The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick

Could you please look up Cheltenham College for John E Thornhill, attended 1890s, and (possibly) George R Thornhill, who may have been there 1900s.

Thanks

Dave

Lt.-Col. John Evelyn Thornhill, Seaforth Highlanders

Born on 7 Apr 80, the son of Francis Emlyn Thornhill, Esq., Rathangan House, Rathangan, Co. Kildare

Educated at Cheltenham College from Jan 1895 to Jul 1898 and at RMC, Sandhurst in 1898.

Commissioned into the Seaforth Highlanders in 1899

Promoted Captain in 1906

Served in South African War from 1900 to 1902 (two medals and five clasps)

During Great War was Brevet Lt.-Col., twice mentioned in despatches and DSO

Died at Gibraltar on 2 Oct 18.

No mention of George R Thornhill in the register.

Source: Cheltenham College Register 1841-1927.

Lt.-Col. John Evelyn Thornhill, Seaforth Highlanders

Born on 7 Apr 80, the son of Francis Emlyn Thornhill, Esq., Rathangan House, Rathangan, Co. Kildare

Educated at Cheltenham College from Jan 1895 to Jul 1898 and at RMC, Sandhurst in 1898.

Commissioned into the Seaforth Highlanders in 1899

Promoted Captain in 1906

Served in South African War from 1900 to 1902 (two medals and five clasps)

During Great War was Brevet Lt.-Col., twice mentioned in despatches and DSO

Died at Gibraltar on 2 Oct 18.

No mention of George R Thornhill in the register.

Source: Cheltenham College Register 1841-1927.

Thanks again Dick

Dave

Dick

Could you please look up one more for me -

Rudolph M Smythe of King Henry VIII School, Coventry in the 1890s

Dave

Dear Dick

Do you have records for St Pauls School and Guy"s Hospital ?

My uncle Cyril Henry Edwards went to both.

He is listed in 1911 census as a medical student aged 20 so must have been at St Pauls circa 1904/1909

Commonwealth War Graves Commission record him as Edwards CH Captain Royal Army Medical Corps died 27th August 1920 buried Peterculter New Burial Ground Aberdeen.

Grateful for any record as it is hard to research temporary doctor officers.Their records were, I believe destroyed in the 1930`s

Tony Edwards

Tony: Guy's Hospital Roll of War Service gives only: 'Edwards, C H, Temp. Capt., RAMC, War Hospital, Norbury. The St. Paul's Register is one of the few I have still not been able to locate. Regards, Dick Floyr

Dave: Unfortunately I do not have anything on King Henry VIII School, Coventry. Regards, Dick

i have a copy of doing its part nobly which cover king henry VIII school coventry in detail with a photo he will also appear in a project i am doing on coventry men, are you after all the info and do you have any pictures of the one of the book he about 12 - 14 in a rugby kit. By the way have bablake and the great war if interested in coventry men

Dear Dick

Do you have records for St Pauls School and Guy"s Hospital ?

My uncle Cyril Henry Edwards went to both.

He is listed in 1911 census as a medical student aged 20 so must have been at St Pauls circa 1904/1909

Commonwealth War Graves Commission record him as Edwards CH Captain Royal Army Medical Corps died 27th August 1920 buried Peterculter New Burial Ground Aberdeen.

Grateful for any record as it is hard to research temporary doctor officers.Their records were, I believe destroyed in the 1930`s

Tony Edwards

Thanks Dick didnt know about War Hospital Norbury.every little helps Tony

i have a copy of doing its part nobly which cover king henry VIII school coventry in detail with a photo he will also appear in a project i am doing on coventry men, are you after all the info and do you have any pictures of the one of the book he about 12 - 14 in a rugby kit. By the way have bablake and the great war if interested in coventry men

All I really need is the dates he attended the school - I know he was there for the 1901 census - this is for a booklet I am compiling about the men on the Eaton Socon War Memorial - other info would be useful to confirm what I already have - photo would be nice, as only ones I have are a poor newspaper copy and a group one of the 5th Battalion Bedford Regiment.

Regards

Dave

Rudolph mead symthe born 1886 and boarded king henry 1894 to 1902. Nothing else much about him from 1902 to 1915 when he became captain. can you fill the gap, 1902 to 1915 i'll upload the photo shortly.

trevor

Rudolph mead symthe born 1886 and boarded king henry 1894 to 1902. Nothing else much about him from 1902 to 1915 when he became captain. can you fill the gap, 1902 to 1915 i'll upload the photo shortly.

trevor

Thanks Trevor

I attach my summary of him

Regards

Dave

smythe_rm_summary.doc

Dick, if I may trouble you again!

I have twin brothers born in 1882 who, I believe, went to The Oratory School, but I dont know if it was the Oratory in Edgbaston, Birmingham or South Kensington, London. I wonder if you have a memorial volume for either school?

The boys were sons of the Earl of Granard. One twin, Bertram Aloysius Forbes, served in the Royal Irish Riles and was attached to the Egyptian Army. He survived.

The other twin, Fergus George Arthur Forbes, was a Captain in the Royal Irish Regiment, 2nd Battalion, and was killed at the Battle of Mons, 23 August 1914, aged 32. His death was not finally officially confirmed until late 1918 as there had been a possibility that he was a POW.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks

Moriaty

is there a roll for bangor

DAVIES, Second Lieutenant, Claude. 1st Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. Died of wounds, 1915. Age 23. Born in 1892 at Llanrwst. Resided at Rugby. Educated at Bangor University College. Charge-hand, Electrical Laboratory, British Thompson Houston Ltd. Former Coventry City player.

Do you have one for Bangor doesn't appear to be on CWGC, last attempt

Thanks

2nd Lt D C G Davies is on the Bangor University Memorial. I have a photo of said memorial if it's needed.

Hywyn

Edit: As I'm not regularly monitoring this thread anyone wanting a copy please contact me by PM

Do you have a Roll of Honour for Bradfield College? I am looking for a Capt. Gordon Barber b 1892 Wallasey Cheshire so probably attended the college in the early 1900's. He served with 1st Batt Cameron Highlanders and died 22 uly 1916

thanks

Judithb wrote:

Do you have a Roll of Honour for Bradfield College? I am looking for a Capt. Gordon Barber?

Lieut. Gordon Barber

Born December 1892

Educated at Bradfield College from Sept. 1906 to July 1910

Lieutenant, 1st Batt., Cameron Highlanders during Great War

Killed in action, 1916

Sources: Bradfield College Register, 1935; Bradfield College Register, 1924.

Rich M wrote:

Marlborough College , HW SAYRES ?

Nobody with that name in the Marborough College Register.

Regards. Dick Flory

Rich,

Hugh Wingfield SAYRES was educated at Allen House, Guildford, Army House, Bradfield and Loudwater, Westgate before going to Sandhurst. I put a picture of this officer up on the thread that you were inquiring about him for you.

Andy

Hi Dick !

By any chance do you have anything on Major H.N. Blakeney 1st Middlesex .... I have no information about him except this .....

I'd appreciate any help !

Thanking you in advance

Annie :)

EDIT ............ Dick ..... Nigel found this for me ! if you could add to it .... it would be terrific ! ( I believe he was the first officer wounded - but I'm not sure of that !! )

BLAKENEY, Colonel Herbert Norwood,

C.M.G. 1918 S; D.S.O. 1900; b. 23

Apr. 1871 ; s. of late Col. Henry Blakeney.

Entered army, 1890; Captain, 1900; Maior.

1905 ; Lt.-CoL 1916 ; served South. Africa, 1900-2

(despatches, D.S.O., Queen's medal 5 clasps,

King's medal 2 clasps) ; European War,19l4-l6

(despatches, wounded, C.M.G.) ; retired pay,

Hi Annie, I have just come across a box of old documents belonging to Herbert Norwood Blakeney. Mostly to do with military training etc. not much on WW1 service. Few photos. All of his service medals were given to the local Returned Servicemens Club but seem to have disapeared. If it is of any interest he retired to New Zealand in about 1920 untill he passed away in 1946. I have been unable to trace any family to pass on these docs. (he never married) so if you or anyone can help with any info. to this end i would be grateful.

Regards, Lindsay

Hi Dick

I hope you can help with this one

He is J.R Baldwin possibly J.R.B went to Wellington College probably arriving January 1909 and then seems to have gone to Brighton College in 1912. Slightly unusual that he would move schools but might give a better chance of finding him (he says hopefully)

Many thanks as always

John

John Ralph Blois Baldwin

Born on 28 June 1895, the son of A. J. Baldwin

Educated at Wellington School from Lent 1909 to Summer 1909 and at Brighton College from December 1911 to Summer 1913

Tea and rubber planter in Ceylon

He is not listed in the Brighton College War Record 1914-1919.

Sources: Brighton College Register 1847 to 1922; Wellington College Register, 1859-1949.

Regards, Dick Flory