The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick

I'd be obliged to know if you have anything on Captain Rupert Williams R.E. He was born about 1883 and was attending Shrewsbury School at the time of the 1901 Census.

Regards

Aled

Hi Dick,

Is it possible to look for John Norwood VC at Oxford University ?

I do not know which college he went to. Not sure what other info you require but if you let me know, I hopefully, I will have it to hand.

Thank You

Norwood

Carmania wrote:

Captain Rupert Williams R.E. He was born about 1883 and was attending Shrewsbury School at the time of the 1901 Census.

Captain Rupert Williams, MVO, RE

Born in 1883

Educated at Shrewsbury School from Easter Term, 1898 to 1901

Lieut. Royal Anglesey RE Militia in 1903

Capt., Royal Anglesey RE (SR) in 1912

During the Great War he was wounded and afterwards served with the Ministry of Munitions

The second source below indicates that he received an MVO but he is not listed as such in Royal Service, Volume 1.

Sources: Shrewsbury School Roll of Service 1914-1918; Shrewsbury School Register, Vol. 1, 1798-1908;

Regards, Dick Flory

norwood wrote: Is it possible to look for John Norwood VC at Oxford University ?

Captain John Norwood, VC

Born at Beckenham, Kent on 8 Sept 1876, the son of John Norwood, a hop merchant and his wife, Lucy.

Educated at The Abbey, Beckenham; at Rugby School from 1891 to 1894 (Shooting VIII, won Ashburton Shield at Bisley); and at Exeter College, Oxford University from October 1894

Joined the Army as a University candidate in 1899 and joined the 5th Dragoon Guards in India

Fought with the 5th Dragoon Guards during the South African War, 1899-1902 and received the VC for for rescuing a Trooper under heavy fire near Ladysmith on 30 October 1899. Also received the Queen's South Africa Medal with four clasps and the King's South Africa Medal with two clasps.

At All Saints at Malabar Hill, Bombay on 5 March 1904 he married Lilian Blanche Marie, the only daughter of Major General Sir Edward Cohen GCIE, CB of 9 Palmeira Mansions, Hove

Adjutant of the Calcutta Light Horse from 1904 to 1906

Retired from the active list in February 1911 and joined the 2nd County of London Yeomanry (Westminster Dragoons)

Mobilized in August 1914

During the Great War was a Captain, 2nd County of London Yeomanry (Reserve of Officers) attached 5th Dragoon Guards

KIA at Petit Morin on 8 Sep 1914 while trying to help a wounded serjeant.

The photo of him is from the last-listed source.

Sources: Oxford University Roll of Service, 1920; Register of Exeter College, Oxford 1891-1921; The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume 1; Memorials to Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War, Volume 1.

Regards, Dick Flory

post-765-1248759379.jpg

Norwood: I am afraid that I have to take issue with the comment in your signature that states that Captain Norwood was the first VC killed during the Great War. There may be other earlier ones, but Captain Edward Kinder Bradbury, 'L' Battery, RHA was killed in action while performing the act for which he received the VC at Nery on 1 September 1914. Regards, Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

I will have to concur with you.

I have been reading about Edward and found it very interesting.

I have updated my Sig , so as to keep the records straight.

Norwood

Just wondered if you had a Memorial volume for The Oratory School (either Birmingham or London) re my post on 16 July for Fergus Forbes of the Royal Irish??? I am trying to track a photograph of Fergus before I visit his grave next month.

Moriaty

I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended - I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers). Please give me the man's name, school attended and general time frame when making your request and indicate what type of information you are looking for.

Regards. Dick Flory

If your kind offer is still open, could I please ask for a look-up at Grove Park School in Wrexham. My grandfather, Iorwerth Wynn/Wynne (they added an "e" at some point) went there before WW1. He later joined the RAF in 1918. He was born in 1896.

My father, Frank Wynne (b1923) also attended Grove Park, before joining the Roayl Signal in WW2.

Thanks,

John Wynne

Moriarty wrote:

The Oratory School (either Birmingham or London)

Sorry, I have nothing on either school. Regards, Dick Flory

John Wynne wrote:

Grove Park School in Wrexham

John: Unfortunately I have nothing on Grove Park School. Regards, Dick Flory

Dick,

I wonder if you have anything on -

Lieut. Geoffrey Russell Fenton, 2nd Bn. Connaught Rangers. Born 7 November 1889, educated at Cheltenham School. KIA 20/09/1914.

Cheers

John

Archangel9 wrote:

Lieut. Geoffrey Russell Fenton, 2nd Bn. Connaught Rangers

Lieut. Geoffrey Russell Fenton

Born at Sligo on 7 Nov 1889, the son of William Russell Fenton, Esq., Solicitor, Ardaghowen, Sligo, Ireland

Educated at Cheltenham College from May 2004 to July 1908, and at RMC Sandhurst.

Gazetted 2nd Lieut, Connaught Rangers in 1909

Promoted Lieut in Febr 1910

He married Millicent, the elder daughter of Lt-Col E H Montresor, Royal Sussex Regiment in October 1912.

Went to France in August 1914

Served during the Great War with the 2nd Bn, Connaught Rangers

Killed at the Battle of the Aisne, France on 20 Sept 1914 when he was shot in the head by a sniper.

Sources: Cheltenham College Register, 1841 to 1927; The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume 1.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick et al,

It continues to frustrate me that so often the soldiers Prep School is overlooked. Then and now these can be the most formative years in a young man's education.

Arthur Carr-Glyn Lonsdale was at Summer Fields, Oxford from 1902-1905, where he played in the Cricket XI for two years. This was in the Golden Era when others such as Billy Congreve VC and Harold Macmillan were at the school.

Dick - I presume you have the SF Register?

I am a master at Summer Fields and have recently published No Time to Spare - A history of our war dead:

http://www.summerfields.oxon.sch.uk/about/notimetospare.php

More to come later!

Regards,

Chris

Chris: I agree with you completely. I do have the Summer Fields Register 1864-1960 and about 600 other British school, college, and university registers and rolls of honour and if you go through the pages of this thread I think you will see that good use has been made of them. The problem is not realizing the value of the registers but rather knowing which school, college or university the man attended. My interest is researching 20th Century Royal Artillery officers and in order to facilitate that interest I have built a 55,000 name computer database listing all of those RA officers who are listed in each of the registers, rolls of honour, unit histories, etc. in my library. This makes it very easy to quickly find information on a particular RA officer. But when correspondents ask for information on officers or men from regiments other than the RA and they don't know the school(s) the man attended, the only way to find that information is to go through each of the 600 registers until I find the man - a very time consuming process.

Your books is very interesting and I will try to obtain a copy. As I live in California and do not have a UK bank account I will have to find it at a book store or book dealer who accepts credit cards or PayPal.

Best regards, Dick Flory

Thanks Dick,

Kind of you. I may have a few things of interest to you and we may need to private message! However, I would say that it is worth looking up many of the officers prep schools, especialy if the public schools were Eton, Harrow, Winchester or Radley as extra useful imformation can be gained. If they were Summer Fields, Dragon School and a few others I know of, I have access to some good records. You may be particularly interested in a private publication I have on Henry Charles Rochfort-Boyd D.S.O. R.H.A.

Also have nice poem from John De Luze Simonds D.S.O. that I will upload for one and all when I can get on my work computer.

Regards,

Chris

Hellp again Dick,

Is it possible to find anything on Ralph Legge Pomeroy. I think he went to Oxford and Rugby but I am not too sure.

Thank you for your help

Norwood

Hello again Dick,

request for information on yet another Anglesey-connected officer from your volumes, please:

Horridge, John Leslie

Educated at Uppingham 1910-15 and its Preparatory Lower School beforehand.

Passed into Pembroke College Cambridge 1915 but did not take up his place there, so I'm unsure as to whether they'd mention him.

Qualified as a pilot then commissioned in the RFC Jan. 1916. Died as Captain RAF in an accident in the UK Nov. 1918, aged 22.

Thank you,

LST_164

Ralph Legge Pomeroy

Born on 31 Dec 69, the son of James Spencer Pomeroy, the 6th Viscount Harberton

Educated at Charterhouse School from 1882 to 1887 and at Balliol College, Oxford U (3rd Mod. Hist, and BA 1891)

2nd Lieut., 5th Dragoon Guards, 1893

Captain, 1901

Served in defence of Ladysmith, Orange Free State and Eastern Transvaal during the Boer War. Severely wounded in 1902. (QSA/3 clasps; KSA/2 clasps).

Retired 1909

Major, 4th Reserve Regt. of Cavalry, 1914

OBE (Mil.), 1918

Author of the Regimental History, 5th Dragoon Guards.

JP, Northampton

Married Mary Katherine, daughter of Arthur William Leatham of Miserden Park, Cirencester and had three sons and one daughter.

Sources: Balliol College Register 1833-1933; Charterhouse Register 1872-1931.

Regards, Dick Flory

John Leslie Horridge

Born in June 1896, the son of J. Horridge of Bolholt House, Bury

Educated at Uppingham School from January 1911 to July 1915 (XI, 1914-15; XV, 1914) and at Pembroke College, Cambridge

Captain, RAF

Accidentally killed flying, November 1918

Sources: Uppingham School 1824-1931; Pembroke College, Cambridge War List 1914-1918.

Regards, Dick Flory