The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Australian regular forces, pre-war

Chris_Baker

I am researching chap who was commissioned into the British regular army in 1917. He was born in Toowoomba in Australia, and served as a cadet with the Australian regular forces before the war. He says he attended Training Area 11a, under a Captain Penrose. He passed exams for commission but became a Gunner RGA at Fort Lytton. This would be about 1913. Later on, he moved to England.

Can anyone tell me anything about Training area 11a, Captain Penrose or Fort Lytton? It all helps understand what he did.

Fort Lytton is in Brisbane, one of a series of coastal defences.

So your man is from Queensland. It sounds like he was a cadet in the Universal Training Scheme. Training Area IIa may be the Brisbane area for the Scheme.

Chris,

Have you checked the NAA site to see if there is a file on him? There are files on all sorts of things there, many of which are on line or can be requested to be put online

NAA

Yes I have Christine - although thanks for thinking of it. Actually the site was down for maintenance when I did so earlier today, so I'm going to have another go now.

Chris,

I be able to help with your man.

Lt WG Penrose commisioned in the 4th Light Horse Regiment (New South Wales Lancers).

He was the Area Officer for the Toowoomba Area Training Area called 11a. His date of appiontment was 16th Dec 1912.

Toowoomba is South West of Brisbane Qld.

Fort Lytton was part of the 1st Military district and part of the 2nd GA was based there, Officers were Maj RG Groom, Capt PH Bonham, Lt RL Higgins and JB Brown.

I hope this helps

S.B