The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Hmmmm. As I thought, father recorded as JW Smith at Uppingham, but Henry Charles Smith by the time AGS marriage announced in Oct 1914 Times. JW not an obvious misprint for HC!

Bramham Gardens ( father's address at time of marriage) corresponds with address in club records, so he is our man.

So we are up to 63 now!

Many thanks, Dick

Stephen

Hi Chris

They are on the village war memorial here in Buckland Surrey. I am writing a history of the 20 men inscribed there.

I would be very grateful for all your info.

James

James - what is your interest in the Bovil brothers - i have more info on them.

Chris

James,

They were old boys from the school I teach at (Summer Fields) where I have written a history of those killed in action. I will extract their potted biographies for you. Have a look at: http://www.summerfields.com/content_108_no...-to-spare-.html

Away from the file at the moment, but will try and do it tomorrow.

Chris

Chris

Very many thanks.

Summer Fields was on my list of emails to write!

Look forward to it.

James

Dec 14 2009, 07:08 PM

James,

They were old boys from the school I teach at (Summer Fields) where I have written a history of those killed in action. I will extract their potted biographies for you.

Away from the file at the moment, but will try and do it tomorrow.

Chris

James,

Get up to 10 posts and then we can PM (private mail) on the subject. Replying to this will give you one more! Then you will be hooked!

Chris

Chris: Is your book still available and, if so, how does someone from the United States purchase it. Do you take PayPal? Regards, Dick Flory

OK Chris!

James,

This is what I have on the Bovills. Hope it helps:

Second Lieutenant John Eric Bovill (961) Bovill was born in 1894, the son of John Henry and Mary Constantine Bovill, of Buckland, Betchworth, Surrey. He came to Summer Fields in the Michaelmas of 1905; some four years after his brother had left. Like him he went on to Harrow and then Pembroke College, Cambridge. His admissions notes there state that he was interested in golf and wanted to gain an honours degree with the intention of becoming a clergyman. In 1914 he cut his studies short and went to the R.M.C., Sandhurst, from where he was commissioned into the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers). They were serving dismounted in the trenches when, on January 23rd 1916, Bovill was killed by a sniper. He was 22 and is buried at Vermelles British Cemetery. His older brother would die nearby just six months later.

Second Lieutenant Edward Henry Bovill (679) was born in 1887 and met with some success at Summer Fields, especially on the games pitch. He played for the football and cricket XIs in 1900 and scored a century in the first game of the season – he would be the only 1st XI centurion to die in war. He went on to Harrow (as his father and brother had) and then Pembroke College, Cambridge. He graduated with a B.A. in Law on January 10th 1910. After his studies he went into business in London, but signed up at the outbreak of war. After a spell at Sandhurst he was commissioned into the London Regiment (1st/16th Queens Own Westminster Rifles), which was one of the New Army outfits. The Queens Own was part of Snow’s attack that fateful morning and it sent in 28 officers, including Bovill. Every one of them was to become a casualty. Bovill died in the attack somewhere on the outskirts of Gommecourt (which the Germans held for some considerable time thereafter) and his body, which lay somewhere in no-mans-land, was never discovered. He is remembered on the immense memorial to the missing at

Thiepval, along with five other OS. His younger brother had been killed in January.

Chris

Chris

Great. Thanks a lot. When I have incorporated your info into my histories, I will forward them to you.

James

James,

This is what I have on the Bovills. Hope it helps:

Second Lieutenant John Eric Bovill (961) Bovill was born in 1894, the son of John Henry and Mary Constantine Bovill, of Buckland, Betchworth, Surrey. He came to Summer Fields in the Michaelmas of 1905; some four years after his brother had left. Like him he went on to Harrow and then Pembroke College, Cambridge. His admissions notes there state that he was interested in golf and wanted to gain an honours degree with the intention of becoming a clergyman. In 1914 he cut his studies short and went to the R.M.C., Sandhurst, from where he was commissioned into the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers). They were serving dismounted in the trenches when, on January 231916, Bovill was killed by a sniper. He was 22 and is buried at Vermelles British Cemetery. His older brother would die nearby just six months later

Second Lieutenant Edward Henry Bovill (679) was born in 1887 and met with some success at Summer Fields, especially on the games pitch. He played for the football and cricket XIs in 1900 and scored a century in the first game of the season – he would be the only 1]st ]XI centurion to die in war. He went on to Harrow (as his father and brother had) and then Pembroke College, Cambridge. He graduated with a B.A. in Law on January 10th1910. After his studies he went into business in London, but signed up at the outbreak of war. After a spell at Sandhurst he was commissioned into the London Regiment (1st/16th Queens Own Westminster Rifles), which was one of the New Army outfits. The Queens Own was part of Snow’s attack that fateful morning and it sent in 28 officers, including Bovill. Every one of them was to become a casualty. Bovill died in the attack somewhere on the outskirts of Gommecourt (which the Germans held for some considerable time thereafter) and his body, which lay somewhere in no-mans-land, was never discovered. He is remembered on the immense memorial to the missing at Thiepval, along with five other OS. His younger brother had been killed in January.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended - I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers). Please give me the man's name, school attended and general time frame when making your request and indicate what type of information you are looking for.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Do you have Ampleforth school? Seems that my John Edward Cyril Bodenham was there, probably 1906-11 -ish.

Most grateful as ever

Stephen

Stephen: Nothing on Ampleforth School I am afraid. Regards, Dick Flory

Dick,

my interest is in the Gaisford family. They went to a variety of schools some of which I know (like Rugby, Eton, Brighton College, Mostyn House, The Oratory, Clifton) others I can only guess at. Captain Robert Sandeman Gaisford and his brother John William were gunners but I have no idea which school they went to (JW survived the war and went on to be a general in WW2 - RS was attached to the RFC and was shot down over Italy in 1918). If you have the time, can I please trouble you to interrogate your sources and see what comes up? I'm interested in any scrap of information which will help me flesh out the people I have started to refer to as the 'gallant Gaisfords' :rolleyes:

Dudley

Dudley: It appears that J W and RS both went to Wellington College.

Lt.-Col. John William Gaisford, RA

Son of Lt.-Col. D J Gaisford

Educated at Wellington College from 1908 to 1913 (XV, 1912; School Prefect, 1913) and at Royal Military Academy, Woolwich in 1913.

2nd Lieut., RA 1914

Went to France with 15th Brigade Ammunition Column on 16 Mar 1915 and landed with it at Gallipoli

Wounded at Gallipoli on 6 May 1915

Served with B Battery, RHA from 2 July 1915 to 14 July 1915 when he was again wounded

Experimental Staff, Royal Arsenal, 1925

Served in WWII with ROAC

Lt.-Col. 1939

Sources: Wellington College Register 1859-1948; 29th Divisional Artillery War Record.

Robert Sandeman Gaisford, RFA, RFC

Educated at Wellington College from 1909 to 1911 and at Royal Military Academy, Woolwich in 1911

2nd Lieut, RFA 1913

Attached to RFC in 1917

KIA 1918

Source: Wellington College Register 1859-1948.

Lt.-Col. Philip Gaisford, Indian Army

Son of Lt.-Col. G. Gaisford

Educated at Wellington College from 1905 to 1909 (Prefect 1908; XV, 1908) and at RMC, Sandhurst in 1910.

Unattached List, Indian Army 1911

31 Punjabis 1912

Served with Mesopotamia Exped. Force from 1915-18

In Salonika in 1918

Indian Political Service, 1918

Resident, Kolhapur, 1940-42

Resident, Western India States, 1942-44

Resident, Mysore, 1944-46

Commander, Order of Indian Empire, 1944

Knight Bachelor, 1946

Retired 1946

Lt.-Col. Douglas John Gaisford, SWB

Son of Lt.-Col. J W Gaisford

Educated at Wellington College from 1875-1876

Commissioned into Militia in 1878

Commissioned into 24th Foot, 1881

Captain, 1880

Adjutant, 4th Bn, SWB, 1892

District Inspector of Musketry, Eastern District, 1898

Reserve of Officers, 1901

Major, Second-in-Command, Essex Imperial Yeomanry, 1902

Colonel 1903

Retired 1903

Regards, Dick Flory

Dudley: It appears that J W and RS both went to Wellington College.

Lt.-Col. John William Gaisford, RA

Educated at Wellington College from 1908 to 1913 (XV, 1912; School Prefect, 1913) and at Royal Military Academy, Woolwich in 1913.

2nd Lieut., RA 1914

Went to France with 15th Brigade Ammunition Column on 16 Mar 1915 and landed with it at Gallipoli

Wounded at Gallipoli on 6 May 1915

Served with B Battery, RHA from 2 July 1915 to 14 July 1915 when he was again wounded

Experimental Staff, Royal Arsenal, 1925

Served in WWII with ROAC

Lt.-Col. 1939

Sources: Wellington College Register 1859-1948; 29th Divisional Artillery War Record.

Robert Sandeman Gaisford, RFA, RFC

Educated at Wellington College from 1909 to 1911 and at Royal Military Academy, Woolwich in 1911

2nd Lieut, RFA 1913

Attached to RFC in 1917

KIA 1918

Lt.-Col. Philip Gaisford, Indian Army

Son of Lt.-Col. G. Gaisford

Educated at Wellington College from 1905 to 1909 (Prefect 1908; XV, 1908) and at RMC, Sandhurst in 1910.

Unattached List, Indian Army 1911

31 Punjabis 1912

Served with Mesopotamia Exped. Force from 1915-18

In Salonika in 1918

Indian Political Service, 1918

Resident, Kolhapur, 1940-42

Resident, Western India States, 1942-44

Resident, Mysore, 1944-46

Commander, Order of Indian Empire, 1944

Knight Bachelor, 1946

Retired 1946

Lt.-Col. Douglas John Gaisford, SWB

Son of Lt.-Col. J W Gaisford

Educated at Wellington College from 1875-1876

Commissioned into Militia in 1878

Commissioned into 24th Foot, 1881

Captain, 1880

Adjutant, 4th Bn, SWB, 1892

District Inspector of Musketry, Eastern District, 1898

Reserve of Officers, 1901

Major, Second-in-Command, Essex Imperial Yeomanry, 1902

Colonel 1903

Retired 1903

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick,

I am very very grateful. What a star you are. I just love this forum :D

Dudley

Dear Dick,

I wonder if you would be so kind to look up 2nd Lt. William Worthington Sanby of 20th NF for me?

He attended King Edwards School Birmingham.

Many thanks

Alan Wallace

Alan Wallace wrote:

I wonder if you would be so kind to look up 2nd Lt. William Worthington Sanby of 20th NF for me?

Sanby, W. W.

Attended King Edward VII School, Birmingham from 1909-1911

Pte, 14 Bn, R Warick Regt, 1914

Sec. Lt., 20 Northumberland Fusiliers, April 1915

To France in Jan 1916

KIA 1 July 1916.

Regards, Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

Do you have anything on

2nd Lt Arthur Charles Atkins, 3rd London Regt (Royal Fusiliers), KIA 09/09/16. He attended City of London School and London University, and was in the Inns of Court OTC.

2nd Lt Alfred Ernest Hamlyn, DOCLI, KIA 16/07/16. He attended King's College, London.

Lt Robert Leonard Powys Adams, 1st Bn HAC / 35th Sikhs, KIA 17/05/1919 Afghanistan. Attended Aldenham School.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy: Here is what I have on your officers:

2nd Lt Arthur Charles Atkins

Born Nunhead on 20 April 1897, the eldest son of Charles W and S. Selina Atkins of 68 Norbury Crescent, SW

Educated at Whitgift School, Croydon and at the City of London School from 1910 to 1914

Matriculated at London University

On the staff of the Phoenix Assurance Company

Joined the Inns of Court OTC on 10 July 15 as Pte (No. 4780)

Commissioned 2nd Lieut, 4/3 The London Regt, 24 Dec 15

Trained at Salisbury

Went to France in May 1916

Killed instantly while leading his men near Guichy on 9 Sept 16

The photo of Atkins, below, is from the second mentioned source.

Sources: The Inns of Court O.T.C. during the Great War; The City of London School Magazine, December 1916; Croyden and the Great War.

2nd Lt Alfred Ernest Hamlyn, DOCLI, KIA 16/07/16. I unfortunately have nothing on him.

Lt Robert Leonard Powys Adams, 1st Bn HAC / 35th Sikhs

Son of H. Powys Adams of Thames Ditton

Educated at Aldenham School from Jan 1908 to Dec 1913

Enlisted in 1st Bn, HAC on 6 Aug 14

Went overseas with the 1st Bn, HAC on 18 Sep 14

Commissioned in HAC in Dec 1916

In April 1917 the 1st Bn, HAC would concentrate on supply demonstration platoons and training of candidates for commissions

'On 25 April 1917 a detachment of two demonstration platoons under Lieuts. R. L. Haine, VC and R. L. P. Adams left Camiers in charge of Capt. R. Spicer, MC for attachment to the 77th Division, American Army, and were billeted in villages near St. Omer.' Each platoon was allotted to an American Regiment.

A/Capt and Assistant Adjutant, GHQ Troops, BEF

Transferred to Indian Army on 28 Sept 18

KIA in Loe Dakka, Afghanistan on 17 May 19 while serving with the 1st Bn, 35 Sikhs

Sources: The History and Register of Aldenham School, Eighth Edition; The Honourable Artillery Company in the Great War 1914-1919.

Regards, Dick Flory

post-765-1263199048.jpg

Hi Dick,

Many thanks - much appreciated.

Andy

Dick.

Would you have anything on Arthur Tulloch Cull, known to be at Uppingham in 1901 at the age of 16, so likely to be there between 1895 -1903. later Seaforths and RFC in the war, but am hoping to find out what he did after Uppingham and before the war.

best wishes and thanks ever

Stephen

• 1 month later...

Lieut. Arthur Tulloch Cull,

Born in May 1884, the son of Mr. Dacres, Garratt's Hall, Banstead, Surrey

Educated at Uppingham School from 1898 to Dec. 1902 (Captain of School; XV, 1902)

Before the war he was a bank official

Lieutenant, Seaforth Highlanders and RAF

KIA, 20 April 1917

Sources: Uppingham School Register 1824 to 1931; Uppingham School Register 1824 to 1931.

Lieut. Arthur Tulloch Cull,

Born in May 1884, the son of Mr. Dacres, Garratt's Hall, Banstead, Surrey

Sources: Uppingham School Register 1824 to 1931; Uppingham School Register 1824 to 1931.

Dick,

Many thanks. can I double check this. Having pasted this to my file, I find an entry which has your distinctive style (see below) and which may have been posted in response to my first ever posting on the club. As you will see this gives his mother living in Sutton Coldfield, which tallies with info received elsewhere. The new information on the entry above re Mr Dacres of Banstead adds a new element. As far as I was aware, Arthur was born in Colombo Ceylon where his father (believed until now to be John Barnabas Cull) was principal of a College. For a man with such an unusual name , Arthur is a man of mystery. Thanks for the info re bank official, this may help me to identify if he is the ballet fan who wrote poems to Pavlova,and was in Egypt on enforced business during 1912. I have drwan a blank on him as an engineer or lawyer, but banking is potentially a travelling profession.

Lieut Arthur Tulloch Cull, RAF

Born in May 1884, the son of Mrs Cull of Sutton, Coldfield.

At Uppingham from Sept 1898 to Dec 02 (Captain of School, 1901; XV, 1902,

Lieut, Seaforth Highlanders.

Later transferred to the RAF

KIA on 20 Apr 17

Source: Uppingham School Roll 1824-1931.

My fault. It should read: Born May 1884, the son of Mrs. Cull, Sutton Coldfield. When I typed the name of the parent my eyes slipped down to the entry below his. Sorry. Regards, Dick Flory