The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Chronicles of Ancient Sunlight

Katie Elizabeth Stewart

Patriot's Progress is also very good

And please - can't we disagree without getting so personal about it?

Patriot's Progress is one of the few I have read. It particularly endeared itself to me because it came complete with illustrations! I found it far less complex, and a much easier and more poignant read than any of the others so far.

I add my plea to Steven's. It is now a thing of the past???

One of Williamson's aims was to see all things as the sun sees them - without shadows. As well as being a superb descriptive writer he strives hard to be sympathetic to every character. Although the father figure in CAS appears cold and tyranical, we get to see the events which led him to this stance and see the world through his eyes. The 'hero' (HW himself) is portrayed equally dispassionately, and generous and good-hearted deeds are shown along with social gaucheries and selfish attitudes.

I think I have something like 54 volumes of Williamson on my shelves so you wont run out soon.

That's really interesting, Ian. Williamson aimed to see things as the sun sees them, without shadows, every feature in clarity as it had always been - hence the title, I suppose. Was that your own deduction as to why the books are so named, or is it common knowledge?

Clicked on the link Dave and read a few paragraphs.

Not exactly Williamson but I do look forward to reading the rest. From first impressions, the writing looks vivid and fresh. Henderson himself appears an honest, straightforward bloke.

Thanks.

One of Williamson's aims was to see all things as the sun sees them - without shadows. As well as being a superb descriptive writer he strives hard to be sympathetic to every character. Although the father figure in CAS appears cold and tyranical, we get to see the events which led him to this stance and see the world through his eyes. The 'hero' (HW himself) is portrayed equally dispassionately, and generous and good-hearted deeds are shown along with social gaucheries and selfish attitudes.

I think I have something like 54 volumes of Williamson on my shelves so you wont run out soon.

Thank you Ian - you've written exactly what I was trying to say !

Linden