The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Good Conduct Badges

Muerrisch

At last my article is published. As far as the army is concerned, I hope definitive. RAF, Navy a bit sketchy. I hope to attract some correspondence.

Enjoy.

Thanks Grumpy. Took a while to appear in print - but well worth it, I'm sure!

Oh dear. I just went to look at what I assume is the MHS's website, and got This!

Looks like Grumpy will have to wait for the cheque :blush:

Oh dear. I just went to look at what I assume is the MHS's website, and got This!

Looks like Grumpy will have to wait for the cheque :blush:

No, you numbskull, its Military historical society, and I never write for money.

The Military Historical Society sadly doesn't have a website and it's unlikely it ever will as it's aimed more at serious reserchers rather than badge collectors these days. In the old days it catered for both but with the mass introduction of reproduction badges it seemed to shy away from the subject altogether, apart from regular features on the introduction of new badges for the forces.

Although the subjects covered over the years cover a broad spectrum of British military history, the Great War doesn't feature greatly, as it's already catered for by other journals. As a long time member of the MHS, I've enjoyed reading our in-house magazine "The Bulletin", as there's always been something of interest for me and I now look forward to reading Grumpy's article on "Good Conduct Badges".

Graham.

Thanks Graham, I am only interested in specific parts of Military History, but will look out for a copy of "The Bulletin" to check it out.

Regards Charles

D'oh!

Could one of you kind gentlemen PM me details of the society - membership secretary, for example? It sounds interesting.

I will now write out 100 times: "Grumpy doesn't write for money and it's not heraldry, it's historical"

I'll look it up next time I'm at a decent repository. Do they take it at Kew?

post-7376-1187653061.jpg

The MHS Bulletin - nothing fancy, plain cover with logo. Hoping this isn't tantamount to treachery here?

Graham.

post-7376-1187653252.jpg

The Committee and contact addresses.

Graham.

post-7376-1187653328.jpg

The lead page and blow me we do have a website now. Now thats a new one on me as I've known the editor for many years now and he'll be the first to admit he's been a bit of a Luddite when it comes to IT. The man in question is also a member of the WFA, Lt-Col Bob Wyatt, a lovely man and always a good source for info, especially the Army List, as he has a fantastic military book collection, which meant turning the billiard room into a mini-lending library with only one member. I remember being mesmerized by it when it was in the early stages of construction, something we mere mortals can only dream of.

Graham.

Tried to find the advertised website;- "www.militaryhistsoc.plus.com". All to no avail.

Graham.

Thanks ever so. Looks like I'll have to join.

Thanks Audax.

Anyone likely to be at the Aldershot Fair?