The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lancs Fusiliers Action on 13 November 1917

jimmyjames

The 2/7th and 2/8th Battalions of the Lancashire Fusiliers (both of 197 Brigade/66 Division) were in action in the Ypres area on 13th November 1917.

The 2/7th lost 12 men and the 2/8th 2 men. Of the 2/7th, 9 are commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial whilst two are buried in Passchendaele New British Cemetery and the Oosttaverne Wood Cemetery. One, 281225 Pte Harry Worsley, cannot be found in the CWGC but he is recorded in SDGW.

Of the 2/8th, one is buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery and the other, 47317 Pte Charles Arthur Archer cannot be found in CWGC. He, too, is recorded in SDGW.

I wonder what actions the fusiliers were involved in and if the two chaps noted above are in fact missing from the Debt of Honour Register or perhaps a scanning error or other problem has hidden them from view?

Hi Jimmy

Firstly (as I am sure you are aware), you cannot take it for granted that SDGW is correct. It has too many errors, missing men and even men who did not die etc.

The 'missing' Pte H.Worsley 281225 2/7 Lancs Fusiliers looks like such a case.

You will see that SDGW also lists a Pte William Watson 281225 2/7 Lancs Fusiliers as dying on the same day - 13.11.17 (same number, same battalion, same regiment, same day). Not very likely.

Then you will see that both CWGC and SDGW list a Sjt Herbert WORLEY 281215 London Regt Died 16.05.17. Alright, different in some details but very similar in others. Probably too much to be a coincidence.

It looks like SDGW has muddled two records.

I'll have a go with your other man now.

From my ever growing LF Great War database (currently 10,000 or so details) I find only one Harry Worsley in the 2/7th LF, namely Pte 280995, this lad was born in Salford and from 68, Pemberton St, Manchester. Again different Number. This soldier was KIA on 21st March 1918. Cheers Neil.

Terry

Many thanks indeed for the info and for sorting out the DoHR entry for Pte Charles Archer (Argher) and for taking the trouble to PM me. Yes, it does look like a SDGW muddle on Worsley 281225/280995.

Keith

Thanks very much for the info on Pte Harry Worsley (280995) - SDGW accurately records he was KIA on 21st March 1918!!!

With kind regards

• 4 weeks later...