The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RMA Woolwich

Jerrymurland

I understand the RMA Woolwich photographed all cadets up until 1947. Has anyone the details of how one might go about accessing these photos?

Jerry

Photos from Woolwich are now held at Sandhurst and if you contact the curator of their archives, he'll look through their collection for you. I contacted him but was told there is a big gap in their collection for the WWI era. I did however get details of exam results and other personal info on the cadet I was researching. More successful was a photo of a cadet at Sandhurst, of which an excellent copy was obtained for about £15.

Mark

Sorry, on checking my files I realise I've got that the wrong way round: They DO have pictures from Woolwich but NOT from Sandhurst. The Woolwich pic I got was a single portrait shot of the chap in uniform and comes from a bound album they have. They also have the details givenwhen entering (name, age, address etc).

For Sandhurst they hold details of each exam paper the cadets had to sit and their final place in the order of merit. What I was thinking of re photos is (quote) "Unfortunately our RMC Sandhurst photographic archive is very poor for the period of the two world wars......"

Sorry for the confusion,

Mark