The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Hello Dick,

Have you got anything for St. Mary's College, Harlow, Essex?

If you do, could you look up Gerald Charles Northcott COOKE for me?

Thank you.

Rob

Rob: Sorry, I have nothing on St. Mary's College. Regards, Dick Flory

Would it be possible to check out aby information on Trinity college Oxford for 2 brothers 2nd Lt Arthur Henry Plummer Oct 1910 to july 1914 and his brother Reverend Chaplain to the forces Charles Benjamin Plummer. These 2 brothers died in service of the King.[Arthur was also educated at Trent college from 1901 to 1910] If you can add any further information at there time at these establishments i would be extremly grateful.

Izzy: The Oxford University Roll of Service gives the following:

2nd Lt A H Plummer (Oct 19, 1914) 2 Lt 5th King's (Liverpool Regiment). France. KIA near La Bassee on May 17 1915

Rev. C B Plummer, MA (Nov 24, 1914) Chaplain to the Forces (4th Class) KIA on Mar 12, 1917.

Dick Flory

Dick sorry about the delay in answering, many thanks for the information regarding the 2 Plummer brothers.

Dear Dick,

Do you have anything on an Old Rugbian

Alfred Slater reynolds, 2nd Lt., RFA, kia 25.7.17, buried in Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery?

Bruce

2nd Lieut. Alfred Slater Reynolds, RFA

Born at Southport on 10 March 1896, the eldest son of Alfred Henry Reynolds, a banker, and Elizabeth Cronkshaw Reynolds (daughter of James Slater) of Bank House, Southport

Educated at Rugby School from Sept 1910 to 1913

Received a Bachelor of Engineering from Liverpool University in 1917

Gentleman Cadet at Royal Military College, Woolwich in Spring 1916

Gazetted as a 2nd Lieutenant, RFA on 28 February 1917

Went to France on 11 March 1917

Served in France and Flanders with 70th Battery, 34th Brigade, RFA

Instantly KIA on 24 July 1917 by a shell that fell in the gun position between the Ypres Canal and the village of Brielen, Flanders.

He was buried at Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery two days later.

Sources: Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register; Memorials of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War, Volume V; University of Liverpool Roll of Service August 1914 to November 1918; The Roll of Honour, Volume II, Part III.

The photo is from Memorials of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War, Volume V.

Regards, Dick Flory

post-765-1241990148.jpg

Izzy

There are sections on three Plummers In 'Liverpool's Scroll of Fame' at the L'pool Record Office: AH, CB, & FR. Probably pictures as well as biographies.

D

Dear Dick,

Many thanks for Reynolds....a great help....especially the picture.

I owe you a Kwak.

Bruce

Hi Dick,

i wonder if i could trouble you again?

I'm looking for anything on William Henry Nixon, he was an Chaplain in the war and was at Christ College, Cambridge. He did survive the war i'm led to believe so he might not have a mention?

Dean.

Chaplain to the Forces, 2nd Class Rev. William Henry Nixon

BA, Christ's College, Cambridge, 1887; MA 1891

Deacon, 1888

Priest, 1889 at York

From 1888 to 1893 he was Curate at Scarborough

Curate at Kegworth from 1893 to 1895

Vicar of Winster from 1895 to 1926

Chaplain to the Forces, 4th Class, 2nd Volunteer Bn, The Sherwood Foresters, 3 Feb 1904

Chaplain to the Forces, 4th Class, 6th Bn, The Sherwood Foresters, 1 Apr 1906

Chaplain to the Forces, 3rd Class, 6th Bn, The Sherwood Foresters, 3 Feb 1914

Mentioned in Despatches

Vicar of Matlock Bank, Diocese of Derby from 1926

Sources: The War List of the University of Cambrige, 1914-1919; Crockford's Clerical Directory, 1932; various Army Lists.

Regards, Dick Flory

Thank you Dick, as always excellent.

Dean.

• 1 month later...
I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended - I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers). Please give me the man's name, school attended and general time frame when making your request and indicate what type of information you are looking for.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick any idea of the value of the following "List of Etonians who fought in the Great War" very old book I have it and the Glasgow University roll of members who served with the crown in the Great War published in 1922 . I have scoured the net to find a value on both but no luck so far. Both books in outstanding condition

regards

max

Nemisis: These two books are fairly common. Right now ABE Books has two copies of List of Etonians who fought in the Great War for £15 each and the a single copy of Glasgow University roll of members who served with the crown in the Great War for £25. They are not among the higher priced Great War rolls because they list only the names and regiment of each man. The expensive volumes are the ones with long biographies and photos of the men.

Regards, Dick Flory

Nemisis: These two books are fairly common. Right now ABE Books has two copies of List of Etonians who fought in the Great War for £15 each and the a single copy of Glasgow University roll of members who served with the crown in the Great War for £25. They are not among the higher priced Great War rolls because they list only the names and regiment of each man. The expensive volumes are the ones with long biographies and photos of the men.

Regards, Dick Flory

Thanks For reply Dick , Another one I got is the Shetland Roll of honour thats a very nice book with lots of pictures /write ups etc

thanks again

max

Hello Dick

Please could I trouble you again? I am looking for info on this officer whose surname has turned up in a set of letters that I am editing: Lieutenant Arthur Carr-Glyn Lonsdale, 6th Bn KRRC, attached 2nd Bn Royal Scots Fusiliers, died on 10 March 1915. His CWGC entry says "scholar of Eton and Radley and an undergraduate of Trinity College, Cambridge". Many thanks, Charles

Lt. Arthur Carr Glyn Lonsdale

Born at Wall, Staffordshire on 7 Sept 1891, the son of Rev. John Henry Lonsdale, Rector of Fontmell Magma, Dorset and Mrs. Lonsdale of The Further House, Wimborne

Educated at St. Peter's College, Radley from 1908-1910 (College XI, 1910; Racket's Vest, 1908-10; Five's Vest, 1908-10) and at Trinity College, Cambridge from 1910-15 (University Tennis, O.T.C.; College Hockey team; BA 1915.

During the Great War he served with the 6th Bn (SR), KRRC, attached to 2nd Bn, R. Scots. Fus. 1914-1915

Lieutenant, Jan 1915

On 10 March 1915 he was wounded while leading his company at Neuve Chapelle and died of wounds on 13 March 1915.

The photo is from the second reference. The second reference indicates that he was an Eton Scholar but he is not listed in the Eton Register for 1909 to 1919 nor in Etonians who Fought in the Great War.

Sources: Radley Register 1847-1933; The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume 2.

Regards, Dick Flory

post-765-1245976853.jpg

is there a roll for bangor

DAVIES, Second Lieutenant, Claude. 1st Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. Died of wounds, 1915. Age 23. Born in 1892 at Llanrwst. Resided at Rugby. Educated at Bangor University College. Charge-hand, Electrical Laboratory, British Thompson Houston Ltd. Former Coventry City player.

Do you have one for Bangor doesn't appear to be on CWGC, last attempt

Thanks

Do you have Osborne Naval College?

I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of hpnor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended - I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers). Please give me the man's name, school attended and general time frame when making your request and indicate what type of information you are looking for.

Regards. Dick Flory

tharkin56 wrote:

DAVIES, Second Lieutenant, Claude. 1st Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. Died of wounds, 1915. Age 23. Born in 1892 at Llanrwst. Resided at Rugby. Educated at Bangor University College. Charge-hand, Electrical Laboratory, British Thompson Houston Ltd. Former Coventry City player. Do you have one for Bangor doesn't appear to be on CWGC, last attempt

I do not have a register for Bangor University College but I think I can tell you the problem with your man. He is actually 2nd Lieutenant David Claude Graham Davies, 1st Siege Battery, RGA who died of wounds on 15 May 1915. His name is wrongly given in City of Coventry Roll of the Fallen which appears to be where you initial information originated.

Regards, Dick Flory

Jesse wrote:

Do you have Osborne Naval College?

Jesse: Sorry, nothing on the Osborne Naval College. Regards, Dick Flory

thanks for that, great info. Never have got it otherwise

Done a quick check on my records artillery and have the following, would be interested in anything you can add. I ahve some pictures of the men just cataloging them now for a rewrite of the roll of the fallen for coventry

Any help appreciated

FORSYTH, Lieutenant, Samuel Sanford. Royal Field Artillery. Killed in action, Hooge, 23rd September, 1915. Age 30. Son of Mrs. Ellen Sanford Forsyth, and the late Col. Frederick Aitken Forsyth. Born 31st October, 1884 at Leamington. Resided at Leamington. Educated at Wellington College and Hertford College. Solicitor. Enlisted August, 1914. Mentioned in Despatches. Memorial Ref. Panel 5 and 9. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium.

HOBDEN, Second Lieutenant, Ernest. 328th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. Killed in action, 20th October, 1918. Employed Town Clerk’s Department. Grave Ref. C. 50. Quievy Communal Cemetery Extension, France.

KING, Lieutenant, Charles Kenneth. 1st /1st Glamorgan Bty., Royal Horse Artillery. Died of wounds, Arras, 10th May, 1917. Age 26. Son of Charles Harry and Charlotte King, of The Chantry House, Billericay, Essex. Born 10th January, 1891 in Stoney Stanton Road, at Coventry. Resided Clacton-on-sea. General Manager, Motor Omnibus Company. Enlisted August, 1914. Commemorated King Henry VIII School. Grave Ref. VI. G. 32. Faubourg D'amiens Cemetery, Arras, Pas de Calais, France.

LLOYD, Second Lieutenant, William Merrick Ellis. 40th Bde., Royal Field Artillery. Killed in action, 19th May, 1917. Age 23. Son of Hannah M. U. Allen (formerly Lloyd), of Asleton House, 69, Compton Rd., Wolverhampton, and the late William Ellis Lloyd. Educated Radley College. Employed Daimler Co. Ltd. Enlisted 1915. Grave Ref. V. F. 9. Faubourg D'amiens Cemetery, Arras, France

NORRIS, Second Lieutenant, Sydney Frank. Royal Field Artillery. 28th April. 1919. Age 22. Son of Frank H Norris, of 791, Foleshill Rd Coventry, and the late Bertha Annie Norris. Grave Ref. In small plot against N. West side. Turin Town Cemetery, Italy.

PRIDMORE, Major, Reginald George, MC. "C" Bty. 240th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. Killed in action near the Piave River, Arcade, 13th March, 1918. Age 31. Only son of George William and Sarah Louisa Pridmore, of Coventry, Warwickshire. The inscription on his original wooden cross erected by his comrades read. "A most Gallant Sportsman and Comrade". Born 29th April, 1886 at Birmingham. Stockbroker. Enlisted September, 1914. Awarded the Military cross for conspicuous gallantry during operations as Forward Observing officer. He displayed great coolness under fire, notably on one occasion when his observation post was very heavily shelled, both he and his look out man were partially buried but he carried on and send in valuable reports. Grave Ref. Plot 1. Row D. Grave 5. Giavera British Cemetery, Arcade, Italy

SPENCER, Second Lieutenant, Charles Herbert Slingsby. "C" Bty. 330th Bde., Royal Field Artillery. Killed in action, 5th October, 1918. Age 25. Husband of Gertrude Mary Spencer, of 94, Ashbourne Rd., Aigburth, Liverpool. Born 7th May, 1893 at London. Resided Leamington. Apprentice Britannia Foundry Company Ltd. Enlisted August, 1914. Grave Ref. III. E. 2. Pont d’Achellles Military Cemetery, Nieppe, France.

TOMLINSON, Second Lieutenant, Herbert Cecil. 39th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. Died of wounds, 21st March, 1918. Resided Warwick. Solicitor’s Clerk Enlisted August, 1914. Grave Ref. III. A. 12. Nine Elms British Cemetery, Belgium.

WYLEY, Lieutenant, William Reginald Fitzthomas. Royal Field Artillery. Killed in action by a shell, Ovillers, 19th September, 1916. Age 24. Son of Colonel William Fitzthomas Wyley and Clara Margaret Wyley, of Charterhouse, Coventry. Born 23rd January, 1892. Resided at Charterhouse. Educated at Oxford University (Balliol College). Enlisted August, 1914. Grave Ref. G. 44. Aveluy Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme, France.

local paper report on claude pinted out he had written to his mother stating he expecting to fighting right through the night and then would have a long sleep - a prediction that unfortunately only proved too true.

Dick - as always, very many thanks for info on Lonsdale. (Makes me wonder where the Eton reference came from.)

Charles

tharkin56 wrote:

Done a quick check on my records artillery and have the following, would be interested in anything you can add. I ahve some pictures of the men just cataloging them now for a rewrite of the roll of the fallen for coventry

Here is what I have in addition to your notes:

Lieut. Samuel Sanford Forsyth, RFA

Admitted as a solicitor in August 1909

Educated at Wellington College from 1899 to 1902 and at Hertford College, Oxford (BA, 1906, BCL, MA

Managing Clerk with R A Rotherham of Coventry before the war.

Enlisted as a Gunner, RFA on 6 Aug 1914 and later promoted to Bombardier

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut, RFA on 23 Sept 1914

Went to France with 23rd Brigade, RFA

Served as ADC to General F. Wing and also to General Sandilands

In Sept 1915 given command of a Trench Mortar Battery

Mentioned in Despatches

Killed in action at Hooge, near Ypres on 25 Sept 1915

Sources: Record of Service of Solicitors and Articled Clerks with His Majesty’s Forces; Wellington College Register; Oxford University Roll of Service.

Lieut. Charles Kenneth King, RHA

Native of Clacton on Sea

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, 1st Glamorgan RHA on 30 May 1915

Promoted Lieutenant, 29 June 29 June 1916

DOW in France on 10 May 1917

Commemorated on the Clacton War Memorial

Source: The Clacton Roll of Honour 1914-1919.

2nd Lt. William Merrick Ellis Lloyd, RFA

Son of Hannah M U Allen (earlier Lloyd)

Educated at St. Peter’s College, Radley from 1907 to 1912

Employed with Daimler Co. in Coventry prior to war

Enlisted as Gunner in the RHA in 1915

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., RFA SR in 1916

Served in France with 40th Brigade, RFA during 1916 and 1917

KIA on 19 May 1917

Sources: Radley Register 1947-1933; Doon House Magazine, No. 43, December 1918.

Major Reginald George Pridmore, RFA

Commissioned into the 4th South Midland Bde, RFA TF in Sept 1914

Joined 241st Brigade, RFA TF in May 1916

Military Cross, London Gazette of 20 Oct 1916

Officer Commanding, D Battery, 241st Brigade, RFA TF from August 1917 to March 1918

Transferred to C Battery, 240th Brigade, RFA TF in March 1918 in Italy

Killed in action at Arcade, Italy on the Piave River, Italy on 13 March 1918 (Interestingly An Outline History of the 240th Brigade, RFA does not mention him and indicates that in March 1918 “the front was very quiet – practically no shelling from either side.”)

The photo of him is from the second mentioned source below

Sources: An Outline History of the 240th Brigade, RFA; 241st Brigade, RFA TF 1914-1919; Before the Echoes Die Away: The Story of a Warwickshire Territorial Gunner Regiment, 1892 to 1969.

Lieut. William Reginald Fitzthomas Wyley, RFA

Born on 23 Jan 1892, the only son of Colonel W F Wyley, VD of Charterhouse, Coventry

Educated at Rugby School from 1906-1910 and at Balliol College, Oxford from 1910-1914 (College XV, 1911-14; coxed the Torpid that was head of the river in 1911 and the Eight in 1911 and 1912; member of Oxford U Drama Society.

Commissioned into the 4th South Midland Howitzer Brigade, RFA in Nov 1913 and served with the Coventry Battery, in the Brigade.

Mobilized in Aug 1914 and went to France in March 1915

From March 1915 to April 1916 was Orderly Officer, 240th Brigade, RFA and served as Adjutant of the Brigade from April 1916 until his death

KIA by a shell at Ovillers on 19 Sept 1916 during the Battle of the Somme and buried at Aveluy

The book “Frank West: Lt. Col, 4th South Midland Brigade (How) RFA, A Record of the Great War 1914-1916” written by West’s wife says “The same day, written on September 19th, came his (Col. West’s) heartbroken appeal for love and sympathy on the death of Billy Wyley. Billy was at the time the acting Adjutant, but was quite close, only about 30 yards from Frank’s shell hole. He and Frank had been together ever since the outbreak of the war, billeted together at Baddow, and in Ploegsteert Wood and at Hebuterne, and Frank looked upon him as a young brother. They were devoted to each other, and Frank’s one wish was that I should go and see the boy’s mother and father. Billy was buried beside Captain Stone in Aveluy where Frank was soon to join them.” (Col. West was killed in action nine days later, on 28 Sept 1916.)

The photo of Wyley in uniform is from the fourth listed source; the one of him in mufti is from the first listed source.

Sources: Balliol College War Memorial Book, Volume II; Rugby School War Register; Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Memorials to Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War, Volume IV; Frank West: Lt. Col, 4th South Midland Brigade (How) RFA, A Record of the Great War 1914-1916.

Lt WRF Wyley in uniform:

Lt WRF Wyley in mufti:

post-765-1246062829.jpg

post-765-1246063015.jpg

post-765-1246063086.jpg