The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Daggers wrote:

A/Capt. John Stanley Edwards MC, Lancashire Hussars

Educated at Monkton Combe School from 1894 to 1899 (Senior Prefect; 1st XV, 97-98; 1st XI, Sports Champion; Editor, Monktonian) and at Pembroke College, Cambridge from 1899 to 1902 (BA 21st Wrangler, 1902; MA).

Math Asst. Master at Fettus College from 1902 to 1946 (Housemaster at School House from 1910-1925 and at Gencourse House from 1925)

2nd Lieut.m Fettes College OTC on 19 Nov 1918

Died at Edinburgh on 6 July 1957

Sources: Monkton Combe School Register 1868-1964; The Fettes College Register 1870-1932; The Times, 9 July 1957; Pembroke College, Cambridge War List 1914-1918.

Dick

Thank you for the details. I shall have to go back to my other sources, as I do not think this fits and it is getting late. Perhaps two men of the same name?

Daggers

Dick,

many thanks.

Dave

Dear Dick

Can you please give me any information on Douglas William HURD, at Marlborough around 1908-12?

Thanks

Perth Digger

I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended - I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers). Please give me the man's name, school attended and general time frame when making your request and indicate what type of information you are looking for.

Regards. Dick Flory

Perth Digger wrote:

Can you please give me any information on Douglas William HURD, at Marlborough around 1908-12?

Capt. Douglas William Hurd

Born on 2 Dec 1894 (Source 1; Source 2 indicates 1895), the son of Sir Percy Hurd, MP, journalist and author, Hillside, Jackson's Lane, Highgate

At Marlborough College from Sept 1908 to Easter 1913

Exhibitioner at Corpus Christi College, Oxford from 1913 to 1914 (Passed Classical Mods, 1914)

Commissioned 2nd Lieut., 7th Bn, Middlesex Regt. (TF), 1913

Lieutenant, 1915

Captain, 1916

Served at Gibraltar, France and Belgium

Killed in action near Leuze Wood on the Somme on 15 Sept. 1916

Sources: Marlborough College Register 1843-1933; Corpus Christi College, Oxford Biographical Register 1880-1974.

Regards, Dick Flory

Many thanks, Dick.

Could you please also check two other Marlborough students, please?

John Philip Morton CARPENTER, b. 1893

Francis (Frank) Wrentmore BROWN, b.1895

Thank you.

Perth Digger wrote:

Capt. Douglas William Hurd

Born on 2 Dec 1894 (Source 1; Source 2 indicates 1895), the son of Sir Percy Hurd, MP, journalist and author, Hillside, Jackson's Lane, Highgate

At Marlborough College from Sept 1908 to Easter 1913

Exhibitioner at Corpus Christi College, Oxford from 1913 to 1914 (Passed Classical Mods, 1914)

Commissioned 2nd Lieut., 7th Bn, Middlesex Regt. (TF), 1913

Lieutenant, 1915

Captain, 1916

Served at Gibraltar, France and Belgium

Killed in action near Leuze Wood on the Somme on 15 Sept. 1916

Sources: Marlborough College Register 1843-1933; Corpus Christi College, Oxford Biographical Register 1880-1974.

Regards, Dick Flory

Perth Digger wrote:

Could you please also check two other Marlborough students, please?

John Philip Morton CARPENTER, b. 1893

Francis (Frank) Wrentmore BROWN, b.1895

Lieut Francis Wrentmore Brown

Born on 27 June 1895, the son of S Brown, Trevena, Manorgate Road, Kingston Hill

Educated at Marlborough College from Sept 1909 to Christmas 1912

Served as a Lieut., 23rd Middlesex Regt.

Died on 16 Sept 16 from wounds received at Flers on 15 Sept 16.

Source: Marlborough College Register 1843 to 1933.

Lieut John Philip Morton Carpenter

Born on 15 Sept 1893, the son of the Ven. H. W. Carpenter, Archdeacon of Sarum, The Close, Salisbury (Master at Lancing from 1875 to 1879)

Educated at Marlborough College from Sept 1907 to Christmas 1909 and at Lancing College from January 1910 to April 1912

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut, 5th Wilts Regt in 1914

Lieut., RFA in 1915

Wounded at Sulva Bay in Aug 1915

KIA on the Somme on 15 Sept 16 (some of the sources indicate 16 Sep 16).

Source: Marlborough College Register 1843 to 1933; The Lancing Register, 1954; Roll of the Sons and Daughters of Anglican Church Clergy throughout the World and of the Naval and Military Chaplains of the Same Who Gave Their Lives in the Great War 1914-1918.

post-765-1270359968.jpg

Hi

I am looking into a RFA officer killed in 1916

His details are Oliver John Stone died 22/9/16, 2nd Lieutenant, Attd 2nd Battery, 41st BDE

I believe he went to Rossall School in Fleetwood Lancs and was 14 years old in 1901 census

I have written to the school but to no avail

Very interested in any information you may have

Many thanks

Graham

Graham.Mott wrote:

Oliver John Stone died 22/9/16, 2nd Lieutenant, Attd 2nd Battery, 41st BDE

2nd Lieut. Oliver John Stone, RFA

Born on 5 Dec 1886. the son of E M Stone of Sydenham

Educated at Rossall School from Second Term 1900 to Second Term 1905 and at King's College, London U (BSc (analytical chemistry)(1st Class Honours), 1911(London University OTC).

Enlisted as Pte (Regt No. 3774), 2nd Bn, Artists Rifles between 20 Apr and 27 May 1915

2nd Lt, Wessex Bde, RFA (TF) on 4 November 1915

went to France in September 1916 with 41st Bde, RFA

Died on 22 Sept 1916 of wounds received from a shell behind the lines on 21 Sept 1916.

Sources: The Rossall Register 1871-1939; University of London OTC Roll of War Service 1914-1919; Artists Rifles Regimental Roll of Honour and War Record 1914-1919.

Many thanks, Dick, and for the photo.

Perth Digger wrote:

Lieut Francis Wrentmore Brown

Born on 27 June 1895, the son of S Brown, Trevena, Manorgate Road, Kingston Hill

Educated at Marlborough College from Sept 1909 to Christmas 1912

Served as a Lieut., 23rd Middlesex Regt.

Died on 16 Sept 16 from wounds received at Flers on 15 Sept 16.

Source: Marlborough College Register 1843 to 1933.

Lieut John Philip Morton Carpenter

Born on 15 Sept 1893, the son of the Ven. H. W. Carpenter, Archdeacon of Sarum, The Close, Salisbury (Master at Lancing from 1875 to 1879)

Educated at Marlborough College from Sept 1907 to Christmas 1909 and at Lancing College from January 1910 to April 1912

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut, 5th Wilts Regt in 1914

Lieut., RFA in 1915

Wounded at Sulva Bay in Aug 1915

KIA on the Somme on 15 Sept 16 (some of the sources indicate 16 Sep 16).

Source: Marlborough College Register 1843 to 1933; The Lancing Register, 1954; Roll of the Sons and Daughters of Anglican Church Clergy throughout the World and of the Naval and Military Chaplains of the Same Who Gave Their Lives in the Great War 1914-1918.

Hi

I am looking into a RFA officer killed in 1916

His details are Oliver John Stone died 22/9/16, 2nd Lieutenant, Attd 2nd Battery, 41st BDE

I believe he went to Rossall School in Fleetwood Lancs and was 14 years old in 1901 census

I have written to the school but to no avail

Very interested in any information you may have

Many thanks

Graham

Fantastic many thanks.

Lots of information we didnt have before

much appreciated

Graham

A bit more background, Graham. His father's name was Edward Mulready Stone, self-described as a 'gentleman' in the 1911 census (age 66). His mother was Alice Maria Stone. He was one of 7 children. The family address: "Cumnor", The Drive, Sydenham, Kent. He's buried in Gezaincourt Communal Cemetery Extension.

• 2 weeks later...
Dick

I'm back with a new project, one that hopefully won't trouble you too much!

Would you be kind enough to see if there an entry for Noel Burgess Michell who went to Malvern and on to Trinity Cambridge

Also Osmond Bartle Wordsworth who was at Winchester College also went to Trinity Cambridge, if there's a picture of him in the Winchester Roll that would be even better as I don't have one of him.

Mant thanks John

Dick

I'm hoping that you didn't spot this one, are you able to help?

Thanks John

Hambro wrote:

Would you be kind enough to see if there an entry for Noel Burgess Michell who went to Malvern and on to Trinity Cambridge

Also Osmond Bartle Wordsworth who was at Winchester College also went to Trinity Cambridge

John: Sorry, I guess I missed it. Here is what I have:

Captain Noel Burgess Michell

Born in 1885, the son of G B Michell, 11 Sackville Gardens, Hove

Educated at Malvern College from 1899 to 1904 (House Scholar, House Prefect, House XI Football) and at Trinity College, Cambridge (BA, First Class Tripos, 1908)

Assistant Master at Lancing College and Bedales School

Enlisted as Private, Public School Bn in 1914

Later Captain, Royal Fusiliers

Once wounded, once mentioned in despatches.

KIA 22 March 1918

Sources: The Malvern College Register 1865-1924; War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919; Hove and the Great War.

2nd Lieut. Osmond Bartle Wordsworth

Born at Glaston, Rutland on 17 May 1887, the fifth son of Rev. Prebendary Christopher Wordsworth, and Mary, daughter of Rev. Andrewes Reeve, Vicar of Kimmeridge

Educated at Langton Matravers, Dorset; Winchester School from 1899 to 1906 (School Praetor, 1904; Bib. Praetor, 1905, School Exhibitioner); and at Trinity College, Cambridge from 1906 to 1909 (1st Cl Trip., BA 1909; 1st Cl. Trip., Pt. II, 1910; MA 1913/

Lecturer, Selwyn College, Cambridge, 1911-14

Lecturer, Trinity College, Toronto, 1914

Author of A Happy Exchange, 1914

Saved from the wreck of SS Lusitania; he was one of the last to escape after having given his life-belt to another.

Commissioned 2nd Lieut, 9th Bn, Ox & Bucks Light Infantry in June 1915

Transferred as a 2nd Lieut. to the 2st Company MGC and went overseas with it in Sept. 1916

Killed in action on 2 April 1917 near Arras. "Having brought his guns into position for assisting the attack on Henin-sur-Cojeul, he saw that the men at one of them were in difficulty. Refusing to allow any of those of whom he had placed in shelter to carry his instructions he started to go himself, and soon after was seen to fall shot through the heart."

He should be listed with a photo in Wykhemists who died in the Great War 1914-1918, Volume II which is the one volume in that set that I am missing.

Sources: Winchester College 1884-1934: A Register; University of Toronto Roll of Service 1914-1918; War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick

Thanks again, very helpful, appreciate you taking the time

Best regards John

Dick - I was wondering if you might please have anything on these two RA Brigadiers in the 47th Division, both of whom appear in my family's letters:

Brig-Gen E W Spedding, CMG - appointed BGRA 47th Division on 5th February 1916. My grandfather wrote that he went to Haileybury College.

Spedding was replaced as BGRA by this man:

Brig-Gen Edward Nathan Whitley, CB, CMG, DSO, TD - one of the few Territorials to become a Brigadier. He was appointed BGRA 47th Division on 31 March 1917. Haig's diary for 22 March 1917 notes him as a Territorial and a "very first rate Gunner". He was gazetted with the DSO on 1 January 1918.

A gunner officer in the Division, Philip Dodgson, wrote the following about the change over in a letter home dated 31 March 1917:

The event of the week has been the departure of our General [brig-Gen Spedding], and I don't think anybody is very sorry. He had the reputation of being rather mad, and he certainly was most eccentric and uncertain. We now have a Territorial General, the first Gunner General they've made, I believe.

Many thanks in advance for anything you might be able to add. (I've checked the 47th Div History and the relevant page of Beck already)

Charles

Dick

Could you please look for Galfred Riddle, late of St Paul's School, who I believe published a memorial book. He served with the Canadian Infantry, I think, and died in November 1917.

[Galfred is correct!]

Daggers

Daggers: I cannot find Galfred Riddle's name in the "Rolls of Honour" section of The Pauline. I have two issues of the St. Paul's Register coming in the mail and will look him up when they arrive. Regards, Dick Flory

Dick

Many thanks for that. I am now told that there is an entry for GALFRID Riddle [corrected spelling] in page 316 of St. Paul's School Book of Remembrance. I can try the school if your registers produce no more.

Thanks again

Daggers

Guest johnwilliams100

Hi Dick

You are very generous with your time and resources. May I ask if you can find anything on my grandfather's brothers.

The 1901 census has Hedley Charles and James Valentine Scouse as scholars in the Duke of Yorks Military Asylum, which was a school for children of military parents.

Many thanks

John

Daggers wrote:

Many thanks for that. I am now told that there is an entry for GALFRID Riddle [corrected spelling] in page 316 of St. Paul's School Book of Remembrance. I can try the school if your registers produce no more.

From "St. Paul's School Registers, 1990":

Riddle, Galfrid Julian

Born 21 August 1892, son of Rev. A. J. Riddle, Chaplain, of Russia

Educated at St Paul's School from Spring 1907 to July 1910

During WWI he served as a Private in the Toronto Regiment

Regards, Dick Floy

John wrote:

The 1901 census has Hedley Charles and James Valentine Scouse as scholars in the Duke of Yorks Military Asylum, which was a school for children of military parents.

John: Sorry but I do not have anything on the Duke of York's Military Asylum. Regards, Dick Flory

DICK

A most interesting topic. I am at the moment researching Clifton College during WW!. I am finding this most fasinating. The ranks alone cover, I think almost every rank from Private to Field Marshal. Those that did not enter the forces also did thier bit, tea planters in Celon, Farmers all over the world, the Indian Civil Service,Members of Government or top Civil Servants in the United Kingdom,also factory, pit and mine owners, as well as producing munitions etc. etc. I am finding that there were very few fields that Old Cliftonians were not engaged in during the war.The Clifton College Register is a gold mine of information from which I have started my studies. If I live to be about 104 then I might be able to write the book that needs to be produced about this very important institution.

All your information appears to be about what might be called Public Schools and Universities.I think this is excellent but there is another set of schools that have, as yet not been researched, and that is, what might be described as the municiple school.If you are interested I have some information about a few of these schools in Bristol,East of the city. Best of luck with your studies and, above all enjoy them.

WELL CHEERS FOR NOW.

JOHN FLOOK.(j.r.f).

• 2 weeks later...

Dick, I have a transcript of the 1914-18 memorial for Witney Grammar School (now called The Henry Box School), together with two more names I've discovered in the course of my research on the school's history. Would it be appropriate to post them here?

Jane

Dick,

I wonder if you have anything in your records for 2nd Lt Alfred Edmund KEDGLEY, 83rd Bde RFA, KIA 17/10/1918. Any further info will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Alex