The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Honourable Artillery Company in the Great War: 1914-1919

wilkokcl

I'm after details on the Honourable Artillery Company (esp 1914-16) and see that Naval & Military Press is selling this book.

Author: ed by G. Goold Walker

Format: 2003 N&M Press reprint (original pub 1930). SB. 592pp with 33 b/w photos, nine maps and four drawings.

ISBN: 1843427591

Has anyone read it and if so is it worth buying?

Many thanks,

Mark

I can rather smugly say that I have a copy...the original printing, which cost a fiver :rolleyes: (I bought it in about 1970!)

Excellent book, with a host of detail about men who died either with the Regiment or after posting elsewhere. The two infantry battalions served in France and in Italy; the four artillery batteries served variously in the Middle east and in France; and the Siege Battry served in France. All are well covered.

I'd recommend it.

Not you again Broomers!

:P

Thanks Ken - have just looked that one up on there. If only they were all a bit cheaper......!

Mark

IIRC General O'Connor (of Beda Fomm fame) was the C.O. of the HAC battalion that took part in the crossing of the Piave in October 1918.

He certainly was. Got a Bar to his DSO for it. Commanded 2nd HAC from 2.6.17 until after the end of the war.

If you're looking for details of any specific men, the HAC have files in their archives on all company members who served in the Great War. Their archivist can supply details in return for a donation.