bird. He was a 14 year old student in 1901. He survived the war.

Percy Carr Bird

Born on 7 Oct 1886, the only son of Samuel Bird of 61 Cleveland Square, Hyde Park, London

Educated at Rugby School from Sept 1900 to 1904.

Employed as a Mechanical Engineer with the Howard Pneumatic Engineering Company, 17 Victoria Street, London, SW1

During the Great War he served as a Captain with the 5th Bn, Gordon Highlanders and as a Major with the Machine Gun Corps and was awarded the Military Cross in January 1918.

His address in 1921 was: 3 Willingdon Road, Eastbourne

Sources: Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register.

Regards, Dick Flory

David wrote: I compiled this list, using the Roll of Honour published in 1920 as my start point. That original list contained a number of errors and omissions, for which I do not blame the original compilers who must have been working under great pressure and with only limited resources. My current total is 378 and several people have asked me how that compares with other schools. Without causing you too much work, I would be interested to know whether that is higher, lower or about average?

David: A difficult question to answer as I have never bothered to count the number of names in the Rolls of Honour of the various schools and colleges. I would guess that 378 is about average. I would mention that Rugby School has published a seven-volume Roll of Honour for the Great War and Harrow School a six-volume Roll of Honour. Both have photos and biographies of those who died during the war.

Regards, Dick Flory

Percy Carr Bird

Thanks so much for that information Dick. It is a great help. I see that you've been doing this for four years now. That's dedication.

Again, many thanks for your time.

Last Tuesday saw the publication of "Everyone a hero" by Godfrey Thomas, a book on the casualties amongst Old Brentwoods since 1914 (and sadly up to date, including one in Iraq in 2006).

If there is anyone who would like a look-up for an old boy of Brentwood School, I'll look in my copy.

Bruce

Hi Dick,

Could you please look up Lieutenant Lionel Martineau Lupton, Royal Field Artillery, Killed in action 16th July 1916.

I believe he was educated at Rugby School and Trinity College Cambridge. Could you confirm this? I would also be interested in finding out if there is any mention of his brothers Maurice Lupton and Francis Ashford Lupton.

Many thanks, David.

Below is the bio and photo of Lt L M Lupton; the bios and photos of his brothers follow in the next two replies. Regards, Dick Flory

Lt. Lionel Martineau Lupton, RFA

Born on 7 Jan 92, the third son of Francis Martineau Lupton of Rockland, Newton Park, Leeds who was an Alderman and Woollen Manufacturer

Student at Rugby School from May 06 to 1910

Also Educated at Trinity College Cambridge from 1910-13 (BA 1913) and at Leeds University from 1913-14

Before the war he was employed by William Lupton and Co., Woolen Manufacturers at Leeds

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut. in the 1st W Riding Bde, RFA TF in 1912

Went to France in April 1915; first to Lille and then to the Ypres salient which his division held from July to December 1915

On 1 Dec 15 he was wounded by a HE shell that hit his gun position, killing one gunner and wounding three others.

Invalided to the UK for four months

Specially promoted to Lieutenant

Rejoined his brigade on the Somme in March 1916

On 16 July 1916 he was at his gun position just south of the River Ancre which was set to fire on Ovillers la Boisselle. About 12.15 am he was passing by a gun pit when a German shell hit the back of the gun pit and the dugout housing the gun crew, killing him instantly and wounding three gunners.

Twice mentioned in despatches in the London Gazettes of 30 Nov 15 for 'general good service' and 30 Apr 16 'for coming out of his dugout under heavy shell fire, when wounded in three places, and helping to carry in the other wounded'.

The photo of Lt. L M Lupton, below, is from the second-listed source.

Sources: Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Memorials of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War, Volume III; Rugby School War Register; The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919.

post-765-1227156554.jpg