The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

TV DRAMA ON THE SOMME .

steve140968

:blink: Hi , i been thinking of a tv drama which i think was screened last year about the first day of the Somme . All i can remember is that it followed at least two soldiers - one being an officer with a moustace and one a young private . It was extremely good and informative and I've been racking my brain for the title but to no avail . Can anyone please tell me the title , many thanks , Steve .

:rolleyes: Thankyou very much Halder , Steve .

The Channel 4 film was actually broadcaast in 2005. It didn't get good reviews from most forumites, and there are a couple of previous threads commenting on its various inaccuracies. My favourite bit was where you saw a load of soldiers clambering out of a trench one after another in single file. More highly regarded was the BBC film 'The Somme: From Defeat to Victory' broadcast in 2006. This was released on DVD just after transmission, and I use it with GCSE pupils to show the development of tactics during the battle.

Somme:FDTV is defintely worth a purchase. Some of the Pals here were involved, I believe. Apart from a very watchable account of the attack o Thiepval, the bonus film on the DVD of VC's re-enacting their exploits is fascinating.