The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick

Any chance of a look for V.J. Darbyshire, Lancashire & Cheshire RGA, ex Marlborough College? He is on a local memorial but I cannot see him on CWGC.

Many thanks

Daggers

2nd Lieut. Vyvian James Darbyshire, RGA

Born on 2 Apr 1890, the son of F N J Darbyshire, Kenmure, Aigburth Drive, Sefton Park, Liverpool

Educated at Marlborough College from Sept 04 to 1907

Served in the Great War as a 2nd Lieut., RGA

Killed accidentally at Rockferry, 17 Nov 14

Source: Marlborough College Register 1843-1933.

Dick

Thank you very much for the details. I shall now see if he qualifies as a 'non-commemorated'. It will probably depend on the nature of the accident.

Daggers

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

you have kindly helped me before on the topic of look-ups of Anglesey related casualties. I have now found another:

LLOYD, Major Robert Love

Educated Charterhouse. Served with the RWF in South Africa, then Nigeria before 1913, and died of wounds on Gallipoli as Brigade-Major to 58th Infantry Bde. on 9 December 1915.

Besides the chance of a picture of him, some of the information I have is contradictory so anything you could raise on this man would be much appreciated.

Regards,

LST_164

Major Robert Love Lloyd, RWF

Born 13 April 1881, the son of Col. T E J Lloyd and Rosamond A. Lloyd of Plas Tregayan, Anglesey

Attended Charterhouse School from Summer Quarter 1895 to Summer Quarter 1899

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut, R Welch Fusiliers in 1901

Served in the South African War from 1901 to 1902: Operations in Transvaal, Sept to Oct 01; operations in Orange Free State, Oct 1901 to 31 May 02 (Queen's Medal with four clasps)

Transferred to the South Nigerian Regiment in 1901 and Aide-de-Camp to the Governor of South Nigeria in 1901

Operations in South Nigeria 1904 (Medal with clasp)

Operations in South Nigeria 1904-1905: Patrol through the unsettled portion of Ibibio and Kwa country (Clasp)

Operations in South Nigeria 1905-06: Bende-Onitsha Hinterland Expedition (Clasp)

Retired 1907

Promoted Captain, RWF on 30 May 13

Adjutant, 6th Bn, RWF in 1913-14

At the time of his death he was serving as Bde Major, 158th Brigade

Mentioned in Despatches

DOW received in the Dardanelles on 9 Dec 1915.

I have been unable to find a photo.

Sources: Charterhouse Register 1872-1931; To What End Did They Die?; various Army Lists.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick,

that is a great help - irons out some of the inconsistencies in other sources.

Once again, my grateful thanks to you.

LST_164

Dick,

unlikely as this may seem, since my last posting above I have found yet another public school candidate for whom I would like further information if possible - indeed maybe more than one.

THOMAS, Lieut. Trevor 16th RWF

Educated Wellington College

KIA France 10 January 1916 - allegedly aged 18, but he was commissioned in 1914 so questionable.

Son of Lt.-Col. (later Brigr.-Genl. Sir) Owen Thomas of Anglesey & London

If there is a result for this, it is worth noting that he had two older brothers who might also have been educated there, and who also died in the War, namely

THOMAS, Owen Vincent Captain/Flight Commander ex-RWF;RFC and RAF. Commissioned 1914, killed in flying accident in the UK 29 July 1918 aged 24

THOMAS, Robert Newton Captain ex-RWF; General List & RFC. Commissioned 1914, killed in action Palestine 23 July 1917. Croix de Guerre. Previously served as a boy Bugler in the S.African War, Prince of Wales' Light Horse.

Your help appreciated.

LST_164

I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended - I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers). Please give me the man's name, school attended and general time frame when making your request and indicate what type of information you are looking for.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dear Dick,I should appreciate any info.on Captain John Lyndhurst Vaughan,born 1896,Harrow School to 1914,9th East Surreys,killed 1916.

Michael

Captain John Lyndhurst Vaughan, MC

The second son of J. M. Vaughan of Sylva, Putney Heath

Educated at Harrow School from 1910 to 1914 (Gym VIII; Middle Weight Boxing Champion)

Won the Public School Light Weight Boxing Competition at Aldershot

Commissioned into the East Surrey Regiment in 1914

Won the Boxing Championship at Plymouth against all regiments in garrison.

Went to France August 1915

For a year was in the trenches at Hooge, Festubert and on the Somme

Received the Military Cross "for attempting to save the life of a brother-officer and for general efficiency."

On 16 August 1916 he organized and led an attack on Guillemont which failed. He was wounded in the knee but continued to advance, when, at the end of the action, he was hit in the head by a sniper and instantaneously killed.

His brother, 2nd Lieut. C A V Vaughan was killed in the battle of Loos on 25 Sept. 1915.

The photo is from the first named source.

Sources: Harrow Memorials of the Great War, Volume IV; Harrow School Register, 1885-1925; Harrovian War Supplement, December 1916.

post-765-1235241703.jpg

Hi Dick. I would like to take you up on your generous offer, if you have some time available.

I am looking for information on

Victor Glencoe Standington GUY was in attendance according to the 1911 census at Duke of York Military School

William Charles GUY (his elder brother by 6 years) - I guess he would have been in attendance about 1904.

Thanks.

Zeli

• 2 weeks later...

Dick, do you have any info on Robert Eley Soames who was at school in Rugby (but I can only assume it was Rugby School).

Thanks.

Dick

When time permits, could you see if you have anything on these two: Hugh Peter E.M. Melly, 2/Lieut, King's Own Royal Lancaster, d. 1 Jul 1916. The King's Own Museum have sent me this: " Melly joined the King's Own from the 3rd Battalion Liverpool Regiment. He must have gone overseas after 1915 as there is no record of the award of any Stars. He was killed in action on 1st July 1916, although some records state the date of death as 2nd July 1916, at Serre, Somme".

Also:

John Nicholas Sergiades, Lieut, 19th Bn, King's Liverpool, d. 30 Jul 1916 (Thiepval Mem.) who both may have been at Marlborough.

Photographs would be of particular interest.

With thanks again.

Daggers

Zeli wrote:

I am looking for information on Victor Glencoe Standington GUY was in attendance according to the 1911 census at Duke of York Military School

William Charles GUY (his elder brother by 6 years) - I guess he would have been in attendance about 1904.

Zeli: The only thing I have on the Duke of York Military School is a list of the dead and neither "Guy" is on it. Regards, Dick Flory

Clive Temple wrote:

Dick, do you have any info on Robert Eley Soames who was at school in Rugby

Lieutenant Robert Eley Soames, E Surrey Regt.

Born on 19 February 1895 , the only son of Alfred Soames, Electrical Engineer, of Grafton, Weybridge, and of Florence, sister of George Herbert Aitken, an old Rugbeian.

Educated at Rugby School from 1909 to 1913 (played on the VI) and at Oriel College, Oxford from 1913 to

Enlisted in the Public Schools Brigade in August 1914

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in September 1914

Went to France with the 8th (Service) Bn, E Surrey Regt. on 1 August 1915

Invalided to the UK in October 1915 with a wound to the head.

Returned to France in February 1916

On 1 July 1916, as a platoon commander, he took part in the famous football charge of the East Surreys against Montauban, over a mile and a quarter of open ground. In the course of the attack he was shot through the heart and killed.

The photo is from the first source below.

Sources: Memorials of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War; Rugby School Register, 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register; Oxford University Roll of Service.

Regards, Dick Flory

post-765-1236204172.jpg

daggers wrote: Hugh Peter E.M. Melly, 2/Lieut, King's Own Royal Lancaster, d. 1 Jul 1916 and John Nicholas Sergiades, Lieut, 19th Bn, King's Liverpool, d. 30 Jul 1916 (Thiepval Mem.) who both may have been at Marlborough.

Lt. John Nicholas Sergiades, Liverpool Regt.

Born 7 March 1887, the sond of N. Sergiades of Liverpool

Educated at Marlborough College from September 1900 to 1901

At the Liverpool Corn Exchange from 1902

Served in the Great War with the 19th Bn, King's Liverpool Regiment from 1914

Lieutenant, 1915

Missing and presumed killed at Guillemont on 1 August 1916.

Sources: Marlborough College Register 1843-1933

2nd Lieut. Hugh Peter Egerton Mesnard, R Lancs Regt.

Born in 1896, the son of Colonel H. M. Melly, Quinta, Greenheys Road, Liverpool

Educated at Malvern College from 1911 to 1914 (Army III-I)

Passed into RMC, Sandhurst, but did not enter

Served in Great War as 2nd Lieutenant, R Lancashire Regt.

KIA at the Somme on 1 July 1916

Sources: The Malvern College Register 1865-1924

I can not find a photo of either officer.

Regards, Dick Flory

More casualties, I'm afraid Dick, if you have them on record...

HABERSHON, Kenneth Rees

educated Winchester, and New College Oxford

Captain, 12th Rifle Brigade

killed at Ypres, 12 February 1916 aged 26

family resident London, but appears on the Menai Bridge, Anglesey war memorial

NB he had an elder brother Leonard Osborne Habershon, Capt. 13th East Yorkshire Regt., killed Somme 13 November 1916 aged 23, in case he also went to the same school.

HOLME, Bertram Lester

educated Marlborough and Queens College Cambridge (MA)

Lieutenant, Royal Welsh Fusiliers

DOW Mesopotamia 25 April 1916 aged 27

family previously of Ormskirk, Lancs., later of Penmon Anglesey

MANNING, Robert Charles

born Dublin, educated Chesterfield, Birr, Kings County Portora Royal School,

Trinity College Dublin (OTC) (MA, MAI)

enlisted Canada 1914, commissioned RE 1915; DSO, MC, MID with Tunnelling Companies

DOW France 6 September 1918 aged 29

family Hillsborough, County Down and Holyhead/Valley Anglesey

NB he had an elder brother Victor Lionel Manning, 2/Lt. MGC KIA France 23 March 1918 aged 32 in case he went to the same schools.

Lastly, can I please flag up again my post of 19 feb re. 2/Lt Trevor Thomas ex-Wellington College, Berks. (& his brothers) in case you do have this school's Roll?

Your assistance is genuinely appreciated.

LST_164

HABERSHON, Kenneth Rees

Born on 8 Aug 1889, the son of Samuel Herbert Habershon, MD of 88 Harley Street, London

Educated at Winchester from 1903-08 (Assoc. XI, 1908; OTH VI 197-08, Capt., 1907-08) and New College, Oxford

Before the war he was in business in Winnipeg

Private, Rifle Brigade, 1914

Captain, 12th Rifle Brigade

killed at Ypres, 12 February 1916 aged 26

family resident London, but appears on the Menai Bridge, Anglesey war memorial

HABERSHON, Leonard Osborne

Born on 18 June 1893, the son of Samuel Herbert Habershon, MD of 88 Harley Street, London

Educated at Winchester College from 1907-1912

Captain, 13 Bn, E Yorks Regt.

KIA on 13 Nov 1916 between Serre and Heburterne

There should be photos of each of them in Wykhamist Who Died in the Great War, volumes II and III (Unfortunately I only have volumes I and IV.

Sources: Winchester College Register 1884-1934; Wykhamist War Service Roll, 1919.

HOLME, Bertram Lester

Born on 22 August 1888, the son of G. G. Holme, Heimath, Aughton, near Ormskirk, Liverpool

educated at Marlborough College from Jan 1902 and 1906 and Queens College Cambridge (MA

Before the war he was Assistant Master of College School, Liverpool

2nd Lieutenant, 12th Bn, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, 1914

Lieutenant, 1915

DOW on 25 April 1916 of wounds received on 10 April 1916.

Sources: Marlborough College Register, 1843-1933; War List of University of Cambridge 1914-1919.

MANNING, Robert Charles

born Dublin, son of Capt. L. J. Manning, MBE

Educated Chesterfield, Birr, Kings County Portora Royal School, and Trinity College Dublin (OTC) (BAI, 1912; MA, MAI)

enlisted Canada 1914, Lance Corporal, Canadian Contgt., August 1914

commissioned RE 1915

WIA, Ypres, 21 Sept 1915

MiD, LG 3 Jan 16

MC, LG 14 Jan 16

Captain and Adjutant, RE, 1916

MiD, LG Jan 1917

DSO, 1917

French Legion of Honor, Jan 1918

Major, 1918

Served in France with 170th Tunneling Company, RE

DOW France 6 September 1918 aged 29

family Hillsborough, County Down and Holyhead/Valley Anglesey

Sources: University of Dublin War List, 1922; The Distinguished Service Order, 1886-1923.

Victor Lionel Manning, 2/Lt. MGC KIA France 23 March 1918 - not a student at U of Dublin.

2/Lt Trevor Thomas

Son of Lt. Col. O. Thomas

Educated at Wellington College from 190-1911

Served as 2nd Lt, Great War with the Royal Welch Fusiliers

KIA 1916

Neither of his brothers attended Wellington College

Source: Wellington College Register, 1859-1948.

Unfortunately no photos. Regards, Dick Flory

Dick,

very many thanks indeed for your research on those men - I am in the process of reviewing old research notes and so am finding information I hadn't previously incorporated into my Anglesey roll.

Regards,

LST_164

Hi - I have a Roll of honour for the Crypt School in Gloucester if do not already have it.... Am happy to share if required.

Simon

LST,

Here is Captain Kenneth Rees Habershon

post-1871-1236407625.jpg

Captain Leonard Osborne Habershon.

post-1871-1236408491.jpg

Dick

Is there an entry for Arthur Boyston Slee in Clifton College. I think he would have arrived in about 1898

Many thanks John

Hambo wrote:

Is there an entry for Arthur Boyston Slee in Clifton College. I think he would have arrived in about 1898?

Major Arthur Boyston Slee, MC, RFA

Military Cross (Geo. V)

1914-1915 Star (Lieut., R.F.A.)

British War Medal (Major)

WW1 Victory Medal with M. I. D. (Major)

1939-1945 War Medal

Canadian Volunteer Service Medal

Memorial Cross (GV)

M. C. 1 January1919

M. I. D. 15 June 1916

Slee was born on 7 March 1886; the son of Mrs. A. C. Slee of Synyards, Otham, near Maidenstone, Kent, England. He attended Clifton College from 1900 to 1904. From October 1909 to December 1912 he served as a Private in the Malay States Volunteer Rifles and was discharged when his section was disbanded owing to the distance from headquarters.

He attested as a Driver (Regimental Number 771030) in the 50th (Northumbrian) Divisional Ammunition Column and went to France with that unit on 23 April 1915. In April 1915 he completed the Anti-Aircraft course at Shoeburyness, England and was promoted to Temporary Lieutenant, R. F. A. on 12 September 1915. He went overseas with the 40th Anti-AircraftSection, 16th Anti-Aircraft Battery, R. G. A. On 10 July 1916 he was appointed as an Acting Captain and posted as Commanding Officer of the 25th Anti-Aircraft Battery.

Slee relinquished the rank of Acting Captain on 26 November 1916 and his battery was redesignated as “L” Anti-Aircraft Battery. During 1917 he attended the Gas Course in France and on 4 February 1917 he was appointed Acting Captain and second in command of “L” Anti-Aircraft Battery.

He was posted as Officer Commanding of “O” Anti-Aircraft Battery on 1 September 1917 and appointed Acting Major on 2 September 1917. On 31 October 1918 he was attached to Headquarters, Anti-Aircraft Defence Command, Third Army. He embarked for England for release on 26 January1919 and was gazetted out of the service as a Temporary Captain and Acting Major on 27 January1919.

Slee was awarded the Military Cross for service with ‘O’ Anti-Aircraft Battery, RGA which he served with from June 1915 to February 1919. After the war he was a rubber planter in Malay and spoke Tamil and Malay. He immigrated to Vancouver, British Columbia on the Empress of Russia on 26 April 1930. From 1937 to 1939 he was Officer Commanding of 62nd Field Battery (Howitzer), Royal Canadian Artillery, Canadian Active Service Force at Duncan , British Colombia.

On 1 September 1940 he was promoted to Major and posted to No. 11 District Depot, Canadian Active Service Force and was then attached for duty to No. III N. P. A. M. Training Centre at Saanich. Slee died in the service of a heart attack at 18:35 hours on Thursday, 31 October 1940 at the age of 54. He was buried at Duncan (St. Peter’s) Cemetary in British Columbia, Canada Row D, Grave 8.

Slee was the husband of Monica Claire Slee of “Kelston,” Herd Road, Duncan , British Colombia. They had one son, Richard Slee. On 26 June 1941 two Canadian Memorial Crosses were issued, one to his wife (Registration No. 430) and the other to his mother (Registration No. 431)

Sources:

Army Lists

London Gazette

Medal Index Card

Officer’s Papers (WO339/25398)

Canadian Officer’s Papers (Canadian Archives)

Clifton College Register, 1962-1947

CWGC Record of Commemoration

Attached is a photo of the Canadian Memorial Cross named to Major Slee. I would be interested in any information you have on Slee that is not contained in the above biography. Regards, Dick Flory

post-765-1236449368.jpg

Dick

I only expected a register entry!!

I can add a little but not much after that reply but before Clifton he went to Hazelwood Prep School in Limpsfield Surrey and left there in the summer of 1898.

He became engaged to Muriel Faulkner-Williamson in December 1915 but it appears they never married

and some detail on his wedding

He married on March 2nd 1922 to Monica Clare (nee Green) at St John’s Church, Bukit, Nanas, Kuala Lumpur in Malaya

Hope this small offering helps and thankyou so much for your information

Best regards John