The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Narrowing down the unit

Yorts

Can anyone help me narrow down the unit? Cpl Edmund Hayhoe won the DCM in 1917 whilst serving with the RFA attached to a TMB. I have his details from the PRO including the LG entry, but alas no further details on which TMB he was serving with at the time. Alas his service record alas was one of those either destroyed in 1940 or misfiled since!

Any extra information from Artillery experts out there would also be greatly appreciated. The location of his medals would be even better!

Rgds,

Alex. :huh:

Alex,

The listings of staff with TMBs is just about impossible unless you get very lucky. It seems that most of the War Diaries for such units are patchy in the extreme. I would suggest that you try the Divisional TMBs for any division he may have served with as a Divisional Gunner, or the divisions around where he won the DCM. Even then I think you will be lucky to find him on a definitive list.

There is a plaque in York minister for the 32nd Div TMBs, which makes for interesting comparison with the details recorded on Soldiers died, and rather highlights the TMBs as being not near the top of anyone's list for anything.

Not a lot of help there I'm afraid, but good luck with the hunting

Adam