The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Kitchener's War - British Strategy 1914-1916

truthergw

I have searched but can't find a review of this book. Kassar is an American author and has written a few books about WW1. Despite the subtitle, the book covers Kitchener's career in Egypt , Sudan and South Africa before moving on to the outbreak of war. There is little of the actual fighting here. The book concentrates on the activities at Cabinet and High Command level. This is grand strategy with a global outlook and a timescale which covered post war effects of actions. The author goes into great detail about the Gallipoli campaign. Churchill, of course, figures strongly, as one would expect. Cassar also examines the shell scandal and Lloyd George comes in for his share of scrutiny. In the main, the book defends Kitchener and is critical of Churchill and Lloyd George. Well written and authoritative, a good background to Gallipoli and some explanation of why it may have failed. It is also, and this was my reason for reading it, just as valuable for strategy from army level up, in the early years before the preparations for the Somme. A personal note here. I found the author's presence a bit too obtrusive for my taste. Not cheap but I would recommend it as a library loan for those who are interested in the interface between soldiers and politicians.

Thanks for the note. I'm familiar with Cassar's work in the shape of his scholarly and (subtley) vicious assessment of Sir John French's career and will look forward with interest to reading Cassar's treatment of the boss.

SMJ