The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick,

I knew there'd be another one!

Lookup requested please for:

THOMAS, Owen Vincent Born 1894, Jesus College Cambridge. Commissioned 1914, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Transfd. to RAF, killed in flying accident July 1918 aged 24.

Many thanks,

LST_164

LST 164: Afraid not much more that what you already have. Regards, Dick

Capt. O V Thomas, RAF

Matriculated at Jesus College, Cambridge in 1912

2Lt, R Welsh Fusiliers

Capt RAF

Twice mentioned in despatches

Died on 29 July 1918 of injuries received in flying accident.

Source: The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919

Not strictly speaking a British school Roll of Honour, but I believe that you have a copy of the Lloyds Bank Memorial Album?

If so, I would be very grateful if you could see if there is a picture for 2nd Lieutenant Russell Hafrenydd Jones of the 1/7th Royal Welsh Fusiliers who was killed in action in Gallipoli on 10th August 1915.

Many thanks

Moriaty

Photo of 2nd Lieut. R H Jones from the Lloyds Bank Memorial Album. Regards, Dick Flory

post-765-1250660119.jpg

I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended - I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers). Please give me the man's name, school attended and general time frame when making your request and indicate what type of information you are looking for.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dear Dick

I don't know if your offer still stands, but it is worth truying. I contact you on behalf of the Lijssenthoek project. This project aims at setting up a database of Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery. We look for personal details of the soldiers and we try to reconstruct the medical history connected to the place. It is a project granted by the Town of Poperinge and with Talbot House, CWGC and In Flanders Fields as partners. The Flemish Government contributes financially.

So far the introduction.

I was looking for some information on Ralph William Homan and I found your information on the war forum. You looked it up in the Rugby School Register, volume II.

Can you give me some more information on this school? Is there a photo of Homan in this register?

Please contact me on annemie.morisse@poperinge.be

Thanks for your help.

Warm greetings.

Annemie

I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

It would be extremely kind if you would be able to forward me a list of the pupils of Kings Norton Boys School , Birmingham, England.(would have been a grammar school in 1914) that perished in the great war.

Thanks for your help,

Sean.

Dick, very many thanks for the photograph of 2nd Lieutenant Jones, RWF, who was killed in Gallipoli, it makes such a difference knowing what a soldier looked like.

Thanks

Moriaty

Sean: Sorry, but I have nothing on Kings Norton Boys School , Birmingham. Regards, Dick Flory

Annemie: I have sent you a photo and obituary for R. W. Holman by email. Regards, Dick Flory

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

Many thanks for your generous offer. Where I have school info I will indeed avail myself. The original researcher who is a trained historian has focussed so far on simple source verification- e.g matching CGWC parental address details with Club minutes, while I am looking to add biographical colour so I can paint penpotraits of these young men and 'bring them alive again'.

Take a look at my early efforts on www.rugbyremembers.co.uk

Many thanks once again for your kindness.

Hi Dick ! :)

This is a photo of John Christopher Coy Jesus College, Cambridge University ...... I'd appreciate anything you can find please !

Thanking you in advance

Annie :)

post-7335-1252091782.png

Dear Dick

Please can you supply anything you have on JOHN ROBERT PETTIT (born c. 1894) who was educated at Oundle School and won a Scholarship to Christ's College, Cambridge in 1912. He died in 1976.

Thanks in advance

William

post-3636-1252270569.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Annie: Afraid that I do not have much as the only place I can find him listed is the War List of the University of Cambridge which only gives the following:

At Jesus College, Cambridge from 1909 to 1913; First Class in Modern Languages

Lt., Durham L. I.

Captain, Northumberland Fusiliers

KIA on 27 Feb 18

Regards, Dick

Dick,

A few names, if you can help. Looking for any more detail about sports achievements, scholarships, where they went next etc. Address can also be useful

All dates below are approximate timeframes

Uppingham

Kerr, Arthur Douglas Garnett Odell 1909-13

Harman, John Augustus 1905-10

Purser, Frank Dulcken 1900-10

Tomlin, Charles Geoffrey 1905-10

Veitch, Dawyck Moberley 1905-10

Haileybury

Maxwell, Jonathan Bruce 1885-95

St Paul's

Coburn, Charles(Isaacs) 1900-1910

Wellington

Trinder, John Robert 1904-9

Bedford

Costin, Bruce Duffus 1900-10

Rosslyn Park has strong representation from Uppingham, Haileybury, Bedford and Marlborough so I suspect some of my names of which little is known may be from those 4 too.

Patterns like this are emerging from my research and at some point I will put all on a master spreadsheet, which I will suspect will reveal school pals playing rugby together on moving/returning to London.

best wishes

Stephen

Archer wrote:

Please can you supply anything you have on JOHN ROBERT PETTIT (born c. 1894) who was educated at Oundle School and won a Scholarship to Christ's College, Cambridge in 1912. He died in 1976.

Lieut. John Robert Pettit, ASC

Educated at Oundle School from 1906-1912 and at Christ's College, Cambridge in 1912

Served as Lieut., Motor Transport, ASC during Great War

Mentioned in Despatches

Sources: Oundle Memorials of the Great War; War List of the University of Cambridge.

Stephen: Here is what I have on your men:

Uppingham

Kerr, Arthur Douglas Garnett Odell 1909-13

Born in Oct 1894; son of D O Kerr, 6 Farman Rd, Streatham, SW

At Uppingham from 1908 to Apr 1913

Served in Great War as 2nd Lt Middlesex Regt, attd to Lanc Fusiliers

KIA 14 Aug 16

Harman, John Augustus 1905-10

Born June 1893, son of J E Harman, 29 Marloes Rd, Kensington, W

At Uppingham from Sep 07 to Jul 11

Lieut., RAF

Accidentally killed flying on 17 Nov 17

Purser, Frank Dulcken 1900-10

Born March 1887, the son of F W Purser, Hyde Park Mansions, W

At Uppingham from May 01 to Aug 06 (played on XV in 1905)

History Scholar at Trinity College, Cambridge (1st Cl History Tripos, 1908-09; Gladstone Prizeman

Schoolmaster at Haileybury College

Served in Great War as Lieut, RNVR

KIA 27 Dec 17

Tomlin, Charles Geoffrey 1905-10

Born Dec 1890

At Uppingham from Sep 05 to Jul 10 (played XI, 1907, 08 [Captain], 09, 10; played XV, 08, 09) and at Jesus College, Cambridge

Lieut, London Regt.

DOW in July 1916

Veitch, Dawyck Moberley Veitch 1905-10

Born Jan 90, the son of Mrs. Veitch of 45 Fetching Rd, Southsea

At Uppingham from May 04 to July 08 (played on XV, 1907) and at RMC Sandhurst

Capt, 1st (DOYO) Lancers, attd. RAF

KIA in July 1916

Haileybury

Maxwell, Jonathan Bruce 1885-95

No one by this name in Haileybury Register, there is a J E Maxwell.

St Paul's

Coburn, Charles(Isaacs) 1900-1910

I can not find him mentioned in The Pauline

Wellington

Trinder, John Robert 1904-9

Son of A. Trinder

At Wellington from 1904 to 1909 (Prefect; played on XV, 1908; Head of Corps, 1909) and at Trinity College, Oxford in 1909

MC 1915

KIA 1916

Bedford

Costin, Bruce Duffus 1900-10

I have nothing on Bedford School

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick,

Many thanks.

One error in my original submission - should be Jonathan Maxwell Bruce at Halieybury.

rgds

Stephen:

Jonathan Maxwell Bruce

Born on 22 June 1872, the son of R J Bruce, Esq., ICS

At Haileybury from 1887 to 1889

2nd Lieut, ISC in 1895

Served on NW Frontier with 31st Bengal Infantry in 1897-98 (medal with two clasps)

In 1905 he married Mabel, daughter of H. Trengrowse of Hampton Wick

In 1913 was Major, 107th Pioneers

KIA on 24 Nov 14

Regards, Dick Flory

hello there

would you have anything on Richard Edward Cook (9 Jan 1898 - 13 Apr 1918 ) and Donald Herbert Cook ( July 31 1899 - Dec29 1962 ) who both attended Brighton Grammar School please?

Renny: I have registers for Brighton College but not Brighton Grammar School. Regards, Dick Flory

Thanks for the info as always, Dick. Every little helps as the saying has it. Thank you again for your kindness and generosity! William