The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cheshire Regiment

Guest Galway

I am trying to find information on my other grandpa but i cant get any thing. His name is G Girdwood his number is 50914 he fought with the Cheshire Regiment i got told by my gran he fought at The Battle of Messines Ridge. He was taken prisoner during this battle then the germans made him work on a farm till the war was over. But i cant get any more information other than i have. I looked up the cheshire Regiment to get more information but i cant get any. If you could give me any information i would be very greatful. Thanks for the information on my grandpa gavin.

From Jamie

Your next port of call would be the Public Records Office at Kew:

www.pro.gov.uk

His service record may or may not be here, however, his medal index card is almost certainly. From this it is possible to determine his battalion (from the medal roll) and this exactly where he served. Another avenue you may wish to pursue is the battalion war diary, also at the PRO.

Rgds,

AJ.

Jamie

I've had a look at the Soldiers Died CD and it lists 34 Cheshires with the service number in the 509?? series. There is a good scattering across the Battalions, but with over half being with the 9th or 13th. A further look perhaps narrows it down - 50907., 50910. 50912 and 50916 are all with the 13th.

The History of the Cheshires confirms that the 13th was at Messines in June 1917. However, the attack was much a success and only 31 soldiers were killed. There is no mention of any being taken prisoner.

It may be thatwhen your gran referred to messines, she may have meant the Messines part of the battle of the Lys in April 1918. However, only the 10th & 11th Battalions were involved there.

I think your next step is, as Yorts suggests, to check for his medal index card at the National Archives and confirm his Battalion. By all means, please then contact me on or off Forum for more info.

Good hunting

John

I know his training reserve number its TR2/1325. If thats any help.

Jamie

No. I'm afraid it doesnt help any. Previous advice still applies.

John