The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

[2nd Lieut. Alexander Noel Hepburne-Scott, Scots Guards

Born on 18 December 1892, the second son of Hon. W. G. Hepburne-Scott, Master of Polwarth, of Humbie House, East Lothian

Initially educated at Edinburgh Academy from 1902 to 1907.

Then educated at Repton School from Sept 1907 to April 1911 and Balliol College, Oxford University from 1911-1914

Enlisted as a Pte in the London Scottish on 6 Aug 1914

Went to France in Sept 1914

Invalided home in January 1915

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut. Scots Guards, SR in March 1915

Returned to France in April 1915 and served with the 2nd Bn, Scots Guards

On 16 May 1915 he was reported wounded and missing, but was never seen again and it was presumed that he had been killed in the advanced trenches on that day.

The photo of 2nd Lieut. Scott is from the last named source.

Sources: Repton School Register, 1922; Old Reptonian War Register 1914-1919; Balliol College Register 1833-1933; War Supplement to Edinburgh Academy Register; The Edinburgh Academy Register 1824-1914; Oxford University Roll of Service; Balliol College War Memorial Book, Volume II.

Regards, Dick Flory

post-765-1231804777.jpg

Dick,

Thank you very much indeed.

James Benajmin Carr attended Bedford Modern School and Culham Training College [Oxford Diocesan]. He was commissioned into the Middlesex Regiment and later served on attachment with the RFC in Syria and Egypt. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sue

Hi Dick

Is there any mention in the STONYHURST register of Edward Bulloch Brown. He was at the school prior to 1912. Many thanks. I am always intersted in any 14th or 20th Hussars you may stumble on, especially from less the well known schools.

Kindest regards

Patrick

Lieut. Edward Bulloch Brown

Educated at Stonyhurst from 1909 and at RMC Sandhurst (1915-16)

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut, 14th Hussars on 19 July 1916

Served in Mesopotamia from Feb 1917 to 5 Nov 18 and in Persia and Central Asia from 5 Nov 18 to 1919.

Mentioned in Despatches in LG of 5 June 19

Source: Stonyhurst War Record.

SueMS wrote: James Benajmin Carr attended Bedford Modern School and Culham Training College [Oxford Diocesan]. He was commissioned into the Middlesex Regiment and later served on attachment with the RFC in Syria and Egypt. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sue: I have nothing on either of those schools. Regards, Dick Flory

Lieut. Edward Bulloch Brown

Educated at Stonyhurst from 1909 and at RMC Sandhurst (1915-16)

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut, 14th Hussars on 19 July 1916

Served in Mesopotamia from Feb 1917 to 5 Nov 18 and in Persia and Central Asia from 5 Nov 18 to 1919.

Mentioned in Despatches in LG of 5 June 19

Source: Stonyhurst War Record.

Many thanks Dick. I had my fingers crossed that it may have mentioned who his father was but ...

At least I know now when he started there. Thank you

SueMS wrote: James Benajmin Carr attended Bedford Modern School and Culham Training College [Oxford Diocesan]. He was commissioned into the Middlesex Regiment and later served on attachment with the RFC in Syria and Egypt. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sue: I have nothing on either of those schools. Regards, Dick Flory

Thanks for replying, Dick.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jenny Dyer
I am looking for 2nd Lieut Alfred Reginald CHAPMAN Andy

Andy - I see you are interested in 2nd Lieutenant Alfred Reginald Chapman. You may be interested to know that, in our church (High Street Methodist Church 01582 713056) in Harpenden, Herts, we have found a plaque that has evidently fallen off a piece of furniture or equipment. It says on it:

"To the glory of God and in loving memory of Lieutenant Alfred Reginald Chapman - - Machine Gun Corps - - killed in action on Advent Sunday 2nd December 1917 aged 26 years"[/size] Do you have any idea what the connection between him and our church is? Are you a descendant of him and do you have any interest in having the plaque?

Best wishes,

Jenny Dyer

Izzy wrote:

Anything on Walter Wynne Nicholas on the 1911 census he,s down as being school house Dover college Kent

2nd Lt Walter Wynne Nicolas

Born on 25 Sept 1895

Attended Dover College from 1910 to 1914 (was a Prefect and played on the College XV).

Served as 2nd Lieut, 7th Bn, Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

Killed in action on 29 March 1916

Sources: Dover College Register, 1871 to 1924; Dover College War Services, Roll of Honour, and Honours and Awards, 1914-1918.

Regards, Dick Flory

annswabey wrote:

I'd be grateful if you have anything on John Clavering Hardy of Malvern College

John Clavering Hardy

Born in 1885 the son of R. Hardy of Waverley Mount, Nottingham

Educated at Faber House, Malvern College from 1900 to 1902

Served as a Sapper, RE during the Great War

Died prior to 1934 as he is not in the 1934 Supplement.

Source: Malvern College Register 1865-1924.

Dick,

Do you have a picture of Lt Herbert Greene. MC & Bar. who served withy 154 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. As far as I am aware he was educated at Mill Hill School, London and later at the University of St Andrews, Scotland.

Photograph is requires for a small private memorial at the site of the action in Belgium where he won his first MC.

Hope you can help.

Regards,

jasmor58

jasmor58: I realize that you are anxious to find a photo of Lt. Greene but this is the third time that you have asked me by either PM or on the forum. As before, I do not have a photo but will keep looking and let you know if I find one. Regards, Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

Would be extremely grateful for any information on the following:

DAMAN, Geoffrey Windeatt - Lt Seaforth Hdrs - Ballilol and Magdalen, Oxford

DAWSON, Wilfred Charles - Cpl RFA - University of Birmingham

KING, Thomas Shirley - Capt East Surrey Regt - Exeter College, Oxford

TAYLOR, Douglas Clifton - L/Cpl Artists' Rifles - Dulwich College

TAYLOR, George William - Lt RFA - Eton (and Cambridge, but I don't know which college)

Many thanks.

Regards,

Andy

Brief details of Cpl Dawson on the Centre for First World War Studies web site, University of Birmingham. Under Virtual War Memorial

You kindly looked up John Clavering Hardy for me in the Malvern College registers but said that he must have died by 1934 as he wasn't in that Register. I have since found that he was still alive. I assume the men themselves would have supplied any later information, so I suppose if they didn't bother to update, then they would not be included in later registers.

Lt Geoffrey Windeatt Daman, Seaforth Hdrs

Born at Hempstead on 26 March 1894, the elder son of John Frederick Karl Daman of Kenilworth, Carshalton and his wife, Rosalind Mary Isabella, daughter of the late Rev. Robert Dell

Initially educated at St. George's School, Windsor Castle

Sang in the Choir at Westminster Abbey at the Coronation of King Edward VII and later became the leader of the Royal Choir

Then educated at Repton School from Jan 1909 to April 1913 (School Prefect and Colour Serjeant in the OTC) and at Magdalen College, Oxford University where he earned an MA degree and History Demyship and was a member of the University OTC.

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut., 4th R. Berks Regt. TF on 25 August 1914

Transferred to the 4th Bn, Seaforth Hldrs. in September 1914 and went to France with them on 5 November 1914 and fought in the battle of Neuve Chapelle.

KIA by a sniper near Richebourg l'Avoue on 24 May 1915

The G W Damon at Balliol College is Gerard William Daman

Sources: The Magdalen College Record, 1922; Oxford University Roll of Service, 1920; Repton School Register; Old Reptonian War Register; Bond of Sacrifice, Volume 2.

post-765-1233988617.jpg

Cpl. Wilfred Charles Dawson, RFA

Son of Charles W. and Margaret R. Dawson of Great Yarmouth

Educated at the University of Birmingham

Married Marion Dawson

Enlisted as a Gunner (Regt No. L-46262) at Wimbledon, Wallington, Surrey

DOW on 26 September 1916 as a Corporal in B Battery, 190th Brigade, RFA

Capt Thomas Shirley King, East Surrey Reg

Born on 14 November 1881 at Wellington, New Zealand; the only son of Dr. T. R. King of The Oratory, Birmingham

Educated at Exeter College, Oxford U, from 7 May 00

At the time of is death he was a Capt, 4th Bn, attached to the 7th Bn, E. Surrey Regt.

KIA in France on 3 May 1917

Sources: Exeter College Register, 1891-1921;

L/Cpl Douglas Clifton Taylor, 28th Bn, London Regt.

Born on 26 December 1890, the son of James Benjamin Taylor of Adversana, Wallington and the Bank of England

Educated at Manor House School, Clapham from 1901-1904 and at Dulwich College, from 15 Sept 1904 to Dec 1907

In 1908 he joined the Bank of England

From 1911 he was employed at the Newcastle-on-Tyne Branch of Bank of England

In late Jan 1916 joined the 3rd Bn, The Artists' Rifles as a Rifleman (Regt. No. 6825)

Went to France in April 1916

KIA with the 1st Bn, The Artists' Rifles at Platt's Ridge (or Welsh Ridge), near Cambrai on 30 December 1917

Sources: Dulwich College Register 1619-1926; Dulwich College Register 1914-1919; Regimental Roll of Honour and

post-765-1233988818.jpg

George William Taylor, RFA

The only son of Major J F W B Taylor of Carshalton Park, Surrey and Brook House, Jarvis Brook, Sussex

Educated at Eton from May 1906 to 1909 and at Trinity College, Cambridge

Commissioned in August 1914

Embarked for Alexandria, Egypt 15 June 1915 and left there for Salonika on 17 October 1915 where he served with A Battery, 67th Brigade, RFA

Took part in severe fighting in France during 1915 and 1916

Called to the Inner Temple, 1916

Served as a Lieut., RFA SR in France, the Balkans and Egypt

Wounded in early 1917 and spent the summer in the hospital

In June 1917 a medical board cleared him for light duty but he persuaded the authorities to allow him to return to France where he served with A Battery, 150th Brigade, RFA

DOW on 9 November 17 from wounds by gas poisoning suffered at St. Julien, France on 2 November 1917

Sources: List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War 1914-1919; Eton School Register, Part VII 1899-1909; Eton School Chronicle, 22 November 1917; With a Poppy and a Prayer: Officers Died at Passchendaele; War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919.

post-765-1233989158.jpg

Dick and Alan,

Many thanks indeed for all the information and photos.

Kind Regards,

ASA1