The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Archduke and The Assassin

PoW1988

Hey Pals!

I just received my copy of the aforementioned book in the post this morning. Thanks to the recommendation of a forum member ;) I was wondering if anyone else had read it and had any observations, comments or evaluations? I've read the first chapter and I am hooked already!

Lynz :lol:

I have had it for years and read it several times, quite good. If you make it to Vienna - a spectacular city with much imperial past in evidence - you can see the car in which Franz Ferdinand and Sophie were shot by Princip.

I have had it for years and read it several times, quite good. If you make it to Vienna - a spectacular city with much imperial past in evidence - you can see the car in which Franz Ferdinand and Sophie were shot by Princip.

And, even more gruesomly, the uniform in which Franz Ferdinand died as well as the couch upon which he died (or was pronounced dead on). Vienna is stunning, a great imperial city, it can hardly be described. (It is expensive though).

Jon

Hey Pals!

I just received my copy of the aforementioned book in the post this morning. Thanks to the recommendation of a forum member ;) I was wondering if anyone else had read it and had any observations, comments or evaluations? I've read the first chapter and I am hooked already!

I don't want to say: "I told you so...", but I told you so... ;)

Enjoy the read. Let us know what you think.

I don't want to say: "I told you so...", but I told you so... ;)

Enjoy the read. Let us know what you think.

He doesn't call himself mastermind for nothing!

Yup he truly is a mastermind! That's me on to "Part Two: The Monarchy and the South Slavs". I've got to say, so far it has been an excellent read! It's really engaging, no over elaborate turns of phrase, just some good, straight forward, relaxed reading for me. I've been reading some heavy stuff over the past few months and this has been a bit of a relief for me... hee hee!

I'm going to read Part Two tomorrow and Part Three on Thursday! You shall have a full report by Friday ;)

• 1 month later...

Thought I would revive this "dead" thread.

It took me a while but I got there. I finished reading the aforementioned book today when the castle wasn't busy. I really enjoyed it. Gave a real insight to the real Franz Ferdinand, got into his head slightly...I don't know if it was a good or bad thing. The sequence of the events leading up to the assassination were detailed and very interesting indeed. The whole book was further enhanced by the use of primary sources. I would throughly recommend this to anyone who would like to know of the events leading up to the Great War.

He set out to end the Austro-Hungarian Empire, through their own crass response to the crisis the Austro-Hungarians ensured that he was succesful.

Jon

Vienna is indeed spectacular. My wife is quite ga-ga about it. It is her first major German city (here come the arrows!), and she loved it. I don't consider it that expensive; of course since we were there our poor ruptured dollar has done much worse. We want to do what we call "our k. u. k. trip"; Vienna and Budapest, probably traveling between them by Danube boat. We both have German, but Hungarian is a total bear.

Got to Sarajevo three years ago; had been there a few times, but not in 30 years. A few years ago someone pried up the bronze "footprints" in the sidewalk where Princep supposedly stood when he fired. At least 30 years ago many people considered him a hero. Supposedly, in the Great War, France and Germany lost dead one person in 35, the UK a bit less, say one in 40, while supposedly the Serbs lost one in 11! Still a very interesting city, but it is changed. I have always felt that the Bosnian food is the best in "ex-Jugoslavija", and when I visited Turkey I understood; while the other Jugoslav cuisines are heavily influenced by Turkish food, to me Bosnian food is Turkish food, which is marvelous, the super-set of all the Middle Eastern cuisines, as they conquered 60 nations.

Bob Lembke

I must read this, as I teach the assassination every year, but the different accounts of the assassination vary wildly in detail as to the sequence of events, actions and even number of the assassination gang. The version given in the BBC series 'Days That Changed the World', for example, is almost totally at odds with the account I have by a noted Balkan Historian.