The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Roger: Sorry, nothing on Stechford Council school in Birmingham. Dick Flory

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dick,

Would be grateful if you could let me know if you have anything on

ADAMS, Robert Leonard Powys (Lt.) - attended Aldenham School in Elstree, served with the 1st Bn HAC during the war and was killed in the Third Afghan War in May 1919 whilst serving with the Indian Army (35th Sikhs).

KELLY, Edward Rowley (2nd Lt) - attended Hitchin Grammar School and St. John's in Leatherhead, KIA July 1915 aged 17.

Many thanks,

ASA1

I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended - I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers). Please give me the man's name, school attended and general time frame when making your request and indicate what type of information you are looking for.

Regards. Dick Flory

Re: George Richard Jones, he was at St. Johns College, Battersea in 1915 when he enlisted with Northamptonshire Reg and transferred to Royal Engineers, Chemists soon after. After WWI he appears to have returned to his home at Far Cotton, Northamptonshire. Wondering if he is in electoral rolls there after the war and any suggestions how I can find more about his post war life.

Thank you for any info/suggestions you can provide.

SR

ASA1 wrote: Would be grateful if you could let me know if you have anything on

ADAMS, Robert Leonard Powys (Lt.)

Son of H. Powys Adams of Thames Ditton

Admitted to the HAC on 6 Jun 14

Overseas with the 1st Bn, HAC on 18 Sep 14

Commissioned into the HAC, Infantry on 7 Dec 16

Later served as Asst. Adj., GHQ Troops

On 25 Apr 18 'a detachment consisting of two demostration platoons under Lieuts. R L Haine, VC and RLP Adams left Camiers in charge of Capt. R. Spicer, MC for attachment to the 77th Division, American Army, and were billeted in villages near St. Omer.' Each platoon was allotted to a four-battalion regiment. . . 'the parties under Lieuts. Haine, Adams and Mugford being billeted at Hericat, Herbinghem and Quembergues resptecively.'

Transferred to the Indian Army on 28 Sep 18

Killed in action at Kandi Kotal, Afghanistan on 17 May 19

Sources: The History and Register of Aldenham School, Eighth Edition; The Honourable Artillery Company in the Great War.

KELLY, Edward Rowley (2nd Lt) - I don't have anything on Hitchin Grammar School or St. John's in Leatherhead.

Regards, Dick Flory

Many thanks Dick, much appreciated.

ASA1

Dick, In your own time could you please look up (most dates approximate) Eternally grateful as always

St Pauls

Charles George Gordon Bayly 1903-10

Arthur Darrell Stafford 1903-10

Glenalmond

Noel Houghton 1896-1900?

Uppingham

Arthur Douglas Garnett Odell Kerr 1908-13

John Augsutsus harman 1907-11

Arthur Tulloch Cull 1901-05

Richard Bowie Gaskell Glover 1898-1902

Kings canterbury

Ralph Imray Kirton 1908-11

George Francis Juckes 1909-12

Lieut. Charles George Gordon Bayly, RE

Born at Rondebosch, Cape Colony, South Africa on 30 May 1891, the son of Brackenbury Bayly of the Cape Civil Service.

Educated at Diocesan College School, Rondebosch, Cape Colony; at St. Edmund’s Preparatory School, Hindhead, Surrey, at St Paul’s School (football and cricket colours, boxing), Hammersmith; and at RMA Woolwich.

2nd Lieut, RE in August 1911

Pilot’s Certificate, Hendon Aerodrome, March 1913 (Aviators Certificate No. 441)

Played Football and Cricket for the Royal Engineers

Posted as a Lieut, 56th Company, RE in 1913

Joined the RFC in May 1914 as a Pilot and Observer

Gazetted to No. 5 Squadron, RFC in Aug 1914

KIA on 22 Aug 1914 by anti-aircraft fire while flying over the German lines near Enghien-Rassily.

Source: The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume I.

Lieut. Arthur Darrell Stafford, R Warwicks

At St Paul’s from 1905 to 1907

Team Secretary of the Old Pauline Football Club (School XV, Captain)

Member of Rosslyn Park Football Club and in 1923 he went to Germany with the Club to play German clubs in Hanover.

In August 1914 he joined the Public Schools Bn, Middlesex Regt.

Then commissioned into the Royal Warwickshire Regt.

Later attached to the Lancashire Fusiliers

Source: “The Pauline”, July 1918.

LCol Noel Houghton , Sherwood Foresters

Born 25 Dec 83, the son of G Houghton, Fairholme, Walthamstow, Essex

At Glenalmond from Dec 1898 to Apr 1901 (Prefect; Capt, XI; XV; Victor Ludlum;

Admitted as Solicitor in Feb 1908

Member of Gilbert Houghton & Sons, 63 Finsbury Pavement, London, EC

Pte (Regt No. 1048), A Co, Inns of Court OTC on 31 Aug 14

2nd Lt, 16th Sherwood Foresters, June 1915

Lieut, 1915

Captain, 1915

Temp Major, Dec 1915

LCol, OC , 16th Bn, Sherwood Foresters, 1917

Mentioned in Despatches

KIA, France, 13 Sep 17

Sources: The Glenalmond Register, 1847-1929; Record of Service of Solicitors and Articled Clerks 1914-1918; The Inns of Court OTC during the Great War.

2nd Lieut. Arthur Douglas Garnett Odell Kerr, Middlesex Regt.

Born in Oct 1894, the son of D. O. Kerr, 6 Farman Road, Streatham, SW

At Uppingham from Sept 08 to Apr 13

2nd Lieut, Middlesex Regt., attached to Lancashire Fusiliers,

KIA on 14 Aug 16

Source: Uppingham School Roll 1824-1931.

Lieut John Augsutsus Harman, RAF

Born June 1893, the son of J E Harman, 29 Marloes Road, Kensington, W.

At Uppingham from Sept 07 to July 11

Lieut, RAF

Accidentally Killed in Flying Accident on 17 Nov 17

Lieut Arthur Tulloch Cull, RAF

Born in May 1884, the son of Mrs Cull of Sutton, Coldfield.

At Uppingham from Sept 1898 to Dec 02 (Captain of School, 1901; XV, 1902,

Lieut, Seaforth Highlanders.

Later transferred to the RAF

KIA on 20 Apr 17

Lieut. Richard Bowie Gaskell Glover, London Regt.

Born in Nov 1882, the son of R T Glover, 68 Dartmouth Park Road, London, NW

At Uppingham School from Sept 97 to Dec 02 (XV, 01 and 02; Hockey XI, 1902

Engineer before war

Captain, London Regt, 1914

Mentioned in Despatches in 1916

KIA 5 Nov 15

Lieut. Ralph Imray Kirton , AFC, RAF

Born on 1 Oct 95, the son of Dr Charles Imray Kirton

At King’s School, Canterbury from Summer 1911 to July 1914 (XV, 1912, 1913)

Enlisted in 10th Bn, Royal Fusiliers

Gentleman Cadet, RMC, Sandhurst

Commissioned into King’s Own Scottish Borderers

Took up flying and appointed Temp. Lieut, RAF

Wounded in March 1916

Awarded Air Force Cross

Met with serious accident on 18 Nov 18, which caused his death

Source: Register of King’s School, Canterbury, 1859-1931.

2nd Lieut George Francis Juckes, Rifle Brigade

Born on 19 July 94, the son of Frank Ambrose Juckes, MB of Horsham.

At King’s School Canterbury from Lent 1909 to July 1912 (XI, 1912; XV, 1911; Sports Colours, 1912) and at St Bartholomew’s Hospital (XV) from 1912 to 1914.

Played for Rosslyn Park and Blackheath XVs

2nd Lieut, 6th Bn (attd to 1st Bn), Rifle Brigade on 15 Aug 14

Trained at Sheppey

KIA on 6 July 1915

Sources: Uppingham School Roll 1824-1931; Saint Bartholomew’s Hospital Pro Patria 1914-1918.

Regards, Dick Flory

Some important extra info there, Dick, not least Stafford on the pre-war tour to Germany, which is not recorded in the Club's own history. Will add details to the website biographies. You may be interested in seeing how it's going.

www.rugbyremembers.co.uk

rgds

Stephen

Dick

If I can trouble you yet again, please will you let me have anything on

ROSSALL SCHOOL

Thomas Lawton Goodman (born 11 November 1890)

ST PAULS SCHOOL

Lockhart Clementi (born 11 November 1881)

Thanks as always

William

Thomas Lawton Goodman

Born on 11 Nov 90

At Rossall School from 1904 to 1906

Motor car manufacturer

During the Great War was a Temp. Lt., RASC

In 1923 he lived at 28 Brook Street, London, W1

Source: The Rossall Register, 1844-1923.

ST PAULS SCHOOL: Lockhart Clementi: I do not have a register for St. Paul's School.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dear Dick

Thank you for your extremely speedy and helpful response!!

Much appreciated as always!

William

Thanks again Dick

Dave

Dave,

I noticed via Google Search you have an interest in John Evelyn Thornhill as do I. His full dress doublet is in my collection. Thought you might be interested in the attached photograph showing officers of 2nd Bn Seaforth Highlanders at Aldershot summer 1905. Thornhill is in the back row standing 3rd man from left (facing the pic).

Thornhill's cause of death remains unclear to me. Presumably, he was in the Military Hospital at Gibraltar when he died. But did he die from war-related causes or natural causes. Do you have anything on this?

Mike Deutsch

Stratham, New Hampshire USA

• 2 weeks later...

Dick

Another of a long list of favours

Rumour has it that you may have a copy of the Lloyds Bank Memorial album and I wondered if there is an entry for Patrick Eliot Welshman. he's ex King's Canterbury and I have the register info from there but I was hoping a Lloyds entry would help with what he did between leaving and the war

Many thanks John

Hambo wrote: Rumour has it that you may have a copy of the Lloyds Bank Memorial album and I wondered if there is an entry for Patrick Eliot Welshman.

John: The book only contains photos; no text. I have attached the photo below. Regards, Dick

post-765-1256320355.jpg

Dick

Many thanks as always

I'm about to go away in a couple for a couple of weeks but will be in touch when I get back as I have a couple more artillery officer photos to go with the list I sent you a couple of months ago

Best regards John

Dick

could you please look up one more for me

George R Thornhill attended Malvern in 1900s (in Lower IVth in 1903)

Thanks

Dave

Lieut. George Robert Thornhill, E Kent Regt.

Born in 1891, the son of F E Thornhill, Cross Hall Lodge, St Neots, Hunts.

Educated at Malvern College from 1903 to 1909 and at Trinity College, Cambridge (BA, 1913)

Commissioned into the E Kent Regt in 1912

Killed in action in October 1914

Military Cross and mentioned in despatches

Source: The Malvern College Register 1865-1924.

Regards, Dick Flory

Lieut. George Robert Thornhill, E Kent Regt.

Born in 1891, the son of F E Thornhill, Cross Hall Lodge, St Neots, Hunts.

Educated at Malvern College from 1903 to 1909 and at Trinity College, Cambridge (BA, 1913)

Commissioned into the E Kent Regt in 1912

Killed in action in October 1914

Military Cross and mentioned in despatches

Source: The Malvern College Register 1865-1924.

Regards, Dick Flory

Thanks again Dick

Dave

Dave,

I noticed via Google Search you have an interest in John Evelyn Thornhill as do I. His full dress doublet is in my collection. Thought you might be interested in the attached photograph showing officers of 2nd Bn Seaforth Highlanders at Aldershot summer 1905. Thornhill is in the back row standing 3rd man from left (facing the pic).

Thornhill's cause of death remains unclear to me. Presumably, he was in the Military Hospital at Gibraltar when he died. But did he die from war-related causes or natural causes. Do you have anything on this?

Mike Deutsch

Stratham, New Hampshire USA

Mike

Thanks for the photo - we have not had one of him up till now.

We (the Eatons Community Association) are researching him as one of the 73 men from the Great War listed on the Eaton Socon War Memorial.

What is your interest in him?

As to his death - according to our local newspaper (St Neots Advertiser 25 Oct 1918), 'He was on his way to join the Egyptian Expeditionary Force as a General Staff Officer, when he was struck down by severe illness on board ship and died in hospital in Gibraltar'

Regards

Dave

I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended - I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers). Please give me the man's name, school attended and general time frame when making your request and indicate what type of information you are looking for.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick that would be great I have a Cecil Pryce Harrison DSO,MC RHA attended Eton 1893-97 i am after his movements during the war sort of a when and where if possible

Manks Thanks MC

• 2 weeks later...

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Have you got anything on Eric Elsdale Molson, born Chelmsford 26th March 1894, who I believe attended Cheltenham College and Pembroke College, Cambridge? Thanks in anticipation

Moulsham wrote:

Have you got anything on Eric Elsdale Molson?

Lieut. Eric Elsdale Molsom, R Scots

Born on 26 March 1894, the son of Major John Elsdale Molson, MD, VD, RAMC Esq., (Physician and MP for Gainsborough Division) Goring Hall, Worthing

At Rugby School from January 1908 to December 1908

At Cheltenham College from January 1909 to April 1913 (Football XV, 1911, Captain 1912; Prefect)

At Pembroke College, Cambridge, 1912-1913

2nd Lieut, 3Bn, Royal Scots, August 1914

Went to France and Flanders in December 1914

Promoted Lieutenant 1915

Shot by a sniper and killed at Vierstraate (near Kemmel Hill, Ypres salient), Belgium on 2 April 1915

Sources: Cheltenham College Register 1841-1927; Pembroke College, Cambridge War List 1914-1918; Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921;Memorials of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War Volume VII; Bond of Sacrifice Volume 2.

The photo of Lieut. Molsom below is from Memorials of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War Volume VII.

post-765-1258494675.jpg

Hello.

My Gt Uncle Joseph Oswald Wilcoxon attended Grove Park / Wrexham Couny School, he was killed in 1915.

Two brothers, Thomas and Harold attended the same school but they survived, one being awarded the MC twice.

Thanks

Dick

I have been quiet on this lately, but hope you might be able to help out with more on a Gunner (RGA) officer, whose school details I do not know:

RATHBONE, GEORGE BENSON

Lieutenant

Royal Garrison Artillery

1st/1st (West Riding) Heavy Bty. TF

28/05/1919

Son of George and Ruby Rathbone, of "Ivy Lodge," Holmefield Road, Aigburth, Liverpool.

Many thanks as ever

Daggers