The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Resettlement of French and Belgian civilians after the war

Michael Molkentin

Has anyone come across any work on the resettlement of French and Belgian civilains after the war, and the rebuilding of their communities?

This is not much, but in an article in the local paper the Reverend Beamish of Holmfirth mentioned compulsory saving by refugees at a meeting of the local Belgium Refugee Sub-Committee in 1914. Those who found work in 1914 would have saved quite a bit by the time they went home in 1919. I do not know if this was a purely local idea or whether it was normal on a national level.

The Vicar said. “Regular work has been found for three of the Belgium men and one woman; 25% per week of his wages is given to the worker, 25% is taken by our committee, and 50% is put in the bank in the name of the refugee by one of our committee, to be given to him when he returns to Belgium.” He also said “Up to last week we paid Mrs. Lindley, of Magnum, £4 10s. a week. She catered for four families (12 persons); each adult was given of this money 1/- a week pocket money.”

So it looks as if their money was controlled in this particular area to ensure they had something to go home with, and make a contribution to the local fund that supported the group.

I have not heard of a book on this subject, but there are occasional reports on refugees in local newspapers of the time. You are a bit too far away to get at them, but maybe the Times online will have something? Or maybe not!

So far as rebuilding is concerned I know Huddersfield Town Council adopted two French villages that local men had fought over. The mayor and a group of councillors visited the villages and arranged to pay for new wells to restore a clean water supply and other similar work. People had got used to collecting for all sorts of wartime funds and they seem to have just switched over to collecting for war memorials and distress relief in France. So far as Belgium goes, there was a National Belgium Famine Relief Fund collecting throughout the war, I would imagine that would have continued, for a while at least.

Tony.

This is not much, but in an article in the local paper the Reverend Beamish of Holmfirth mentioned compulsory saving by refugees at a meeting of the local Belgium Refugee Sub-Committee in 1914. Those who found work in 1914 would have saved quite a bit by the time they when home in 1919. I do not know if this was a purely local idea or whether it was normal on a national level.

The Vicar said. “Regular work has been found for three of the Belgium men and one woman; 25% per week of his wages is given to the worker, 25% is taken by our committee, and 50% is put in the bank in the name of the refugee by one of our committee, to be given to him when he returns to Belgium.” He also said “Up to last week we paid Mrs. Lindley, of Magnum, £4 10s. a week. She catered for four families (12 persons); each adult was given of this money 1/- a week pocket money.”

So it looks as if their money was controlled in this particular area to ensure they had something to go home with, and make a contribution to the local fund that supported the group.

I have not heard of a book on this subject, but there are occasional reports on refugees in local newspapers of the time. You are a bit too far away to get at them, but maybe the Times online will have something? Or maybe not!

So far as rebuilding is concerned I know Huddersfield Town Council adopted two French villages that local men had fought over. The mayor and a group of councillors visited the villages and arranged to pay for new wells to restore a clean water supply and other similar work. People had got used to collecting for all sorts of wartime funds and they seem to have just switched over to collecting for war memorials and distress relief in France. So far as Belgium goes, there was a National Belgium Famine Relief Fund collecting throughout the war, I would imagine that would have continued, for a while at least.

Tony.

Thanks Tony

Very interesting.

It sounds like this field is waiting for someone with a bunch of time to come along and get stuck into it.

Michael

Michael

There is this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/After-Ruins-Restor...5971&sr=1-5

But its quite pricy!

Swizz

I'm currently reading this outstanding book...it's not the easiest read, but packed full of well researched factual information.

There is a cheaper copy out there...£40 + P&P still a bit pricey....I got my copy from the local library...took them a couple of weeks to find a copy, but they did. Just give them the title/author and ISBN which is (ISBN: 0859894916), and probably a .50p charge.....much cheaper and very recomended read,

cheers, Jon

Jon

That's interesting - I haven't read the book myself but I have read an article by the same author on this topic and your assessment of the book sounds very similar to my views on the article! Its true that this is an under-researched topic which has the potential for a lot more work on it.

Swizz