The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Of Those We Loved by I.L.Read

dpgdpg

Came across praise for this book on the forum and thought it would be a good follow up to my last read, The Tigers by Matthew Richardson.

Whilst searching my usual sources for books I found that the book is an expensive one.

Amazon=£75

Abebooks=£55

It cant be that rare can it? It was only released in 1994!!!

Any forum members know anywhere a cheaper text can be found please?

It has just made me want a copy even more to be honest but I really dont understand nor can really afford to pay those asking prices. :angry2:

Cheers

Steve :)

Not sure why its so expensive. I have a copy published by Pentland Press in hardback at £22. Perhaps it was a short print run, and no paperback edition. I haven't read mine yet, but not for sale I'm afraid. You could always put in a favourite search on eBay, and wait until one shows. I've found that you can pick up Great War books on eBay at very reasonable prices.

Came across praise for this book on the forum and thought it would be a good follow up to my last read, The Tigers by Matthew Richardson.

Whilst searching my usual sources for books I found that the book is an expensive one.

Amazon=£75

Abebooks=£55

It cant be that rare can it? It was only released in 1994!!!

Any forum members know anywhere a cheaper text can be found please?

It has just made me want a copy even more to be honest but I really dont understand nor can really afford to pay those asking prices. :angry2:

Cheers

Steve :)

At least You arent being asked to Fork Out £275,for the latest Jazzed up reprint of Wifrid Owens Poetry,as already discussed on the Forum.Regarding "Of Those We Loved"..it is a Cracking Book,try Calling George Murdoch at Armchair Auctions,he Might be able to help you get a Copy at a reasonable price,His Number is 01264 362048.Good Luck,Regards Russ.

there is a copy on e-bay, starting price 0.99

regards John

Have you thought of getting a copy from your public library via interlibrary loan. My library charges 50p for this service.

Oh dear. There is indeed a copy now on Ebay. Me n my big gob. :D

I think a visit to my local library is on the cards for now.

Thanks to all for the above posts.

Steve.

The volume didn't reach a large circulation and latterly copies were only available from Ray Westlake (and later Tom Morgan). It's always been under-rated and copies in the book trade go for significant sums - it is an excellent read.

• 1 month later...

I have just finished this book and I could not agree more with the statement of this being one of the best accounts around.

The chapters on the Somme attacks gripped me like no book has for quite some time.......

Excellent!!