The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German Infantry Regiments

Stuart Brown

The above subject cropped up on a thread by jcviser on German Generals. I do not wish to hijack his thread.

Is there a website which can be interrogated to establish the locations of German Infantry regiments? I have searched but without result so far.

I am not aware of any sites that will provide the necessary detqails you are looking for. However there are a number of forum members with access to various other sources, (251 German Divisions among them) to answer any questions you might have.

Is there a specific regiment or regiments you are trying to trace?

Ralph

Likewise I would be interested to know if there is any sites with lists of German units of the Great war. It seems far easier to quickly find info on Allied units than German?

Is there a specific regiment or regiments you are trying to trace?

Hello Ralph,

You fired my imagination with your reply about Walter Nolting of Reserve Infantry Regiment 2/52 in pinpointing the locations.

I have some shoulder straps brought back by someone who did not go to France until January 1917.

Here are some:-

Plain Grey material, red numerals:- IR3 : IR18 : IR82.

Grey material with white piping:- IR44 : IR56.

Stuart

Hello Stuart,

The ones with white piping were the 1915 Pattern shoulder straps while the plain grey were wartime utility manufacture.

The problem with shoulder straps is that there is no method of differentiating between active and reserve regiments or in that case from Prussian or Bavarian units. The regiments that had unique designs and designations are a bit easier to place.

You mentioned IR 3. There was no Infantry Regiment 3 in active service in Prussian service, it was the Grenadier Regiment König Friedrich Wilhelm I with a unique shoulder strap, and the active Bavarian regiment also had a unique shoulder strap. It could be either the RIR 3 or Bav. RIR 3.

Given all of this I am assuming at this point that the person who brought these back was British and therefore at one point came into contact with the regiment. It will take a bit of time to look all of them up. I will see what I can do.

Ralph

Hello Ralph,

Thank you.

The IR3 (?) I referred to is illustrated below.

Please do not take on a time consuming task. If there are any unique designs then I will ask those questions rather than the dubious ones.

Your assumption is correct, he was British. Whether he came into contact or claimed part of the local intelligence board I cannot say.

regards

Stuart

post-2-1073250458.jpg