The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"Kitchener's Army"

Steven Broomfield

In case it hasn't been mentioned before, I noticed that two excellent books are on the shelves again.

"Kitchener's Army" (Peter Simkins) needs little introduction; simply, it's the book on the raising of the New Armies. Reprinted by the IWM at £19.99 (hardback) - somewhat cheaper than when I bought it first time round a few years back <_< !

"The Anatomy of Courage" (Lord Moran) might be lesser-known. Written by a one-time MO of (from memory) 2nd Royal Fusiliers on the Western Front, who went on to be Churchill's doctor, it is an anlysis of 'courage': what it consisted of, how it was displayed, and how it was used up. It's some years since I read it, but I can guarantee it's a fascinating read, and gives some very useful insights. £8.99 (paperback) from, I think, Robinson.

Both recommended.

Have Kitchener's Army on order from Amazon - despatch date is supposed to be today.

• 4 months later...

Steven, I picked up 'Anatomy of Courage' at the airport two days ago. Fantastic book. As a physician, I was really interesting to see how Lord Moran analysed his own and his contemporaries reactions to the stress of war. More importantly, the book is aimed at a general audience. Totally endorse your recommendation.

Robert

Told you!