The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The War Illustrated on CD

VicMill

Hello

Does anyone here have this cd set?

I'm tempted to treat myself to it to help with research and also out of general interest, but wondered how easy it was to search?

So, in short, I'd be interested to hear forum member's experiences before I splash out.

Thanks

VicMill

I was given a CD version of the sister publication the Great War from Archive CD Books - if they do the War Illustrated I would not recommend them.

Pages are curved and not flat which makes it strange/awkward to read and there is a thumb very visible on at least one page.

In my opinion it is not done to a professional standard that one would expect from a business selling merchandise. A very amateur effort.

There are others who do them on CD, I would suggest very strongly considering those instead.

I'm surprised to hear that ACDB have not done a professional job here. I have a small number of CDs from ACDB and the quality invariably is very good.

Ah well, it's always good advice to see if more than one CD version exists and to look out, as you're doing, for reviews of competing companies' product before parting with any money, VicMill :)

Jim

Thanks Zooloo, just the sort of feedback I was looking for, but thankfully it wasn't about S & N Genealogy, which was where I'd come across it, so I'll leave this post a few days to see if there are any similar responses before I part with my cash.

Jim, that's one of the many reasons why this site is so good (and I've not been here that long), no-one seems to mind passing on their experiences - I just wish I could return some of the good deeds people have already done.

VicMill

I was given a CD version of the sister publication the Great War from Archive CD Books - if they do the War Illustrated I would not recommend them.

Pages are curved and not flat which makes it strange/awkward to read and there is a thumb very visible on at least one page.

In my opinion it is not done to a professional standard that one would expect from a business selling merchandise. A very amateur effort.

There are others who do them on CD, I would suggest very strongly considering those instead.

I also have the same CD and I am happy with it.

I have noticed that some pages do have a slight curve to them however with the rare exception I don't find it enough to cause problems when viewing.

I think it also needs to be kept in mind that these were magazines rather than books and that they are some 80 years old. At some stage the original owner (presumably) made a decision to purchase the advertised binding cases and have them bound by a local bookbinder. The quality of that work may also have an impact on the final product on the CD.

I would be interested to hear from VicMill as to whether the same issues occur with the War Illustrated cd if he does decide to purchase it.

Doug

PS I am yet to encounter the thumb. :)

I think it also needs to be kept in mind that these were magazines rather than books and that they are some 80 years old. At some stage the original owner (presumably) made a decision to purchase the advertised binding cases and have them bound by a local bookbinder. The quality of that work may also have an impact on the final product on the CD.

They were also sold as bound volumes, 8 or 9 if I remember correctly.

Peter

They were also sold as bound volumes, 8 or 9 if I remember correctly.

Peter

Thanks for that Peter,

Something I wasn't aware of.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Well, its arrived and I've had a quick look at it (after all I am supposed to be working :ph34r: ). It looks good to me, although I think I'll have to spend some time practising navigating through it before I offer any lookups.

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by saying that the service from S&N Genealogy was excellent. Ordered on Monday and arrived on my desk this morning (Wednesday).

VicMill

Pretty good turn around.

Suspect it may take a bit longer than that to get to me though. :rolleyes:

Doug