The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Liz: I have gone through my 600+ school, college and university registers and can not find G H F Abadie in any of them. Interestingly he had the highest marks for all candidates for Cavalry Cadetships entering Sandhurst in 1892. Do you have the information from the Charterhouse and Winchester Registers? I cannot answer your question about the three to four year periods between leaving school and entering Sandhurst but would suggest that they might possibly be undergoing private tutoring to pass the examinations for entrance into Sandhurst. There were many private tutors who performed this service and many candidates for cadetships who took advantage of this service. Regards, Dick Flory

Hello Dick,

Many thanks for your answer and apologies for my late reply; not for the first time I thought I had things set so that I was notified, but I wasn't. I thought it would not be surprising if you had thought this request was a bit much! That's amazingly kind of you, to go through all those registers. I am grateful for that extra info about George's Sandhurst marks - I had info from Sandhurst but not that. Where does that come from - do you have entrance exam lists too?

I have now had nil returns for George from Winchester, Charterhouse, Harrow, Eton, Westminster, United Services College, Haileybury and Wellington - and your searches suggest that I might as well stop writing round. Charterhouse and Winchester sent useful info on the other three brothers, Harry, Eustace and Richard - including photographs of Harry, from Winchester - but it was brief as they stayed a short time. I have been reluctant to accept the tutor answer for the gaps just because it was such a long period, but I may have to, as no other solution suggests itself.

George received a full obituary in the Royal Africa Society Journal when he died of a fever in Kano in 1904, and it said he was 'the best type of soldier-administrator, an embodiment of the "fair and kindly spirit, bred in our public schools", to borrow a happy phrase of Lady Lugard's' - but perhaps he managed to embody it without actually going to one! 'He was a first-class shot and a keen naturalist...a good polo-player, a musician and a linguist, few men have been so naturally gifted or have put their gifts to better use.' But he did not survive to die in the Great War, unlike his younger brothers.

Many thanks again.

Best wishes

Liz

Abadie

It appears that George Abadie was Captain Colonial Administrator in Nigeria between 1897 and 1904 according to this link.

Yes, he was - thanks for the link, Myrtle. I have a great deal of info on him, have read his unpublished letters home from West Africa in Rhodes House, Oxford and have even found his grave in Kano, Nigeria, where I lived for several years...but as I said in a previous post he didn't fight in the Great War so I have smuggled him in here by association with his two younger brothers and had better not go on!

Liz

'Soldiers Died in the Great War' fills in a bit more about 2nd Lt R.J. Moore, RFC: his first names were Reginald John. It doesn't give his birthplace. It does look as if he might be the one referred to on the Ducklington memorial, but as yet I have not been able to find out where he came from. I would guess that they had a Reg Moore on a roll of honour, and assumed that he must be the one in CWGC. However, thanks to the local newspaper we know that there was another Reg Moore who served in the First World War and died in Ducklington. Researchers who relied only on the CWGC wouldn't have found him, as he isn't there. The fact that he was known by one of his middle names would also make him much harder to trace. I will have to raise the issue tactfully with the Ducklington History Society. I don't know how long ago the addition was made: that panel looks newer and shinier than the one for Korea, so I would guess is relatively recent.

I think that Frederick ("Reg") Moore, the son of the landlord of the Fleece Hotel in Witney, who died in Ducklington in 1917 and is commemorated on Witney War Memorial, has been confused with 2nd Lt Reginald Moore of the RFA. As far as we know, the latter Reginald Moore has no connection with Ducklington. The wrong name has thus been added to Ducklngton war memorial.

Liz: I have gone through my 600+ school, college and university registers and can not find G H F Abadie in any of them. Interestingly he had the highest marks for all candidates for Cavalry Cadetships entering Sandhurst in 1892. Do you have the information from the Charterhouse and Winchester Registers? I cannot answer your question about the three to four year periods between leaving school and entering Sandhurst but would suggest that they might possibly be undergoing private tutoring to pass the examinations for entrance into Sandhurst. There were many private tutors who performed this service and many candidates for cadetships who took advantage of this service. Regards, Dick Flory

Dick, I had another thought.

As the archivist from Marlborough has just cheerily quoted that Sherlock Holmes saying to me -'when you have eliminated the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the truth', it struck me what a lot of eliminating was involved here and thought I should ask you: are you aware of any major public school for which you haven't got the record? I can hardly ask you to list all you have but I don't want to duplicate your mammoth effort. I haven't yet tried Christ's Hospital or Rugby.

Best wishes

Liz

Liz: He is not in the Rugby Registers nor is he in the Christ's Hospital Roll of Service 1914-1916. (I do not have any later copy of that sources). I think your best bet is to contact Sandhurst; they should have a listing of from what school each cadet came. Regards, Dick Flory

Liz: He is not in the Rugby Registers nor is he in the Christ's Hospital Roll of Service 1914-1916. (I do not have any later copy of that sources). I think your best bet is to contact Sandhurst; they should have a listing of from what school each cadet came. Regards, Dick Flory

Thanks again, Dick. I suppose as George died pre-1914 it's worth my contacting Christ's Hospital, then.

You would think Sandhurst would have that info, but I have had several exchanges of e-mails with the archivist, who said all pre-1939 records except the Gentleman Cadet registers had been 'lost' (destroyed?) during the Second World War. He gave me the register details, which are brief - date of entry and commission, name of father, etc. Not the school, and not the entry exam position you mentioned. But I haven't got their individual military records yet although I've tracked them through The Times Digital Archive, London Gazette and census records. Of course if none of them came straight from a school but they all had a period with a tutor, that might be why the school wasn't mentioned.

Interestingly, when I was researching Richard Abadie, the youngest son who died at Nieuport in July 1917, it turned out that the KRRC obituary said he was at Eton, which was not true - we double-checked it (that is, I and another helpful Forum pal and his pal) and there was no Abadie at Eton. Richard was definitely at Charterhouse, as was Eustace (9th Lancers) who died near Messines in 1914, but both for a short period. I do wish the Royal African Society obituarist who made the flowery comment about George embodying the public-school spirit had just told us which one... I'll certainly let you know if I ever find out the truth!

Best wishes

Liz

Hi Dick,

Would you have anything on the following men?

Wellington School; Vere Hugh SEYMOUR (Lt, RNVR, also had WW2 service with the RNVR, think he ended up as Lt Cdr)

Whitgift School; James Gordon DAVIES (Capt., 10/Welsh, KIA Feb 1916)

Winchester College; Widgwood William GILLUM (Lt Col RFA, DSO, had post war service up to 1937)

With regard to Gillum, a quick trawl of the net suggests to me a family connection to Winchester College. A son, John, was a student there (he died in about 1934). Could you tell me whether it looks as though any other descendants went there?

Thank you very much in advance.

James Gordon DAVIES

Son of Mr & Mrs. J. J. Davies, Gwynnecote, Wilbury Gardens, Hove

Educated at Whitgift Grammar School from 1900 to 1904; at Trent College, Derbyshire and at Emmanuel College, Cambridge (BA, Nat Sci, 1913).

When the war broke out he was at Ridley Hall preparing for Ordination for foreign service with the C.M.S.

Commissioned into the Welch Regiment in Sept 1914

Promoted to Lieut in Nov 1914

Captain in August 1915

Went to France in August 1915 in command of D Coy. (1st Rhondda), 10th Battn., Welch Regt.

KIA on 9 Feb 1916 (first source)

DOW on 11 Feb 1916 (second source)

"He was a fine boxer, won a bronze medal in a successful contest of the University against the HAC and in July 1915 he won the Heavyweight Championship at the Western Command Tourney in Liverpool.

See his photo below (from first listed source).

Sources: The Book of Remembrance and List of Members Serving with H. M. Forces 1914-1919: Whitgift Grammar School; The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919.

Lt. Col. Widgwood William GILLUM

Born on 16 Aug 84, the second son of Rev. Sidney George Gillum, R.D, Vicar of Kewstoke, Somerset and Julia Augusta, daughter of Rev. Dr. Alfred Edersheim.

At Winchester College from Short Half 1898 to 1901 (Exhibitioner).

RMA Woolwich 1902

Gazetted 2nd Lieut, RFA, 23 Dec 1903

Lieut, RFA, 23 Dec 06

On 1 Oct 14 he married Beryl Mary Gordon-Jones

Captain, 30 Oct 1914

Major, 30 July 1916

Company Commander of Gentleman Cadets, RMA, Woolwich from 15 Feb 12 to 6 Oct 14

Served in France and Flanders from 4 Nov 14 to 11 May 15 and from 13 Jul 15 to 8 Mar 16

DSO (LG 30 Mar 16)for gallantry on 19 Feb 15

Despatches twice: LG 22 Jun 15 to 15 Jun 16

Twice wounded

Lt. Col., 17 Jan 1933

In 1936 married Doris, daughter of Ernest Homfray OBE

In 1934 he lived at Littleham, Buxted, Surrey

Half-pay, 17 Jan 37

Retired as Lt. Col., RA on 17 July 37.

His photo below is from the third source.

His elder brother, Sidney Julius Gillum was born on 1 July 1876. Educated at Winchester College from 1889 to 1895 and at King's College, Cambridge from 1895 to 1903 (BA, 1898, MA 1903). With Bombay Co, Ltd in India and London from 1899; Managing Director, 1904 to 1927; Bombay Legislative Council 1918 to 1919 and 1921 to 1922. Sheriff of Bombay, 1920-1921.

His son, Maurice Peter Widgwood Gillum was born on 12 Apr 16. Educated at Winchester College from 1930 to 1934; died on 22 Sept 1934.

Kenneth Sidney Gillum, the elder son of his W W Gillum's brother Sidney Julius Gillum, was born on 31 July 1923 and educated at Winchester College from 1936 to 1941 and at King's College, Cambridge from in 1941. He joined the RAC as a Pte in 1942 and became a paratrooper in 1943. Landed at Normandy with the 22nd Independent Parachute Company, Pathfinders on D-Day and KIA at Breville on 9 June 1944. The younger son of Sidney Julius Gillum bon on 25 Jan 1928 was educated at Winchester College from 1941 to 1946 and at RMA, Sandhurst from 1946 to 1947. Commissioned as a 2 Lieut, The Buffs in 1948 and served in the Middle East. Attended King's College, Cambridge from 1951 to 1953 (Univ. Golf Team from 1952 to 1953).

Sources: Winchester College Register 1884-1934; Wykehamist War Service Roll, 1919; The Distinguished Service Order 1886-1923; Half-Yearly Army List, July 1936; Half-Yearly Army List, January 1938; Winchester College Register 1901 to 1946; Wykehamist War Service Record and Roll of Honour.

Lt Cmdr Vere Hugh Seymour

Son of W. A. Seymour

Educated at Wellington College from 1902 to 1906 and at Trinity Hall, Cambridge from 1907

His address in 1948 was 195 Goldhurst Terrace, London, NW6

He is not listed in The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1918.

Died in 1955

Source: Wellington College Register 1859 to 1948.

post-765-000583500 1280266655.jpg

The photo of W. W. Gillum:

post-765-044632500 1280266884.jpg

Dick,

Thank you so much for your informative and incredibly prompt response!

Do you have a name for the younger son of Sidney Julius Gillum? Incidentally, W.W. Gillum's adoptive son (through his 2nd marriage) was killed during WW2.

Once again, thank you very much for you help. I am very grateful to you.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dick,

Do you happen to have a copy of the Lloyds Bank Memorial Album?

If so, would it be possible to get a picture of Pte F G W Bardwell, 1st Wiltshire Regiment?

Many thanks,

ASA1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dick

I wondered if your records showed anything on the following man for whom my grandfather worked pre and post War. Coincidentally both were in the ASC and I am looking hard in the absence of a service record for my grandfather to see if they ended up connected Unit-wise.

The Leys School - Charles Kingsley Parker - Pupil there 1912-Christmas 1916. Gazetted as temporary 2nd Lt 25th April 1917- Army Service Corps. Demobbed as acting-Captain.

Thanks

Peridot

Hello Dick, do you have any info from The King's School Macclesfield?

If so, any info on two brothers, Charles and Arthur Bowden, attendence time frame c1900-1910, would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Charles Kingsley Parker

From Penketh, near Warrington

At Leys School from 1912 to 1916 (2nd team Hockey; 1st team Crickett; 2nd team Football; Fives IV)

Temp. 2nd Lieut, ASC

Died in 1934.

Sources: Handbook & Directory with War Record,The Leys School, 1920; Handbook and Directory of Leys School, 1934.

Hi Dick

Many thanks for the information re Charles Kingsley Parker. You may see that now I have some additional information, I have put a post in the Soldiers Sub-Forum to see if I can get any further details re his Unit.

Thanks again.

Peridot

Martin wrote: If so, any info on two brothers, Charles and Arthur Bowden, attendence time frame c1900-1910, would be very much appreciated!

Martin: All I have is For King's and Country: The Story of Seventy Old Boys of Macclesfield Grammar School Who Gave Their Lives in the Great War 1914-19 that shows the following:

"BOWDEN, Corp. Charles, Civil Service Rifles, wounded and losing right foot 1916; at the Grammar School 1906-9; from The Willows, Bollington."

No mention of Arthur Bowden.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick,

Does the name "Thomas Hextall Jacques" appear in any of your registers?

Thanks,

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

Chris: Can you give me a little more information about "Thomas Hextall Jacques", such as rank, regiment, schools attended, etc? I have over 600 school registers and rolls of honour and I don't really have time to go through each of them looking for Mr. Jacques. Regards, Dick Flory

Hello Dick,

I would be most grateful for any information on the Michaelis Brothers, Edward Bertram and Alan Vickers who attended Whitgift School. Many Thanks,

Regards

Ron

Dick,

From a google search which threw up an Old Tonbridgians magazine I presume that the Revd Cecil Herbert Schooling CF, DOW 10 CCS 21 June 1916 attended Tonbridge School. Do you have a roll that would confirm this?

Thanks in advance.

Rev. Cecil Herbert Schooling, MA,CF

Born in 1897, he third and youngest son of Frederick Schooling of Holly Dene, Bromley, Kent

Educated at Tonbridge School from September 1897 to December 1901 (member of Cadet Corps)

In Germany from 1901 to 1903

Attended Pembroke College, Cambridge from 1903 to 1906 (BA, 1906, MA, 1910)

From 1906 to 1907 he was a student at Well Theological College

Ordained as Deacon in 1907 and a a Priest in 1908

From 1908 to 1910 he was curate of the Cathedral Church, Wakefield

Curate at Croydon Parish Church from 1910 to 1916

Temp. Chaplain to the Forces, 4th Class on 5 December 1916

Served in France from 6 December 1916 to 21 June 1917 with 122nd Infantry Brigade (Cross of Sacrifice indicates 211th Infantry Brigade)

Took part in the Battle of Messines, 7 to 14 June 1917

Severely wounded by a shell at Dickebusch on 20 June 1917 and died at Poperinghe the next day

Mentioned in Despatches in the London Gazette of 7 December 1917

The photo of him below is from the first named source.

Sources: Tonbridge School and the Great War of 1914 to 1919; The Register of Tonbridge School from 1847 to 1926.

post-765-050007900 1288197136.jpeg

Thanks, that fills in some gaps nicely. I was also able to see his service record today http://www.flickr.com/photos/11226331@N05/sets/72157625255364412/ so 122nd Inf Bde is definitely correct - someone just got their fingers in the wrong order I think. Took me a bit to track down the Mention - it was actually Gazetted on 24 December 1917 (memo to self, always check the MICs under initials as well) http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30445/supplements/13490, the despatch was originally dated 7 November 1917