The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cambrai 1917

n cherry

Aaprt from the two BE books by Jack Horsfall what does anybody suggest to read on Cambrai?

Not really looking for a 'tank' book and not the OH...so I suppose the question is what is there on the infantry side of Cambrai?

Hi Niall,

If you can wait then Bryn Hammond (my colleague from the IWM) is writing a book on Cambrai due to come out in 2008 with Weidenfeld & Nicholson. I've seen some rough drafts and it looks really interesting - especially as he seems to be moving towards a real acceptance of the crucial role in the battle of the new artillery methods that were unveiled alongside the more eye-catching noisy, slow, lumbering things that we usually hear so much about!

Pete

Niall, an interesting question. Most books include relatively cursory coverage of the battle from an infantry perspective. There is a third BE book on Cambrai - which two do you have already? The OH is excellent. Otherwise, there is reasonable detail in some of the relevant divisional histories, eg 51st Division. The Marquess of Anglesey's book on the British cavalry has some specific material but the various cavalry regimental histories are more helpful. Farndale's book on the Royal Regiment of Artillery gives significant attention to the artillery aspect, as you would expect given General Tudor's innovative barrage. If your German is up to it, then "Die Tankschlacht bei Cambrai" is worth a read.

Robert

unveiled alongside the more eye-catching noisy, slow, lumbering things that we usually hear so much about!

Pete

The Guards?

The best book I've read on Cambrai is 'Following The Tanks' by Gibot and Gorczynski , translated by Wendy McAdam, full of maps , diagrams and descriptions of individual tanks and their crews. M. Gorczynski is of course the Cambrai hotelier who owns 'Deborah'. The infantry side does get covered in passing, but this is a tankie book so not what you're really after.

Hi Niall,

If you can wait then Bryn Hammond (my colleague from the IWM) is writing a book on Cambrai due to come out in 2008 with Weidenfeld & Nicholson. I've seen some rough drafts and it looks really interesting - especially as he seems to be moving towards a real acceptance of the crucial role in the battle of the new artillery methods that were unveiled alongside the more eye-catching noisy, slow, lumbering things that we usually hear so much about!

Pete

Pete,

Thanks....always wanted to get a balanced view of Cambrai as the tankies did have their moment of glory but within hours it denegrated into the uusal slugging match by the PBI.....hopefully you'll keep us informed of Bryn's progress.....have you helped?

NC

.....have you helped?

NC

Hi Niall,

I don't think 'Tankie' Hammond needs any help from the likes of me! It promises to be a real eye-opener for all those who believe tanks are the be-all and end-all of the Battle of Cambrai. He is covering in depth all the crucial new artillery methods, the infantry tactics, the truth behind the German counter-attacks etc etc. His research has been pretty meticulous and I do know that, unlike some authors who are simply too lazy, he has been through all the Sound Archive interviews AS WELL as all our Dept of Documents collections. He went through most tank archives in doing his doctorate which is on how tanks were intergrated into the general 'All Arms Battle' tactics.

I know he's a chum of mine so I'm biased but I think it will be jolly good.

Pete

P.S. My children remind me that he's still a baldy bonce though!

Pete,

Sounds great....someone who's prepared to look beyond the tankies at Cambrai!

Also just noticed that for a change you are following me as speaker at Penrith rather than me following you!

The British Official History is very good for the general view of Cambrai. Tanks are not the dominant feature of the book. I enjoyed reading it from cover to cover. As usual with the OHs, it always bears more fruit when I reread it.

Robert

• 1 month later...

I very much enjoyed Robert Woollcombes book: The first tank battle: Cambrai 1917. The author's grandfather was the IV Corps Commander. A refreshing change from some of the other versions of events.

Also, there is a good article by John Hussey in 'Stand To' (62).

Aye

Tom McC