The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Scots brain wave

Desmond7

Jock Bruce has asked info on why Ulstermen/Scots living in Ulster would have joined Seaforths/Camerons etc. Public Records Office Ni have recently compiled a site on the 'Ulster Covenant' - browse for PRONI Ulster Covenant. It seems peopl from all parts of GB and Ireland (and Canada etc) signed. If Jock cross references he might (MIGHT!) find some correlation with scotsmen who ended up inIrish regsts and Irishmen who ended up in SCots regts. worth a try for genealogists anyway!

Here again - Jock ... if you do a search on CWGC type in the surname Colgan. You will see a T. Colgan (15th RIR) and above him his son who served in Seaforths. The father was 40, the son 19. Just a little bot more info on Scots Regts. with Irish soldiers serving.

Desmond,

many thanks for that. I'll go and have a look. Haven't forgotten I owe you a e-mail from before Christmas, I'll try to respond tonight - I've a lot of catching up to do.

On the subject of Ulster, they really should do something about the wild animals that run loose in the grounds of the Ulster Tower. This photograph shows an innocent American tourist being mauled on 2 Jan. I'm trying to get her to sue - I need a new laptop :D

Jock

post-1-1073509632.jpg

Aaaahhh ... the scene looks just puurfect. Cheers - I'm on to a guy here in town who has all the details of local men who died in both wars. If he has more Scots linkage stuff I'll give you a shout

Desmond and Jock

A lot of men from around my area near Edinburgh served in Irish Regiments as their ancestors came over mid 19th C to work on the canals and reservoirs around Edinburgh and married local girls. Maybe they had cousins over there. There are other areas of West Lothian and Glasgow where similar patterns occurred.

Aye

Malcolm.

Desmond,

the younger Colgan is one of mine -

4291 Pte Thomas Colgan, 1/5 Seaforth. Enlisted at Ballymena, probably in early Jun 15 (going by his number), to France 5 Dec 15 and KIA 30 Jul 16 at Mametz Valley (1 Off and 6 OR killed by German shelling that day).

This man is the only one with a Ballymena connection I have.

Jock

I may have couple more - keep you posted

Desmond,

these two other Seaforths listed in SDGW as being born, resident or enlisted in Ballymena

S/3716 Pte Andrew Davidson. B - Ballymena E - Kilsyth, Stirlingshire 8th Seaforth KIA 25 Sep 15.

S/43179 Pte Duncan McNeilly. B - Glasgow E - Ballymena 8th Seaforth. DOW at home 6 May 18. Previously 21982 Cameron Highlanders.

Jock

Guest Desmond6

Some more food for thought - Foster, John b. Glasgow e. ballymena. residence, Cullybackey (village outside ballymena town) 21818. Rifleman DOW (home) 28/10/18 Royal irish Rifles 4th bttn.

Grahamslaw, Alexander e, ballymena, resident of Broughshaw (I believe this to be Broughshane) Co. Antrim (village outside Ballymena town) 19940 Private KIA F7F 23/07/18 Kings Own Scottish Borderers 7/8th bttn.

And if this is of any interest: Owens Prvt. Robert 2nd bttn HLI July 20, 1916. Aged 20 husband of Elizabeth Owens, Broughshane Street, Ballymena.

I reckon Malcolm's explanation would account for quite a few Irish guys in Scots Regts.