The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

dorsetshire regiment

beckie

hi everybody,

i hoping someone can help me with a name of a book, all i know is it has just about everything in it and they call it the bible,

if anyone know what im talking about please help. thank you

beckie :rolleyes:

Beckie

Naval & Military Press have re released the History of the Dorsets 1914-1919, this is in three parts.

I am not sure if this is waht you are looking for but is I believe the offical history of the regiment.

Hope this helps

Malcolm

hi malcolm,

thank you for repling but i really dont know if its that book or the atkinson book.

but thank you again

beckie :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Beckie,

Just seen your post. It depends what period you are looking for.

The Atkinson volumes cover the period from the formation of the 39th and 54th Regiments of Foot through their amalgamation as the 1st and 2nd Battalions, The Dorsetshire Regiment right up to 1948. It also includes the Volunteers and Militia. It also has a very useful nominal roll of officers who served in the Regiment(s).

The History of the Dorsetshire Regiment 1914-19 obviously only covers the Great War period (with a short section on the war in North Russia also where a Company was active) and includes all Battalions. It also has a very useful collection of appendices, including Roll of Honour and Honours and Awards amongst numerous others.

I would imagine that it is this latter book which would be described as the 'Bible' - though I have never heard it so described - but each has it's own merits dependant upon your interest.

Hope this helps

Steve