The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Comrades in Courage by B.Cory Kilvert

clive_hughes

Hi folks,

Having just been made aware of the existence of this volume (published in the USA last March) which is available on Amazon, and having helped the author with one of his other books many years ago, has anyone got any views on it?

LST_164

I haven't seen this book reviewed or heard it discussed. The author is a stranger to me. Could you tell me what else he has written. What he would bring to a book of this kind? It is a very vague title or perhaps a very large book?

Cory's first book was "Echoes of Armageddon, 1914-1918", which was based upon his researches into individual soldiers, having their medals among his collection, as well as what is probably the biggest collection of battalion/regimental/brigade/divisional histories outside of the UK. For this particular book did what many authors might not do, he traced, corresponded and eventually visited the families of those he chose to include in his book and it's one of the most fascinating books based on one mans dedication to the British soldier that I've had the pleasure to read. For fans of soldier research this book I feel this is a must.

His new book "Comrades in Courage - The British Army in France & Flanders 1914-1918", uses his extensive British military library to trace the journey of units and individuals through four years of carnage. Although I'm only just entering the 1917 chapter I find Cory has once again shown his dedication to honour the British Army throughout it's struggles of those years. One book really compliments the other and so I would recommend you try reading both of them, that is if you can get hold of his first book.

Also before any critic come's out with the old cliche "What would a Yank know", Cory has lectured on the British Army at the United States Military Academy, West Point; the Royal Canadian Military College, Kingston, Ontario; the Royal Canadian Military Institute, Toronto, as well as many schools and colleges throughout the U.S.A. & Canada. The above Military institutions take their military history seriously and wouldn't have any body through the door who didn't know what he was talking about.

On top of which he is the cousin of the late Canadian Lieut-General Sir George Norton Cory, KCB, KBE, DSO, 2nd Bn, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, which is probably from where his inspiration to celebrate the British Soldier lies.

Graham.

Thanks folks,

I did give Cory a wee hand with researching one of his "characters" for the book Echoes of Armageddon back in the mid-1980s (if you have it, see if you can guess which!!).

The following is the sole reviewer's opinion (to date) from the US site, Amazon.com :

Comrades in Courage, The British Army in France and Flanders, 1914-1918 is a visceral immersion of the British Army's harrowing experience in France and Flanders during World War I (though a few Canadian, American, French, and German soldiers are spoken of). Drawing heavily from non-copyrighted British regimental, brigade, and divisional histories (though usually paraphrasing their wording), Comrades in Courage presents a chillingly clear image of life in the trenches, without creature comforts, enduring nearly constant rain, poison gas attacks, enemy bombardments that could last for days, and the threat of injury or death at any moment. An eclectic variety of tales from those who served under such nightmare conditions induce the reader to understand the bonds, loyalties, and sacrifices of those who put their lives on the line. A respectful and welcome addition to military testimony shelves.

For those who are interested, the following is the Amazon.com editorial review of his other military volume (4 private reviewers, each gave him 5-star ratings):

Echoes of Armageddon, 1914-1918 relates the gripping story of eight totally anonymous (surely not :unsure: ?- LST_164) British officers and men who fought under appalling trench warfare conditions and did not survive this conflict. Their medals have been in the author's collection for many years and are named to each recipient. This scant information served as his starting point for attempting to recreate these soldiers' lives and the circumstances of their deaths. This unique departure from the norm enables the reader to link with the author as he travels through Great Britain, France, Flanders and elsewhere in his relentless search for the facts on these fighting men's experiences in battle. This book also tells of certain political events and social conditions in Great Britain that affected these soldiers' families as well as a number of major happenings in both allied and enemy countries throughout the world that led to an estimated eleven million war dead worldwide. The author has made every effort to provide accurate dates for each incident mentioned throughout this book by relying on The Times Diary & Index of the War 1914-1918, a now very rare volume that lists newspaper headlines for every major event over the course of this entire conflict.

If anyone else has an opinion please feel free to keep posting.

LST_164

I corresponded with B. Cory Kilvert a few years back. I believe we got in contact through the Forum, so he must have beena member at some point in the past - although not necessarily a regular visitor.

My memory clearly suggests "nice bloke".