The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Battleground Europe: High Wood

Dickie

I know this was due a few years ago now...I can't remember which of the authors was lined up for it...but what happened to it? It certainly would be a good addition to the series, being able to pull on Terry Norman's efforts and combine that with excellent photo's on the ground.

Many other volumes show it as 'in preparation' as they do for the Le Cateau book. I'm sure I also saw one on walking the Ancre .

Mick D

The Le Cateau book did appear around the same time that Mons was published. I have not seen it since. There is a copy advertised here:

Robert

cheers, I never noticed the Le Cateau one coming out!

The High Wood one was I'm sure 'in prep' in the late nineties. It's bugging me that I can't remember who was tasked with it. Is Paul Reed doing the Walking The Ancre book to add to his others?

I sent Le Cateau off to the publishers some months ago. But.... it is a very big book (for a Battleground Europe), not least because Jack Sheldon and myself are now trying to put in the German perspective whenever we can, depending on the resources at our/his disposal. It should be out later this year, all being well. Jack and I should be co-operating as we can on other ventures - the first of which was the Battle ofVimy Ridge, which came out in April or so this year. It is always good to hear at least something of the other half of the story: Ypres 1914, here we come!

I have found it a fascinating one to put together, not least because of the large amount of material available in regimental histories from the British side - where would we be without them?? It is a superb battlefield to visit, hardly anything on the ground to be seen to show evidence of what took place there, but so easy to view because so relatively little changed. Whilst there it is also an opportunity to visit so many who now lie in the cemeteries from the far less well known fighting in October 1918.

As regards High Wood - certainly not on the immediate horizon. In the meantime, with the reprinting of the sadly missed Terry Norman's High Wood, we have something worthy of the heroism displayed at that ghastly feature of the Somme battlefield. I hope we can get one out soon and meanwhile we have an author slaving away on Martinpuich, Steve Chambers is just finishing off a very useful work on Anzac Landings, work is continuing on teh Piave 1918, I am contemplating one on Tanga 1914 - I spend six weeks a year there on other business - and so it goes on.

NTAC

Nigel

Out of interest, who is writing the book on Martinpuich, and any idea of the timeline for publication

regards

John

Nick Wood is writing the guide on Martinpuich and to the east. Phil Tomaselli is writing one on the Battle of Estaires, 1918 (ie the Lys offensive), with much emphasis on Givenchy. Peter Pedersen is working on one on the Australians at Broodseinde. Delivery dates are always a little problematic because most of the authors also have to work on 'civilian' things as well to pay the bills! Certainly I would think summer next year before they see the light of day - at the earliest. I am hoping that we will have books in the series in due course on Suvla, later Anzac, Krithia and possibly the events leading up to and including the evacuations. First Ypres, I think, will probably be covered in three books, especially if, as I hope, Jack Sheldon manages to dig up plenty of German material to accompany it. Finally, there will likely be one on the Newfoundland Regiment - I know, already well covered, but...

NTAC

I was given the contract for High Wood. But after spending a lot of money and time doing research. I found I only had the same information as the late Terry Norman's book, 'The Hell they called High Wood.' Then my enthusiasm to do it waned. However I still have my material that I collected.

Terry

That's a shame, Terry. I can see how it would be hard to expand upon the material in Terry Norman' book but I still think there is much value in having a well illustrated battlefield guide as well as a written history. I do think it is a glaring omission in an excellent series and it would be a shame if your efforts (and costs!) were written off.

Nigel, I think the Newfoundland book sounds great. The Ginger Byrne book was a great read and I'm sure there are many interesting stories still to be told. Also, Newfoundland Park is not the easiest of layouts to interpret when understanding the actions there - a clear guide would make many visitors understanding a lot greater.

Having just finished reading Terry Norman's excellent book I can appreciate that it might be hard to come up with new material. However the book is somewhat dated. My copy printed in 1984, has relatively poor quality black and white photos. Some of the shots are out of focus or taken on an, all to common, misty day. Surely the maps could also be updated with Memory Map/ Linesman type material. For those that like some walking guide hints these could easily be added. What about grid references etc. to memorials, cemeteries etc.

Looking ahead it is only a matter of time before GPS/ Memory Map/Linesman based walking guides come out with audio playback through Ipod type devices. Aready seen such things in action in Paris! There's a thought for our much appreciated guidebook writers.

Len

Thanks, Len. It has been a while since I read the book. I don't recall a strong emphasis on the German side of the story. Was that your impression?

Robert

Robert, it's been a while since I read it but I don't recall much coverage of the German aspect - that is something that could be expanded upon.

Anyone (esp Nigel & Terry) know of any other titles that are in preparation, and are likely to be published. I've waited for ages for the 'Underground Battlefields' book by Mike Dolamore and it doesn't appear as if it is to be released.

Mick D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Just spent some time trying to see if a 'High Wood' version had come out, only to stumble across this thread. I guess it is dead in the water then?

Regards

Arm

I see Pen & Sword have reissued Terry Norman's book, and according to Amazon, the Battleground volume on High Wood by Edward Hancock was due in May this year, but it is currently unavailable, so it looks as if the latter won't be her anytime soon, if ever.

• 3 years later...

Evening All,

Just reviving this post, with a link to a post of mine that Jack Sheldon kindly replied to (post #8) which should be of interest to we members interested in High Wood and the possibility of a BE edition for it

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=205389&hl=%2Bhigh+%2Bwood#entry2034892

Fingers crossed!!

Jim

The heading "High Wood" caught my attention, as did many othre place names. NZers were nearby High Wood in 1916. You Brits are spoilt for choice on books.

We get very very few of your books unless ordered, with a few Australian works. We have half a dozen authors who turn a book over every few years, not a great selection, and often regurgitating the same old.

The ones you mention (without searching) are they e-books or hard back, or both.

Keith