The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte J McCallum, 1st Lanarkshire VRC

RNCVR

A friend has this man's Volunteer Long service medal (Queen Victoria head). McCallum's number was 1001. Can any of our readers tell me anything about this Unit ?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

Bryan

1 Lanark RVC was formed in Glasgow in 1859/60. It consisted of 2 Battalions recruited from the western part of the city previously in separate corps. Companies were formed from staff of Glasgow firms.1 Company was formed from students at Glasgow University.

The corps involved being originally 1st (Western). 2nd (University). 9, 11,14, 17, 18,33, 39,50, 53, 63,72, 76, 77 and 79.

All companies were given designatory letters in 1864.

William Alexander Smith founder of the Boys Brigade enrolled in the 1st Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers when still in his teens.

It became a Volunteer Batt. of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) in 1881.

It sent a number of Volunteer Service Companies to South Africa during the 2nd.Boer War (1900-2).

In 1908 on transfer to the TF it became 5th.Batt. Cameronians.

The University Company becoming the Senior Division of the OTC.

5th, Cameronians HQ was in Princess Street.

Dave

Bryan

As a follow up to my last post the uniform was grey with blue collars/cuffs/piping and the piper wore the Douglas tartan.

Dave

Hi Heritage,

Thanks you very much for this response - very informative indeed. I will certainly pass the information along to the chap who has his medal.

Any idea if a service record might be available for this man??

Bryan

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that info also, I did do a check on the PRO site. I have been told that the SR's for men in these Volunteer companies are very erratic & many are not available as their SR's were kept locally & not deposited eventually in the PRO as were the Regular Force records - we have a similar situation here in Canada with recipients of the Colonial LS medal - virtually nothing is available on these men, only what one can manage to acquire locally, that can be quite a bit tho- I used to collect Fenians & Colonial LS medals to the 15th & 49th Batt'ns (both smaller town & rural Battn's) which were local at that time, for me & was usually able to come up with quite a bit - I expect that would be the case with McCallumin his local area as well.

The fellow who has his medal is very grateful for the info you have provided & has asked me to pass along his thanks to you!!

So, thanks again & best wishes from a VERY COLD Canada!!

Bryan